Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd tale of Chinese princess murdered by Cornish fishermen

Eldorado

A cove near Land's End is said to be the burial site of a Chinese princess who was murdered by Cornish fishermen. The legend, which you might struggle to believe, also says that her body is protected by the ghost of her Pekingese puppy and that anyone who crosses its path will meet their death.

According to the odd tale, the princess was sent to England by the emperor of China to present Elizabeth I two Pekingese dogs - considered a sumptuous and royal gift at the time. But her crew and entourage were caught in a mutiny and, by the time they reached Land's End, everyone but one puppy had perished.

The legend was shared by Dr Karl Shuker, on his blog. "When their ship left China on the first stage of its journey to England, the two dogs were accompanied by a royal princess as their personal guardian, together with a mandarin as the princess' own protector, an immense quantity of gold, plus a team of bodyguards and slaves, to ensure that the ship reached its far-off port of call safely," Dr Shuker wrote.

Full story: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/odd-tale-chinese-princess-murdered-7150362

THE PRINCESS AND THE PUPPIES: http://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2010/01/daisy-dog-of-cornwall.html

• Like 2

There are a lot of takes like this that exist, seemingly, to paint the Cornish as barbaric and backwards people. For example, the Cornish supposedly once hanged a monkey, thinking it to be a Frenchman.

• Haha 5

It wasn't the Cornish who hanged the monkey it was the people of Hartlepool in the northwest of England. And the account is actually true as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, northeast of England. My bad :wacko:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only time i think some story like this is true is if it have evidence and proof in a case like this thread a good provenance is needed in this case i didnt even catch the alleged murder victims name.