Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

19 students 2 teachers dead in Texas elementary school shooting

susieice

I can't understand any justification for waiting so long to get involved.

Did nobody know who was in charge, or were the Police inadequately equipped?

Either way, the buck stops with the Chief.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, acute said:

One of the most sickening reasons I've heard, and it's rather popular among some groups is that, "they (cops) would've been wrong, anyway, why do anything at all?" 

When people are dying, due to certain circumstances, not intervening is perfectly acceptable, apparently. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

It doesn't help,  should have been charged with negligence and incompetence. In other countries he'd be jailed, only American cop union can continue protecting such loosers 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

It doesn't help,  should have been charged with negligence and incompetence. In other countries he'd be jailed, only American cop union can continue protecting such loosers 

In which country was a police chief gaoled?

Edited by Golden Duck

If the man has a conscience AT ALL, he should suffer from crippling guilt for the rest of his life. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, acute said:

I can't understand any justification for waiting so long...

The thread title should read, "Authorities delay Uvalde Police Chief's Firing Over Delayed Response"

Wait, how is the school board responsible for firing the police cheif?   Shouldn't that be the mayor and city council?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

School children being murdered along with an Officers wife who was also a teacher, and he was promptly disarmed and lead away. That Police chief should be in litigation for years. If the gunshots were still happening even as they stood outside he should be charged with negligent homicide.

Edited by MGB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Wait, how is the school board responsible for firing the police cheif?   Shouldn't that be the mayor and city council?  

He was the School District Police chief.  They had their own.  The district had him and 3-4 other officers.  Strange huh?

• Like 5

On 8/26/2022 at 4:21 AM, Golden Duck said:

In which country was a police chief gaoled?

There's been a few top cops imprisoned....

Ex-Thai police chief convicted of suspect killing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-61728101

Corrupt British police chief Ali Dizaei jailed again

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/corrupt-police-chief-ali-dizaei-jailed-again-6872961.html

Duquesne, Pennsylvania, Police Chief Thomas Dunlevy is jailed for alleged witness intimidation

https://www.newsweek.com/police-chief-jailed-alleged-witness-intimidation-rape-case-involving-friend-1657907

Former Hampshire police chief has today been jailed for a series of humiliating acts on young boys.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/2259695.former-police-chief-jailed-for-making-boys-drop-their-trousers/

Former New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik, once selected to the US Department of Homeland Security, has been sentenced to four years in prison for tax evasion

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-19/former-nyc-police-chief-jailed/335972

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

He was the School District Police chief.  They had their own.  The district had him and 3-4 other officers.  Strange huh?

That is odd.   My wife and I were wondering the same as Desert when we watched some news the other day.   They said the school board was meeting to decide if they should fire the police chief.  

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 8:16 AM, acute said:

376 "good guys with guns" failed miserably. Against one skinny kid. 

How do that many officers sit on their hands for an hour? 

I get what your saying but nearly 400 officers stood by and all waiting for the chiefs ok? Not one took the initiative to end this quickly? 

There's plenty blame to go round. And a good thrashing of 2A to boot. 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:14 AM, Tatetopa said:

There's a good chance that School District Police really weren't all that well armed. They were waiting for the local police to arrive because they would be better armed. I guess a SWAT team was dispatched, but if the Feds came in, they would take over the scene. That's how the chain works. I'm not making excuses. First guy in should have moved.

Didn't something similar happen in Florida at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. I seem to remember a school security guard was fired because he didn't enter the school and waited for police to arrive. I'll have to google that.

Edited by susieice

Yep...All the security guards were fired by the School Board.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/marjory-stoneman-douglas-security-guards-fired-by-school-board/21947649#

One was arrested and charged.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/4/scot-peterson-marjory-stoneman-douglas-security-gu/

The security guard at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during last year’s mass shooting has been arrested and charged with child neglect and perjury over his actions that day.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement announced the arrest Tuesday of Scot Peterson and accused him of failing his duty.

“The FDLE investigation shows former Deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others,” FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearinger said in the statement. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

The charges, according to a statement posted by the Sentinel, are seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

There's a good chance that School District Police really weren't all that well armed. They were waiting for the local police to arrive because they would be better armed. I guess a SWAT team was dispatched, but if the Feds came in, they would take over the scene. That's how the chain works. I'm not making excuses. First guy in should have moved.

Didn't something similar happen in Florida at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. I seem to remember a school security guard was fired because he didn't enter the school and waited for police to arrive. I'll have to google that.

I guess all school districts are different.   My cousin is a school cop and she is armed, but her job is essentially as a glorified security guard with the ability to arrest vandals.   It does not make sense to expect a school cop to be trained like a regular cop.  My cousin is because she has been a university cop, a state cop and a local cop in several towns around but when she got fired from her last job the only people who would hire her was the school district.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

Yep...All the security guards were fired by the School Board.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/marjory-stoneman-douglas-security-guards-fired-by-school-board/21947649#

One was arrested and charged.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/4/scot-peterson-marjory-stoneman-douglas-security-gu/

The security guard at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during last year’s mass shooting has been arrested and charged with child neglect and perjury over his actions that day.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement announced the arrest Tuesday of Scot Peterson and accused him of failing his duty.

“The FDLE investigation shows former Deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others,” FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearinger said in the statement. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

The charges, according to a statement posted by the Sentinel, are seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.

It seems like they expected too much, except for the charge of perjury indicates he lied about something.  Even so a security guard at a school should not be epected to act like a secret service security personnel.   Definitely there was something else going on if they fired him over this.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

I guess all school districts are different.   My cousin is a school cop and she is armed, but her job is essentially as a glorified security guard with the ability to arrest vandals.   It does not make sense to expect a school cop to be trained like a regular cop.  My cousin is because she has been a university cop, a state cop and a local cop in several towns around but when she got fired from her last job the only people who would hire her was the school district.

I really don't think a school cop is as well trained or armed like a regular local cop. Swat teams are definitely better armed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

I really don't think a school cop is as well trained or armed like a regular local cop. Swat teams are definitely better armed.

That's true.  I would not let my child attend a school that had armed security guards because they are not trained well.  Cops aren't even trained well in most small towns.   The thing about swat is that I am curious how far away a swat team was from such a small town as Uvalde.   The regular police need better training and we need to quit expecting security guards with  no training to act like cops (I know because a couple of my relatives have been security guards for different places with  no training, just a flash light, a weapon and a route they had to patrol).

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It seems like they expected too much, except for the charge of perjury indicates he lied about something.  Even so a security guard at a school should not be epected to act like a secret service security personnel.   Definitely there was something else going on if they fired him over this.   

This is from October 2021.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/broward-county-cop-scot-peterson-defends-parkland-criminal-trial

This is from August 2021. Sorry it's FOX but it's the first one I found. Still looking to see if the trial has already been held.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/school-officer-parkland-shooting-face-trial

Edited by susieice

This was published in July 2022. Peterson's trial was reset for February 27, I'm assuming 2023.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/trial-reset-for-former-bso-deputy-over-conflicts-with-parkland-shooter-trial/2800147/

Broward Circuit Judge Martin Fein on Thursday morning reset the trial of former Broward Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson for Feb. 27.

Peterson was the school resource deputy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who was criticized, fired, then charged for failing to confront Nikolas Cruz during the Feb. 14, 2018 massacre that killed 17 and wounded 17 students and staff.

“That’s the primary reason why the judge continued our case because he doesn’t want [the trials] going at the same time,” said defense attorney Mark Eiglarsh. “To do so would cause a conflict in being able to secure potential witnesses in our case while the Cruz case is going on.”

The Peterson trial was originally scheduled for September while the sentencing of Cruz is expected to run through October, both in the Broward County courthouse.

• 2 months later...

The gunman who killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

A jury last month voted for the defendant to be spared the death penalty, in a decision that outraged relatives of the victims.

Ahead of the sentencing, victims' family members delivered emotional messages of grief and anger.

The gunman pleaded guilty in October last year to the 2018 murders.

Shackled and wearing a red prison jumpsuit, the killer showed no emotion as Broward County Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer formally sentenced him on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63492795

On Wednesday, Judge Elizabeth Scherer sentenced him to 17 consecutive life terms for the 14 February 2018 massacre and an additional 17 terms for the attempted murders of those he wounded.

https://news.sky.com/story/parkland-school-massacre-gunman-nikolas-cruz-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-12736785

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1