Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The case for speaking politely to animals

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

How we speak matters to animals. Horses, pigs and wild horses can distinguish between negative and positive sounds from their fellow species and near relatives, as well as from human speech, according to new research in behavioral biology at the University of Copenhagen.

The idea of "horse whisperers"—those with a talent for communicating with horses—may bring a chuckle to many. But according to new research from the University of Copenhagen and ETH Zurich, there may be something about their whispering skills. In an international collaboration, along with researchers Anne-Laure Maigrot and Edna Hillmann, behavioral biologist Elodie Briefer of the University of Copenhagen's Department of Biology investigated whether a range of animals can distinguish between positively and negatively charged sounds.

https://phys.org/news/2022-05-case-politely-animals.html

The study, published in BMC Biology, provides insight into the history of emotional development and opens up interesting perspectives with regard to animal welfare.

https://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12915-022-01311-5

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Animals may not understand our language, but they do understand the emotion and intent behind our words.

I knew that for a long time.

A very long time ago my brother asked me to bring his dog to the vet. He couldn't get a day off, so he asked me.

Ok, so I went with his dog and his wife to the vet. The dog was always hyper-active, but in the waiting room she was quite calm, sitting right beside me. My sister-in-law was quite amazed, because her dog was always freaking out when she went to the vet.

After waiting for half an hour, the vet's assistent invited us in to the consulting room.

The table on which the dog was to be examined stood in the middle. I knocked a couple of times on the leather cushion to signal the dog to jump on it. And she did.

The vet gave her an injection against whatever, and we left.

My sister-in-law appeared to be amazed..."When T. and I go with M. to the vet, everybody present has to almost fight with M. (the dog) to get her on the examining table.

I guess the dog just liked me or trusted me, or fk what.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2