Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

88 percent in new poll support background checks on all gun sales

ExpandMyMind

An overwhelming majority of Americans questioned in a poll conducted one day after the mass shooting at an elementary school in Texas supports background checks on all gun sales.

The survey from Morning Consult and Politico showed that 73 percent of respondents “strongly support” universal background checks and 15 percent “somewhat support” the requirement. 

Only 4 percent said they “somewhat oppose” background checks, and another 4 percent “strongly oppose” them. Five percent said they had no opinion. 

Eighty-one percent also said they support making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks.

Additionally, an overwhelming 84 percent of respondents said they would support “preventing sales of all firearms to people who have been reported as dangerous to law enforcement by a mental health provider.”

The survey also found that 79 percent strongly or somewhat support “barring gun purchases by people on the federal no-fly or watch lists.”

Seventy-five percent, meanwhile, strongly or somewhat support “creating a national database with information about each gun sale,” and 67 percent support banning assault-style weapons.

https://thehill.com/news/state-watch/3502285-88-percent-in-new-poll-support-background-checks-on-all-gun-sales/

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

And background checks SHOULD be performed. Most of us don’t have a problem with that. I myself had one done when I bought my 9mm, no big deal. 

cormac

• Like 3

Background checks need to be done by a neutral party who themselves are subject to regular checks, not the ones selling the guns.

• Like 5

Just wondering is TBI, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, neutral enough for you? 

cormac

47 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Background checks need to be done by a neutral party who themselves are subject to regular checks, not the ones selling the guns.

Well the background checks ARE done by a neutral party, you just fill out the form at the shop.  I'm not in favor of taking guns away, but we need SOME accountability.  I'm also very curious to know why an 18 year old needs multiple AR-15s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I support the background checks too BUT unless that Buffalo guy and that Texas guy had some significant past criminal problems (which I don't think they did), they probably would not have been blocked anyway.

So, this is only a step in the right direction.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Just wondering is TBI, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, neutral enough for you? 

cormac

She means that all private gun sales should be done through a licensed third party.  That would be a law that each state would have to pass as the federal government would never pass it as they have no backbone or common sense :tu:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Well here in the UK it's done by the police.  

What are the background checks in the US?  Am I right in thinking it is different in each state?

1 hour ago, TashaMarie said:

What are the background checks in the US?  Am I right in thinking it is different in each state?

No. It’s done on the federal level. I’ve been through a few now. Usually takes a few minutes. One time I had to wait two weeks while buying a 22.  That was odd as I have no criminal record that would prevent me. 

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

No. It’s done on the federal level. I’ve been through a few now. Usually takes a few minutes. One time I had to wait two weeks while buying a 22.  That was odd as I have no criminal record that would prevent me. 

A few minutes sounds extremely fast.

Oh honey, it doesn't matter what 88 percent of the country wants, it matters what a small handful of gerrymandered and bribed republican politicians want.