Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian fishing reel brand forced to close after 102 years amid ‘drastic’ price hike

Golden Duck

Has it started?

Alvey mangled just days after the Australian election - while the ew PM Anthuneasy,"the maker of things" is on a junket to attempt to engage with Sleepy Beau Peep

After more than a century in business, Australian fishing reel brand Alvey Reels will shut up shop permanently.

Increased cost pressures have forced the Queensland-based manufacturer to close its doors after 102 years, according to a statement released on Monday.

The brand almost collapsed in 2017, but was saved by an investor. Picture: Facebook

The company experienced significant export market growth, product innovation and expansion as it entered its centenary year of 2020.

Its success came off the back of an announcement in 2017 from Bruce Alvey – a descendant of the man who founded the business in 1920 – that it would need to shut because of plunging sales.

It ultimately attracted attention from Con Athans, who expanded the business to include a broader range of gear, including high-end apparel.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/australian-fishing-reel-brand-forced-to-close-after-102-years-amid-drastic-price-hikes/news-story/63caad4108d0191fc1da4a3269ae64c4

There were rumours that Elon Muskie was approached to invest; but, apparently he decided to pike out.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Sad 2

Sad.

Who didn't use an Alvey growing up?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Sad.

Who didn't use an Alvey growing up?

Yeah, I have an urge to make a purchase.

The combo in the pic doesn't seem right.  I thought you needed an oversized first eyelet.  That, of course, means I'll have to look for a matching surf rod.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Yeah, I have an urge to make a purchase.

The combo in the pic doesn't seem right.  I thought you needed an oversized first eyelet.  That, of course, means I'll have to look for a matching surf rod.

Me too. It's been way too long since I relaxed on a bank waiting for a bite.

I see what your saying. I couldn't put my finger on it, but noticed it didn't seem "quite right". Just had a quick Google and they seem to have dropped it. 

Might have to go old school on eBay.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Me too. It's been way too long since I relaxed on a bank waiting for a bite.

I see what your saying. I couldn't put my finger on it, but noticed it didn't seem "quite right". Just had a quick Google and they seem to have dropped it. 

Might have to go old school on eBay.

s-l400.jpg

I just had a look at surf rods at BCF.  There's a Daiwa with an obviously much larger first eyelet than any of the Alvey rods. I'm surprised by that.

I was thinking of hitting the op shops too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Has it started?

Alvey mangled just days after the Australian election - while the ew PM Anthuneasy,"the maker of things" is on a junket to attempt to engage with Sleepy Beau Peep

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/australian-fishing-reel-brand-forced-to-close-after-102-years-amid-drastic-price-hikes/news-story/63caad4108d0191fc1da4a3269ae64c4

There were rumours that Elon Muskie was approached to invest; but, apparently he decided to pike out.

I seem to recall them almost going bankrupt a few years back, having a cry about it and getting money thrown at them by the government.

• Like 2

I hate when a trusted company with a good products shuts down especially when said products are made in one's own homeland instead of overseas.

• Like 4

Yep; no reel could throw out a bunch of grapes quite like an Alvey...that said they are low tech and nearly indestructible, which may not have  been in their favour. I went into a tackle shop the other day and noticed $700 ++ for a spinning reel, WTF? An Alvey would never be that expensive..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Alvey mangled

Wasn't he an Australian adventurer come TV doco maker ? B)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1