Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Armed female bystander kills man firing at party in West Virginia

Still Waters

A US woman has fatally shot a man who opened fire on a crowd of people with a semi-automatic rifle in Charleston, West Virginia.

Dennis Butler, a 37-year-old with an extensive criminal history, was killed after he targeted a group of around 40 people attending a birthday party.

Police spokesman Tony Hazelett said the woman's quick reaction saved lives and may have prevented a mass shooting.

It comes amid a national debate over guns after a school shooting in Texas.

Mr Hazelett said it is not yet clear how Butler obtained the weapon - which he was not legally allowed to carry as a convicted felon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61615236

• Like 6

Butler was found dead at the scene from multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

She must of had training and that is not to stop shooting until the threat is neutralized.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

She must of had training and that is not to stop shooting until the threat is neutralized.

That's the advice I've always been told 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

You shouldn't need training for that . . . it's just common sense.

I wonder how many, if any, people were injured/killed.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Well actually I didn't post everything I was thinking. Like she was p***ed and just unloaded on him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I wonder how many, if any, people were injured/killed.

I believe you should and I belive she had. Altough the article says the she does not have a background in law enforcement the way she acted makes me belive she had a good knowledge of firearms (training) and a good knowledge of how to react and act in such situations. Bravo to the hero.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Good thing she didn't stand around and wait for backup.

Agreed.  How anyone could stand by and not act while listening to gun fire, with training and a weapon is Unconscionable!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

We have several shooting ranges locally. A couple of them have off duty or retired police officers that teach how to react and stay calm, not just hitting a target. They also teach what is legal and what's not in any situation. They even have moving targets.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The wild, wild west.

Nah! Dime novels and eastern newspapers contributed to the myth of the Wild Wild West in reality it really wasn't compared to eastern "civilized" hell holes.

https://history.howstuffworks.com/american-history/ridiculous-history-the-wild-wild-west-was-really-the-mild-mild-west.htm

https://www.independent.org/publications/tir/article.asp?id=803

Probably the larger crime was in cities where law enforcement salaries were paid out of the fines imposed.

I couldn't even imagine that today. It would be like letting politicians invest in stock knowing certain legislation was being considered or soon to be passed. Oh Wait! :unsure2:

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 1

"SEE, this one time proves that a good guy with a gun is the solution! Now please ignore every other mass shooting where that didn't happen and the mountain of corpses caused by irresponsible gun laws and people not wanting restrictions on their toys."

• Like 3

What Autochthon said. The pro gun lobby PR machine in full flow now their toys might be taken away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

"SEE, this one time proves that a good guy with a gun is the solution! Now please ignore every other mass shooting where that didn't happen and the mountain of corpses caused by irresponsible gun laws and people not wanting restrictions on their toys."

“I mean… so what if a dozen kids have to die everyone couple of months. We have FREEDOM(tm)” No one is going to move on this issue, so we might as well find ways to band aid the problem as best we can.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

“I mean… so what if a dozen kids have to die everyone couple of months. We have FREEDOM(tm)” No one is going to move on this issue, so we might as well find ways to band aid the problem as best we can.

Pass a strict licencing test requiring an evaluation of your mental health, marksmanship skills, gun safety ability, and determining if you can safely store and keep the firearms or it's now a felony to have any firearm, with a grace period of a few months to turn in any such weapons at the nearest police station. Upon passing the test, you MUST register any and all firearms (Limited to lower power weapons, think hunting rifles, and one handgun).  Any gun owners will have to submit to yearly inspections to verify that things are on the up and up, with immediate confiscation until they manage to rectify the issue. Owning a firearm that is not registered through this system is now a felony with a minimum sentence of five years after the grace period. If I had to deal with regular inspections when I was a kid because we lived in section 8 housing, gun owners can put up with people making sure they aren't Dale Gribble on Krokodil once a year. Frankly I'd add 'extremist political views' to the 'verboten' list when it comes to gun ownership, given how many of these people turn out to be militia yahoos, trumpists, or incels, but this is already gonna p*** off the local whackos as it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Pass a strict licencing test requiring an evaluation of your mental health, marksmanship skills, gun safety ability, and determining if you can safely store and keep the firearms or it's now a felony to have any firearm, with a grace period of a few months to turn in any such weapons at the nearest police station. Upon passing the test, you MUST register any and all firearms (Limited to lower power weapons, think hunting rifles, and one handgun).  Any gun owners will have to submit to yearly inspections to verify that things are on the up and up, with immediate confiscation until they manage to rectify the issue. Owning a firearm that is not registered through this system is now a felony with a minimum sentence of five years after the grace period. If I had to deal with regular inspections when I was a kid because we lived in section 8 housing, gun owners can put up with people making sure they aren't Dale Gribble on Krokodil once a year. Frankly I'd add 'extremist political views' to the 'verboten' list when it comes to gun ownership, given how many of these people turn out to be militia yahoos, trumpists, or incels, but this is already gonna p*** off the local whackos as it is. 

Too much, too quickly. You don’t get accepted change doing that. 
You need to start small, account for human nature. 
First step - anyone unable to pass a mental health test is forbidden, until they can, from owning guns. A second step is anyone diagnosed after buying the guns thusly have to hand them in. A third step, once you’re on meds, you’re free to get off them but you need to wait a year to buy a new gun. 
Let people get used to this. 
Later, make a law that says guns need to be have a safe storage location in the house. Note I say “have”, you can still store your revolver in the night stand, for safety, but it also needs to have a gun safe it can be placed in, if needed (ie there are free range children in the house). You can still carry a rifle in the pick-up, but it has a safe to live in when the car’s being serviced. 

Only the real die-hard adherents, the constitutional fundamentalists would find either of these unacceptable. And you’ll never find them agreeing to anything, anyway. 

I’m glad all my guns sunk on a boat.  Now I have nothing to turn in.

• Haha 1

From the BBC article:

“Dennis Butler, a 37-year-old with an extensive criminal history, was killed after he targeted a group of around 40 people attending a birthday party.
Mr Hazelett said it is not yet clear how Butler obtained the weapon - which he was not legally allowed to carry as a convicted felon.”

Illegal gun sales to criminals will continue, in spite of any new gun ownership laws. Restrictions placed on law-abiding citizens won’t deter the criminals.

• Like 2