Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare gold coin minted by assassins of Julius Caesar could sell for $2 million at auction

Still Waters

A rare golden coin, one of just three known specimens in the world, is likely to tempt buyers with deep pockets at auction later this spring. Experts estimate that the historical coin could sell for as much as $2 million when it goes on the chopping block in Zurich, reports Marina Stanley for Bloomberg.

“It’s priceless, but it still has a price tag,” says Arturo Russo, managing director of the auction house Numismatica Ars Classic, per Bloomberg.

On the March 15, 44 B.C.E., a group of senators stabbed to death the dictator Julius Caesar on the floor of the Roman Senate. Following the assassination, the infamous Roman politician Marcus Junius Brutus is said to have minted the coin to mark his key role in the murder and to celebrate Rome’s freedom from tyranny.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/this-ancient-coin-was-minted-to-celebrate-julius-caesars-murder-180979743/

• Like 3

I had no idea that Brutus committed suicide less than 2 years after killing Caesar.  

One of the major reasons for a holed coin is for loss prevention. They hype it up by saying maybe one of the assassins wore it as if a trophy. LOL!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

March 23 (UPI) -- A coin minted by the Roman politician Brutus after the assassination of Julius Caesar has been returned to Greece after an investigation by Homeland Security agents and the Manhattan District Attorney's Office. The Eid Mar coins are so named to commemorate Julius Caesar's assassination in Rome, Italy, on March 15 in the year 44 B.C., a date now known as the Ides of March. It was not immediately clear why the coin was repatriated to Greece and not to Italy.

Brutus had the coins minted in two editions, a silver edition to be used as currency and a gold edition as a token for Roman officials. There are only three gold Eid Mar coins known to still exist. The other two coins are in the collection of the Deutsche Bundesbank and on loan to the British Museum, Numismatic News reported in 2020 after the sale.

Coin minted by Brutus after assassination of Julius Caesar repatriated to Greece (msn.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

What amazing condition! Maybe never even been inside a pocket.

I think your right especially since it’s one of kind.

15 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I wonder how much it retails for? 

Apparently one of them sold for 3.5 Million dollars

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Apparently one of them sold for 3.5 Million dollars

That's some expensive small change!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

That's some expensive small change!

• Yea, but there are only 3 of those coins in existence today and like you said that one was dam near perfect!:tu:

On 5/28/2022 at 1:56 PM, and-then said:

I had no idea that Brutus committed suicide less than 2 years after killing Caesar.  

I don't think it was for remorse over killing Caesar, but more of a "Oh crap, Mark Antony (a friend/supporter of Caesar) just beat my army and is coming for me!".

• Thanks 1