Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boris Johnson set to bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee

Silver

Pint glasses will be adorned with a Crown for the first time in nearly 20 years after Ministers axed EU rules banning the patriotic symbol.

With the country gearing up for a long bank holiday weekend to mark the Queen’s 70-year reign, the Government has launched a consultation on sweeping away the ban on imperial measures – meaning shops could once again be allowed to sell products in pounds and ounces.

Last night, the move to reintroduce the Crown – which first appeared in 1699 during the reign of William III – was hailed by Brexit Opportunities Minister Jacob Rees-Mogg as ‘a very fitting symbol of how the Queen’s realm is being returned to her people now that they have been freed from the bureaucratic Suzerain of Brussels’.

‘Let’s make Britain again a flag-waving patriotic country and a tribute to Her Majesty’s dedicated service to our nation. This is building from our glorious past to our even more glorious future.’

Former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith added last night: ‘I look forward to raising a Crown of beer to toast Her Majesty’s Jubilee.’

Boris Johnson brings back the Crown symbol on our pint glasses for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee | Daily Mail Online

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to First major Brexit success is in time for the Platinum Jubilee
  • The title was changed to Boris Johnson set to bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee

I've got news for Boris: for a lot of us, Imperial measurements never went away! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Here's a Golden Guinea. Go and buy yourself a house."

— Prince Charles, 'Spitting Image'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Is a pint still two middies?

Sorry, I'm  in Queensland.  Is a pint still two pots?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Two pots? You'd be lucky! Most of us haven't got a pint pot to p--- in.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Pint glasses will be adorned with a Crown for the first time in nearly 20 years after Ministers axed EU rules banning the patriotic symbol.

With the country gearing up for a long bank holiday weekend to mark the Queen’s 70-year reign, the Government has launched a consultation on sweeping away the ban on imperial measures – meaning shops could once again be allowed to sell products in pounds and ounces.

Last night, the move to reintroduce the Crown – which first appeared in 1699 during the reign of William III – was hailed by Brexit Opportunities Minister Jacob Rees-Mogg as ‘a very fitting symbol of how the Queen’s realm is being returned to her people now that they have been freed from the bureaucratic Suzerain of Brussels’.

‘Let’s make Britain again a flag-waving patriotic country and a tribute to Her Majesty’s dedicated service to our nation. This is building from our glorious past to our even more glorious future.’

Former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith added last night: ‘I look forward to raising a Crown of beer to toast Her Majesty’s Jubilee.’

Boris Johnson brings back the Crown symbol on our pint glasses for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee | Daily Mail Online

Nice, but I would prefer 2 more aircraft carriers and all the other vessels that go with them.

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

No! It's a cool refreshing glass of the black stuff with a lovely creamy head on it! :)

Now for a different point - a point of order:-

Long before the current ship of fools took over government of the UK, the EU had agreed in 2008 to the indefinite retention of Imperial measures by Britain. And, while Sir Iain Duncan Smith looks forward 'to raising a Crown of beer' - whatever that is! - I'll be raising my pint, as I've always done, in a toast to Arthur Guinness or anything else that takes my fancy. Good luck and down the hatch!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The move back towards imperial measurements, which the UK moved away from under EU rules, has been welcomed by Brexiteers. 

But industry groups warned that new laws to change how the UK measures food and drink could cause already rocketing prices to increase further.

They expressed fears this could worsen the cost-of-living crisis, due to the expense of having to relabel products.

The Government is this week set to launch a consultation on the extent to which Britain should adopt imperial measurements - such as pounds and ounces - after leaving the EU.

Government minister Lord Parkinson today failed to answer questions on imperial measurements.

Quizzed on Sky News about ounces, pounds and pints, the Conservative peer only gave one correct answer.

Manufacturers and retailers are already free to list imperial measures alongside metric ones, and always were.

Retailers warn PM's drive to bring back imperial measurements 'will mean higher prices' | Daily Mail Online

Retail scales are in grammes, pumps are litres, and Blunderbrain Boris reckons it won't cost anything? The man is an oven ready turkey of the first order. It cost millions to change from Imperial to metric in the first place, let alone the confusion .We've all bought pints for decades and most with the crown on the side. We still weigh babies in pounds, travel in miles per hour, measure land in acres and weigh ourselves in stones. We need metric for engineering, chemicals and building, because they are international standards.

It's all a big pile of needless nonsense which Boris sadly hopes will increase his popularity. Where is the extra money for the NHS and where is the plan for social care that will mean nobody has to sell their house? 

This is the worst government in living memory, they lurge from covering up for Johnson's gaffes on a weekly basis, to picking fights with the EU to distract us.

And why are they now, years after campaigning for Brexit, desperately searching for Brexiit benefits? Surely they should have thought of a few before they persuaded people to vote Leave?

On 5/28/2022 at 11:59 PM, The Silver Shroud said:

Not sure you can get much beer for 5 shillings these days ;) 

btw last time I looked, my trousers were a 34" waist, my shoes size 9, milk was sold by the pint and the distance to the next town is shown on the signpost in miles.

And if I ask the greengrocer for 10 pound of potatoes he'll weight 10 pounds out, check the price (£1.00 per kilo) and charge me £4.54 accordingly (having technically overcharged me by almost two farthings :lol:)

"Well we crashed the economy, p***ed off everybody who trades with us, and we might be restarting the troubles...but hey, you can use imperial measurements for that pint that now costs twice as much as it did before brexit!"

• Thanks 1

Boris Johnson’s post-Brexit plan to bring back imperial measurements is “complete and utter nonsense”, according to Asda chair Stuart Rose.

In a scathing attack, the Conservative peer said the push to boost the use of pounds, ounces and other outmoded weights and measures would only “add cost” and confusion to businesses.

“I’ve never heard such nonsense in my life,” Lord Rose told Times Radio on Thursday, branding it a “backwards” step aimed at pleasing nostalgic voters.

“I mean, we have got serious problems in the world and we’re now saying let’s go backwards. Does anybody in this country below the age of about 40 know how many ounces there are in a pound?” the Asda chief asked.

Tory imperial measures plan ‘utter nonsense’, says Asda chair | The Independent

15 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Boris Johnson’s post-Brexit plan to bring back imperial measurements is “complete and utter nonsense”, according to Asda chair Stuart Rose.

In a scathing attack, the Conservative peer said the push to boost the use of pounds, ounces and other outmoded weights and measures would only “add cost” and confusion to businesses.

“I’ve never heard such nonsense in my life,” Lord Rose told Times Radio on Thursday, branding it a “backwards” step aimed at pleasing nostalgic voters.

“I mean, we have got serious problems in the world and we’re now saying let’s go backwards. Does anybody in this country below the age of about 40 know how many ounces there are in a pound?” the Asda chief asked.

Tory imperial measures plan ‘utter nonsense’, says Asda chair | The Independent

"Look at this! Please ignore the fact I was slamming down pints and cake with my buddies while the entire commonwealth couldn't do anything outside of their home!" 

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:59 PM, The Silver Shroud said:

What an utterly stupid man Rees-Mogg and this campaign is!! Is has not been the EU that threatened to impose metrification on the UK. Long before the UK became a member of the European Economic Community - the forerunner of the EU - Britain had voluntarily begun its own metrification process. The UK gave up pounds , shillings (20 shilling in a pound) and pence (twelve pence in a shilling) in favour the metric currency she now has. The UK's scientific community went metric in the 1960s. And don't the British know that their beloved pounds and ounces were introduced to them by the French Normans.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What an utterly stupid man Rees-Mogg and this campaign is!! Is has not been the EU that threatened to impose metrification on the UK. Long before the UK became a member of the European Economic Community - the forerunner of the EU - Britain had voluntarily begun its own metrification process. The UK gave up pounds , shillings (20 shilling in a pound) and pence (twelve pence in a shilling) in favour the metric currency she now has. The UK's scientific community went metric in the 1960s. And don't the British know that their beloved pounds and ounces were introduced to them by the French Normans.

Plans being drawn up by Boris Johnson’s government to set an expiry date for great swathes of EU law enshrined in the UK could cause “chaos” for businesses, experts have warned.

Brexit opportunities minister Jacob Rees-Mogg is said to have told cabinet that he plans to introduce a five-year expiry date for around 1,500 pieces of EU regulatory legislation.

But lawyers and business groups have warned that “blanket” changes risk creating extra complexity and uncertainty for firms struggling with so many new rules after Brexit.

Eleonor Duhs – a lawyer who worked on the 2018 EU Withdrawal Act – told The Independent that a “self-imposed cliff-edge for retained EU law is a recipe for potential chaos”.

Bonfire of EU rules could spark ‘chaos’ for UK business, ministers warned | The Independent

Now Britain is free from the Franco-Prussians we should start rebuilding our own culture and traditions.

1. Imperial Measurements - For those who think these are daft, then the point is to do things our own way, the British way!

2. Scrap Multi-Culturalism - Those we let in should have to do things our way otherwise it promotes division. I would like to see a national pledge day like students in the USA have when finishing school. Each citizen should pledge their life and loyalty to their country, monarch, and people. With lots of flag waving and playing of our national songs. Immigrants we let in should be taught all about their new nation, its values, whats expected from them, then have to take the same pledge. For those that wont then bye bye!

3. Dissolve our home nation football teams - If instead of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, we had a Great Britain team then we would win more World Cups! It also gets those rebels in Scotland and Northern Ireland more used to accepting being part of Britain.

4. Lots more national days like the Jubilee Day. Scenes like this promote national pride and unity:

Jubilee.thumb.jpg.6187deb52c48b64fb0eb1bb026da5475.jpg

5. Stop fighting Franco-Prussian wars: If they want to expand their sphere of influence let them do the fighting. Why is Britain fighting everyone else`s wars for little or no benefit to ourselves? 

6. Dissolve home national Parliaments: We need one centralised government. Decentralising it serves different areas better, but also increases dysfunctional behaviour. That being rebels in Scotland and Northern Ireland using their elected positions to constantly try and move towards independence.

7. Media & Educational Controls: Time to stop the media and school system being negative of our monarchy, our nation and people, and our history. We need to hear all the positives and benefits instead. We are the greatest people on Earth after all, not monsters.

8. Ban the Far-Left: Make them illegal to shut them up, because 99% of the degradation of everything British comes from them.

Finally we need more of these not just to return to being a great power but because they are a symbol of Britain:

QE.jpg.0b7b371ae4c3184800a2ade2472d928d.jpg

45.thumb.jpg.b6b3d628d43eb2b2dc70d5fdb04d8775.jpg

PS: I think I forgot the promotion of tea and biscuits, and cricket!

Edited by Cookie Monster

15 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Now Britain is free from the Franco-Prussians we should start rebuilding our own culture and traditions.

1. Imperial Measurements - For those who think these are daft, then the point is to do things our own way, the British way!

2. Scrap Multi-Culturalism - Those we let in should have to do things our way otherwise it promotes division. I would like to see a national pledge day like students in the USA have when finishing school. Each citizen should pledge their life and loyalty to their country, monarch, and people. With lots of flag waving and playing of our national songs. Immigrants we let in should be taught all about their new nation, its values, whats expected from them, then have to take the same pledge. For those that wont then bye bye!

3. Dissolve our home nation football teams - If instead of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, we had a Great Britain team then we would win more World Cups! It also gets those rebels in Scotland and Northern Ireland more used to accepting being part of Britain.

4. Lots more national days like the Jubilee Day. Scenes like this promote national pride and unity:

Jubilee.thumb.jpg.6187deb52c48b64fb0eb1bb026da5475.jpg

5. Stop fighting Franco-Prussian wars: If they want to expand their sphere of influence let them do the fighting. Why is Britain fighting everyone else`s wars for little or no benefit to ourselves? 

6. Dissolve home national Parliaments: We need one centralised government. Decentralising it serves different areas better, but also increases dysfunctional behaviour. That being rebels in Scotland and Northern Ireland using their elected positions to constantly try and move towards independence.

7. Media & Educational Controls: Time to stop the media and school system being negative of our monarchy, our nation and people, and our history. We need to hear all the positives and benefits instead. We are the greatest people on Earth after all, not monsters.

8. Ban the Far-Left: Make them illegal to shut them up, because 99% of the degradation of everything British comes from them.

Finally we need more of these not just to return to being a great power but because they are a symbol of Britain:

QE.jpg.0b7b371ae4c3184800a2ade2472d928d.jpg

45.thumb.jpg.b6b3d628d43eb2b2dc70d5fdb04d8775.jpg

PS: I think I forgot the promotion of tea and biscuits, and cricket!

Oh hey, tell O'Brien I said hi, and to remember to clean out the rat helmet...