Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Storm May 30-31

susieice

This article refers to North America as this should be visible to all. There is a good chance we may be able to see a meteor storm on the evening of May 30-31 due to the Earth passing through the remnants of a shattered comet. It depends on what part of the comet's trail we pass through. A moonless night means viewing will be excellent without a lot of light interference. The article is well written in explaining the event and ideal viewing times are included. Happy viewing if you choose to look.

https://www.almanac.com/chance-see-meteor-storm-crumbling-comet-may-30?fbclid=IwAR20v9EetnMISEwmMbu8Tf8r_eSYcs095tBZeywDs4yS_w34xVpwudXXY0k

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

UK will be into sunrise so too light to see most of any meteor storm. :rolleyes:

A live cam from somewhere still dark is probably the best solution for those in Europe.

• Like 4

I hope it isn't cloudy like it usually is when I try to meteor watch

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I hope it isn't cloudy like it usually is when I try to meteor watch

That's the situation down here close to the Gulf, also.  It's rare to have clear weather.  I'll be trying to watch :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, and then said:

That's the situation down here close to the Gulf, also.  It's rare to have clear weather.  I'll be trying to watch :) 

Forecast is for thunderstorm...daggnabbit 

• Sad 1

We're supposed to have clear skies. Hope the weatherpeople are right this time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, susieice said:

We're supposed to have clear skies. Hope the weatherpeople are right this time.

I keep checking in case it changes, lol.  

• Like 1

I'm disappointed. I went out for about 45 minutes at what was supposed to be our peak time and I didn't see anything. It isn't cloudy. The news said this might happen. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/30/world/tau-herculids-meteor-shower-scn/index.html

The debris from SW3 will strike Earth’s atmosphere slower than other meteor showers and it’s the velocity at which the debris strikes rather than the size of the debris that causes the shower.

Even if visible, this means the meteors would be much fainter, for example, than the eta Aquariids meteors earlier this month.

“This is going to be an all or nothing event. If the debris from SW3 was traveling more than 220 miles per hour when it separated from the comet, we might see a nice meteor shower. If the debris had slower ejection speeds, then nothing will make it to Earth and there will be no meteors from this comet,” Bill Cooke, who leads NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, said in a statement.

Edited by susieice