Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World is "cooked" if we carry on with coal, US says

Eldorado

Posted (edited)

Meh, the planet is cooked either way. 

We've had a good run, might as well enjoy the time we have.

*edit*

It's interesting and amusing to observe the arrogance of groups of humans that think they can actually "save" the planet.

Save the planet? The planet is fine, we're the ones who are screwed. We'll die off as species at some point and the planet will keep on moving along until the Sun does it's great expansion.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:35 PM, Trelane said:

Meh, the planet is cooked either way. 

We've had a good run, might as well enjoy the time we have.

*edit*

It's interesting and amusing to observe the arrogance of groups of humans that think they can actually "save" the planet.

Save the planet? The planet is fine, we're the ones who are screwed. We'll die off as species at some point and the planet will keep on moving along until the Sun does it's great expansion.

If we can cut back on greenhouse emissions to the zero point and possibly remove some CO2 from the air, we may be able to save ourselves.  But we have blown our grace period so now it's gonna be rough landing.

Doug

12 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

If we can cut back on greenhouse emissions to the zero point and possibly remove some CO2 from the air, we may be able to save ourselves.  But we have blown our grace period so now it's gonna be rough landing.

Doug

China is still building coal fired power plants as well as many other countries.    I hate to give up, but it seems a lost cause.  

I drive a car that gets 40+ MPG and recycle when possible, but it seems useless when a politician will use a private jet to fly to an environment conference.   Used more fuel than I will in my lifetime.   Makes it seem useless to even bother.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Myles said:

China is still building coal fired power plants as well as many other countries.    I hate to give up, but it seems a lost cause.  

I drive a car that gets 40+ MPG and recycle when possible, but it seems useless when a politician will use a private jet to fly to an environment conference.   Used more fuel than I will in my lifetime.   Makes it seem useless to even bother.

Point well made.

China is also building wind and solar stations far faster than anybody else in the world.  They have the world's largest workforce dedicated to that purpose.  They are just beginning to electrify the remoter parts of their country.  The coal stations are an intermediate step.  They also feel that the west has been polluting for decades and that it's grossly unfair of us to expect them to live in poverty so we can have clean air.  They will follow our lead, but only if we lead.

I think we're going to have to curtail all air traffic.  It burns way too much fuel for the amount of good it does.  High speed trains?

Doug

Edited by Doug1066

27 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Point well made.

China is also building wind and solar stations far faster than anybody else in the world.  They have the world's largest workforce dedicated to that purpose.  They are just beginning to electrify the remoter parts of their country.  The coal stations are an intermediate step.  They also feel that the west has been polluting for decades and that it's grossly unfair of us to expect them to live in poverty so we can have clean air.  They will follow our lead, but only if we lead.

I think we're going to have to curtail all air traffic.  It burns way too much fuel for the amount of good it does.  High speed trains?

Doug

i don't see that ever happening.  Like I said, I think it is a lost cause because too many people (countries) do not care enough.     

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Myles said:

i don't see that ever happening.  Like I said, I think it is a lost cause because too many people (countries) do not care enough.     

Lost or not, we will get to/are dealing with the consequences.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's all a bit late, or too late. And too little,

Build more nuclear powerplants. Yes, I know: the waste. But we can think of solving that problem in the meantime.