Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What would happen if you moved at twice the speed of light ?

UM-Bot

We're all traveling forward in time at the rate of 1 second per second. We just don't know how to accelerate or decelerate yet.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've pondered this before.

I think if you could move twice the speed of light, then to an observer on your path, you'd appear to move in opposite directions away from wherever they're standing, at the same time.

Take alphabetical points A, B, C & D etc. in a straight line, all separated by two light seconds. You start at A, the observer stands at D

When you're at point A, one second later, the light from where you started at point A has reached halfway between point A and B. You, however are at Point B.

One second later, and the light from point A has reached point B. Your light from Point B is halfway between B and C, and you're at point C.

One second later, and the light from point A is midway between point B and C. The light from point B has reached point C. The light from point C is half way between C and D, and you've reached Point D -- where the observer is, and where he first sees you.

A second later, the light from point C now arrives. Then a second later, the light from point B, then finally the light from point A.

Meanwhile, you've continued to move on, to E, F & G, and the light from that direction will also arrive to the observer, spaced out at twice the speed of light.

• Like 2

So, is Science now saying that Einstein was wrong? Where does the energy come from to move something 2x faster after it has already gained infinite mass? That doesn't make any sense, I mean unless Einstein was wrong. I don't see anyone saying that he was wrong. I know, Aliens, Bigfoot are real, so why not?

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 1

E=mc2     Means energy equals Mass at the speed of light squared …right?   Does squared mean the speed of light times itself?  The speed of light x the speed of light?      (please and thank you;)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

What would happen if you moved at twice the speed of light ?

My mouth would wobble around uncontrollably, and my cheeks would inflate.

Next question?

;)

• Haha 2

Will you be able to hear yourself before you speak? 

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lightly said:

E=mc2     Means energy equals Mass at the speed of light squared …right?   Does squared mean the speed of light times itself?  The speed of light x the speed of light?      (please and thank you;)

A 'power' takes precedence over a multiplier, so it's.....

E = C x C x M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, lightly said:

Here's a great explanation :

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks onlooker !    Very interesting, and helpful.     …now I have even more questions!*.. . for what appear to be ever evolving answers!* :P

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Portre said:

But the author never got around to answering the question,

He couldn't. The black hole swallowed him as he tried to move at twice the speed of light.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 1:26 AM, acute said:

My mouth would wobble around uncontrollably, and my cheeks would inflate.

Next question?

;)

And yet the light we powered and produce with two batteries, can travel at light speed. 

On 5/24/2022 at 11:31 PM, Hyperionxvii said:

So, is Science now saying that Einstein was wrong? Where does the energy come from to move something 2x faster after it has already gained infinite mass? That doesn't make any sense, I mean unless Einstein was wrong. I don't see anyone saying that he was wrong. I know, Aliens, Bigfoot are real, so why not?

Did you not even read the first paragraph of the article?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Did you not even read the first paragraph of the article?

Did you even read the title of the article? 'What would happen if you moved at twice the speed of light ?'

YOU is not a strange particle. At least most people are not. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

YOU is not a strange particle. At least most people are not. 

~

You-Must-Be-The-Speed-Of-Light-Because-T

~

So who wrote this article again?

The farthest star we've ever detected is 28 billion light years away. So you can pretty much give up on charting the entire Universe. 

That is simply not true. For obvious reasons we have not detected anything that far away. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

E=MC2

Well, the M can be removed, the Higgs Field is confirmed to exist. It means mass is not an intrinsic property of matter, but matter gets it from interacting with the Higgs Field.

Currently two proposed methods to decouple matter from the Higgs Field exist. One cannot be done, it involves heating space to astronomical temperatures last seen shortly after the Big Bang. The other would be an intensive light field around the spacecraft. 

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

E=MC2

Well, the M can be removed, the Higgs Field is confirmed to exist. It means mass is not an intrinsic property of matter, but matter gets it from interacting with the Higgs Field.

Uhm, I’m not sure where you get that from. Mass is indeed an intrinsic property of of matter, but now we have evidence that the Higgs boson and associated field facilitates that mass. 

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Currently two proposed methods to decouple matter from the Higgs Field exist. One cannot be done, it involves heating space to astronomical temperatures last seen shortly after the Big Bang. The other would be an intensive light field around the spacecraft. 

So far those methods are highly speculative and does not invalidate the theory that mass is an intricate property of matter. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

• 2 weeks later...
My theory (based on no science)

Time travel is probably possible, but not while we have mass.

Know what doesn't have mass? A soul.

When we die, we shed our physical bodies that contain the mass, and our spirit moves on, which according to mediums display the ability to move back and forth through time and are simply an energy, not a physical construct.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:18 PM, badeskov said:

So who wrote this article again?

That is simply not true. For obvious reasons we have not detected anything that far away. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

Those reasons are not obvious to me.  The observable universe is a sphere extending 46.5 billion light years due to the universe expanding for 13.8 billion years