Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

19 students 2 teachers dead in Texas elementary school shooting

susieice

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And we know this. The mindset behind banning all guns because some use them to murder would likely, if guns were replaced with using autos to kill people with, have people suggesting all autos be banned. That’s a band-aid that doesn’t even address, let alone prevent, the cause. 

cormac

I agree it’s a band-aid, nothing else. The issue here is how to change the mind set that allows these events to occur. The overall majority of these sad events are carried out by people who are suffering from some form of mental collapse or on going mental illness. When that is considered its difficult not to believe that someone close to these individuals did not see the warning signs that the individual was displaying. In fact in many of these cases after the event has occurred, a family member or friend will say something to the effect I knew there was something wrong with _________ I wish I had done something.

When I hear someone make those comments I want to slap them around, it really makes me angry. This is the mind set I am talking about, people have to wake up and realize it’s their responsibility to report unusual behavior especially if the individual has access to firearms. Yes the individual will have to deal with the consequences, but those consequences however there is no comparison what occurred today. I sincerely believe this is the only way to deal with this, while it may not be a perfect way to deal with it, it’s the only way that has any possibility of helping curve this violence!

JIMO

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree it’s a band-aid, nothing else. The issue here is how to change the mind set that allows these events to occur. The overall majority of these sad events are carried out by people who are suffering from some form of mental collapse or on going mental illness. When that is considered its difficult not to believe that someone close to these individuals did not see the warning signs that the individual was displaying. In fact in many of these cases after the event has occurred, a family member or friend will say something to the effect I knew there was something wrong with _________ I wish I had done something.

When I hear someone make those comments I want to slap them around, it really makes me angry. This is the mind set I am talking about, people have to wake up and realize it’s their responsibility to report unusual behavior especially if the individual has access to firearms. Yes the individual will have to deal with the consequences, but those consequences however there is no comparison what occurred today. I sincerely believe this is the only way to deal with this, while it may not be a perfect way to deal with it, it’s the only way that has any possibility of helping curve this violence!

JIMO

Mental illness is a good part of it but GREED is also a contributing factor. And as long as humanity exists there will always be greed. How does one fight that? 

cormac

• Like 3

It’s time the US put strict gun laws in place. I’m not against owning them and having them in your home or being licensed to carry one. 18 year olds shouldn’t be allowed to own anything over a BB gun. Used guns should only be sold through a licensed gun dealer. Like a closing attorney on a house. Every gun should be registered to their owner. Ghost guns should be illegal. Criminals shouldn’t be allowed to buy them off the street. The penalty for buying and selling used guns should be extremely thought out to stop the transaction. Sure it might not stop all of them but try 5 years in prison and 10 without a drivers license see how that works. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Mental illness is a good part of it but GREED is also a contributing factor. And as long as humanity exists there will always be greed. How does one fight that? 

cormac

That’s a good point, however, while the greed prevents act at Corporate, State, and federal levels the only way that I am able to see is to action at the root cause. Americans must get past the sad mindset that they don’t want to turn someone in because they are unsure how dangerous an individual may be. The worst that will occur is that the individual will receive a mental evaluation which they most likely need anyway. Like I said I don’t have all the answers, however my way is better than doing nothing like the American Government has been doing.

JIMO

• Like 2

There's only one law enforcement officer for every 418 citizens in this country and there are an estimated 300 million or more unregistered firearms. So, any draconian laws passed will only have the effect of taking guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens, since only registered firearms can be traced. So, despite the breast-beating of timid, naive foreigners, there is no easy fix for the problem and certainly none that wouldn't be political suicide for most politicians who voted for them. Schools are soft targets for the malicious and deranged and it's long past time these targets were hardened. There's too much of an attitude that it can't happen here, when in fact, it can happen anywhere, even on placid pacifist islands in the South Pacific.

8 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Why doesn't the US restrict gun ownership to law enforcement, the military and hunters? Why would anyone else need a gun? I like guns myself, I joined the TA so I could fire stuff, including heavy machine guns, automatic rifles and even a Carl Gustav. But I never imagined any one needing a gun in their home. I think I am right in saying just about everyone in Switzerland has been trained to use guns, but they don't feel the need to carry them around.Crazy!

Has it ever occurred to anyone that when someone uses a gun in a crime that they are violating the 2A?  And then those that step in to politicized the pain of others for their own petty ideology.  The 2A wasn't established for hunting or sporting.  Or even defense from common criminals.  The 2A recognizes that we have a right to defend ourselves from the government, the most existential, tyrannical threat to our freedom.  Freedom is not free.  If we expect to hang on to our freedoms, then we have to be willing to pay the price and it is a dear price.  The way to reduce mass shootings and killings is by returning GOD back to this nation.  To put this nation first.  To learn about and be proud of this nation and its Constitution.  To remove CRT and other forms of hatred from all aspects of our culture.  Stop trying to sterilize our children.  Bring the masculine father back into the family.  Just teach love and respect.  You do that and the number of crazies will diminish.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alpha_Q said:

I wonder if it's possible to make a change to the US Constitution...

When it comes to natural rights, changes are not possible.  The whole definition of rights is that they are inalienable and absolute.  Keep that in mind and seek real solutions to real root causes.  Anything else is an abuse of power.  Don't politicize this tragedy and don't aid in a power grab.  Aren't you tired of both?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

When it comes to natural rights, changes are not possible.  The whole definition of rights is that they are inalienable and absolute.  Keep that in mind and seek real solutions to real root causes.  Anything else is an abuse of power.  Don't politicize this tragedy and don't aid in a power grab.  Aren't you tired of both?

Guns are not a natural right.

That's the tremendous flaw in your constitution. If there's a hell, Madison is burning in the hottest part of it. 

There is nothing natural about guns. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Guns are not a natural right.

That's the tremendous flaw in your constitution. If there's a hell, Madison is burning in the hottest part of it. 

There is nothing natural about guns. 

Defending ourselves is a natural right. If you have a problem with that take it up with England as they’re the reason our Constitution was written the way it was. 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

Defending ourselves is a natural right. If you have a problem with that take it up with England as they’re the reason our Constitution was written the way it was. 

cormac

Defending yourself doesn't mean arm everyone then shoot it out and see who is left standing. It means if you are attacked you have every right to repel the attacker. Guns are a step beyond that. 

Do you think England is actually still a threat? I honestly doubt that reason remains valid. Surely it could be relaxed after a couple hundred years and still no threat of a British invasion. I mean there's a lot of crazy old laws. They just get made redundant. 2A is well overdue an overhaul.

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Defending yourself doesn't mean arm everyone then shoot it out and see who is left standing. It means if you are attacked you have every right to repel the attacker. Guns are a step beyond that. 

Do you think England is actually still a threat? I honestly doubt that reason remains valid. Surely it could be relaxed after a couple hundred years and still no threat of a British invasion. I mean there's a lot of crazy old laws. They just get made redundant. 2A is well overdue an overhaul.

And most of us don’t. But you want to take every American’s right away based on a minority. That’s never going to happen. Does someone really have to explain to you that guns (ie.”arms”) are one way of repelling an attacker? Like I said before if guns were switched out for auto’s (cars) to be used by some to kill people there would be those, like you apparently, that would call for a ban on auto’s. 

Is England still a threat, not hardly. But England has taught us well. Government, even our own, cannot be completely trusted and we are loath to let that mistake ever happen again. 

cormac

• Like 2

Any more, 'Murica's stance on this is so psychotic that it seems a subconscious trauma flex rant on the rest of the world.

"Look what we're willing to do to our own children.  Every other month.  Now just imagine what we'll do to you if you don't play right by us?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

We took away the guns from legal citizens in 2019 in New Zealand. Before the gun "buy back" there was very low gun crime, with one exception being the mosque massacre in Christchurch.

3 years later, we are having daily drive by shootings. Just yesterday there were 5 shootings in Auckland. In the weekend there were a similar number everyday. 

We are seeing unprecedented gun violence right now  exactly the opposite of what was promised by the prime Minister.

You might also notice that in the US 90-95 percent of shootings occur in "gun free zones" and cities that ban ownership of private guns.

I had no idea gun crime was high in NZ. Thanks for this info.Yet this article says it is still low:

On a global scale, gun crime remains incredibly low in New Zealand.

For instance, in the United States, there are about 106 deaths per one million population each year.

In each of the last two years, New Zealand recorded 2.4 gun-related deaths per million people.

But if you go back to 2014, New Zealand had less than one death per million people, so there has been a steep rise over the past few years.

Gun crimes and gun deaths at highest levels in a decade - NZ Herald

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And most of us don’t.

2A also arms criminals. 

But you want to take every American’s right away based on a minority.

I have never considered a gun a right. I believe that is wrong. 

That’s never going to happen. Does someone really have to explain to you that guns (ie.”arms”) are one way of repelling an attacker?

It also arms weak little meth heads and juveniles starting out. It's not an equaliser, it's a criminals big advantage. The danger is created by the alleged solution. 

It wont happen there because of the mindset that it is a right and is the only way. Here the citizens got behind gun regulation so it worked. The people are the key to a safer society.

Like I said before if guns were switched out for auto’s (cars) to be used by some to kill people there would be those, like you apparently, that would call for a ban on auto’s. 

Nope. 

Vehicle regulations are good and being improved every year. There's an active presence constantly monitoring the situation. 

And a car isn't designed and made to kill. It's not a weapon. It can be misused as a weapon. It takes a sick mind to go that far. 

Is England still a threat, not hardly. But England has taught us well. Government, even our own, cannot be completely trusted and we are loath to let that mistake ever happen again. 

cormac

You would shoot it out with a government?

With all due respect, I honestly can't see that happening either. And if it somehow did, I can't see citizens winning that one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Freez1 said:

It’s time the US put strict gun laws in place. I’m not against owning them and having them in your home or being licensed to carry one. 18 year olds shouldn’t be allowed to own anything over a BB gun. Used guns should only be sold through a licensed gun dealer. Like a closing attorney on a house. Every gun should be registered to their owner. Ghost guns should be illegal. Criminals shouldn’t be allowed to buy them off the street. The penalty for buying and selling used guns should be extremely thought out to stop the transaction. Sure it might not stop all of them but try 5 years in prison and 10 without a drivers license see how that works. 

Just ban guns, and close down gun shops. Why does anyone need a gun? If you have fallen out with your neighbour, tell them what you think of them, you don't need to shoot them. Hunters and gun clubs should be able to buy guns, and keep them in locked cabinets in the places where they are used. Teach gun safety.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

2A also arms criminals. 

It also arms weak little meth heads and juveniles starting out. It's not an equaliser, it's a criminals big advantage. The danger is created by the alleged solution. 

It wont happen there because of the mindset that it is a right and is the only way. Here the citizens got behind gun regulation so it worked. The people are the key to a safer society.

Nope. 

Vehicle regulations are good and being improved every year. There's an active presence constantly monitoring the situation. 

And a car isn't designed and made to kill. It's not a weapon. It can be misused as a weapon. It takes a sick mind to go that far. 

With all due respect, I honestly can't see that happening either. And if it somehow did, I can't see citizens winning that one. 

I agree, Psyche. 'Cars kill too'.That is just such a stupid arguement, isn't it?. Life kills too, as we are all destined to die. But it is only guns that are specifically designed to end life. They have no other purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

2A also arms criminals

Nope. 

Most of us aren’t criminals. 

That’s your problem not mine. I actually live here. 

The danger comes from those suffering from mental issues and greed, for the most part. 

That’s your society, not ours. 

It is in the wrong hands. 

If backed in a corner we would. 

300,000,000+ people with about as many guns in this country with 2-3 million in the military and Government. You sure about that? 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

22 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Just ban guns, and close down gun shops. Why does anyone need a gun? If you have fallen out with your neighbour, tell them what you think of them, you don't need to shoot them. Hunters and gun clubs should be able to buy guns, and keep them in locked cabinets in the places where they are used. Teach gun safety.

As the saying goes you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If one is going to ban guns then ALL guns should be banned, which is unrealistic. The mentally ill and criminals don’t give a damn about gun safety. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

They should've armed the good ones to shoot the bad ones. More guns needed. American logic while their children die.

There's a comment on here it's England's fault because of the way the 2nd amendment is written. Seriously? You've had long enough to sort your gun problem out and you do nothing. Get with the rest of the civilised world. 

What number mass shooting will it take before you act? 

Edited by OpenMindedSceptic
Typo
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And most of us don’t. But you want to take every American’s right away based on a minority. That’s never going to happen. Does someone really have to explain to you that guns (ie.”arms”) are one way of repelling an attacker? Like I said before if guns were switched out for auto’s (cars) to be used by some to kill people there would be those, like you apparently, that would call for a ban on auto’s. 

cormac

No point arguing with these foreigners. They think solutions that work on an island, or an island continent whose small population is huddled in a dozen or so coastal areas, will work here. They don't have a clue to the magnitude of the problem. The sheer size of our country and the scale of our population, the number of our cities is beyond the comprehension of any who haven't been here and experienced it themselves. The very idea of personal defense is incomprehensible to them. There's no way of having a meaningful  conversation, just endless reiterations of their moral judgmentalism and mealy-mouthed platitudes. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No point arguing with these foreigners. They think solutions that work on an island, or an island continent whose small population is huddled in a dozen or so coastal areas, will work here. They don't have a clue to the magnitude of the problem. The sheer size of our country and the scale of our population, the number of our cities is beyond the comprehension of any who haven't been here and experienced it themselves. The very idea of personal defense is incomprehensible to them. There's no way of having a meaningful  conversation, just endless reiterations of their moral judgmentalism and mealy-mouthed platitudes. 

I know, but had to try anyway. 

cormac

5 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I agree, Psyche. 'Cars kill too'.That is just such a stupid arguement, isn't it?. Life kills too, as we are all destined to die. But it is only guns that are specifically designed to end life. They have no other purpose.

Exactly. That's the difference between a tool and a weapon. 

I agree. Hell, we have even had swimming pools compared. That actually turned out funny and is now something of an inside joke. A lot of laughs were provided through that silly comparison. Every now and then you will see the comment about the only thing stopping a bad guy with a pool is a good guy with a pool :rofl:

Now cars are regulated and those regulations change and we comply for community safety. I'm happy with that. But apply that to guns and Americans lose their minds. It works. There's too much success to say otherwise. 

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

I know, but had to try anyway. 

cormac

I know, but they don't understand Americans. Something like this, far from making people turn their guns in, always causes millions who have never owned a gun to go out and buy one. Why? Because they're scared, living in a country awash in unregistered firearms and with a government unable to protect them.

So, um, real talk time? Exactly how many kids need to die before the conservatives admit we need comprehensive, strict, and enforced gun control? Does it need to happen to them? Do their kids need to die? Do their kids need to be caught committing such atrocities? 

• The title was changed to 19 students 2 teachers dead in Texas elementary school shooting