Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Belief in Roswell UFO crash remains strong 75 years on

What's to believe? 

It occured.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

What's to believe? 

It occured.

What occurred? The Roswell crash as invented by Friedman some 31 years after the alleged event?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think aliens crashed there. An experimental (possibly German) aircraft being tested? Probably. We all know it wasn't a weather balloon. lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bavarian Raven said:

I don't think aliens crashed there. An experimental (possibly German) aircraft being tested? Probably. We all know it wasn't a weather balloon. lol. 

Why don't you think it was a weather balloon (or, rather, a train of them)?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Sure, a weather ballon crashed and people not familiar with the materials it was made of and the writing on it, made it out to be alien materials and alien hieroglyphics. Alien bodies? Well, they just made that up.

Wasn't it a balloon that was sent up to look for radiation caused by a Soviet nuclear bomb test? I think that was the last thing I read before I began actively ignoring the story.

• Like 4

Thing that really gets me aobut all these alien and bigfoot stories is the part about how 'they're hiding it from us!'. Why? NASA has spent billions of dollars and years of dedicated effort to find alien life on Mars, even a microbe. And then if an actual intelligent alien race crashes their craft on our planet, they're going to spend billions more to cover that up? LOL, some people's thinking is completely irrational. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, astrobeing said:

Wasn't it a balloon that was sent up to look for radiation caused by a Soviet nuclear bomb test? I think that was the last thing I read before I began actively ignoring the story.

Something like that. At any rate, that is way closer than 'aliens' to be sure. 

• Like 2

This is absurd. It wasn't aliens or anything from space. It was probably nothing more than a military experiment. Which, if we knew what it was the United States were working on, would probably end up being just as interesting.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Yes, it was indeed a train of weather balloons sent aloft - the only difference was that the payload wasn't the usual measuring equipment, but highly classified and specialized equipment designed to sniff out radioactivity stemming from Soviet nuclear tests.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Sure, a weather ballon crashed and people not familiar with the materials it was made of and the writing on it, made it out to be alien materials and alien hieroglyphics. Alien bodies? Well, they just made that up.

The first reports of an alien craft were from the people who knew what was in their skies, the USAF. 

5 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The first reports of an alien craft were from the people who knew what was in their skies, the USAF. 

Link with the conclusive evidence of aliens? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Link with the conclusive evidence of aliens? 

The Wikipedia article cites the newspaper articles from the time saying that some misinformed guy at the Roswell Army Air Field (the USAF didn't exist yet) told the media it was a "flying disc". It was in fact a metal disc connected to a bunch of balloons. There was no mention of "alien craft" but it did describe a bunch of rubber and tin foil of obviously terrestrial origin.

Then the whole thing was forgotten for thirty years. None of the UFO books I bought in the 70s have anything about it. Even the show "In Search Of..." didn't do an episode on it until its fifth season in 1980.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

The Wikipedia article cites the newspaper articles from the time saying that some misinformed guy at the Roswell Army Air Field (the USAF didn't exist yet) told the media it was a "flying disc". It was in fact a metal disc connected to a bunch of balloons. There was no mention of "alien craft" but it did describe a bunch of rubber and tin foil of obviously terrestrial origin.

Then the whole thing was forgotten for thirty years. None of the UFO books I bought in the 70s have anything about it. Even the show "In Search Of..." didn't do an episode on it until its fifth season in 1980.

Right. Wikipedia with newspaper reports are not credible evidence. In Search of, I guess we can accept that if OP wants to use it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

No. The USAF certainly did not make such a claim. Where did you get that silly idea from?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

In case you didn't know, the National Defense Authorization Act of 1947 formally established the Air Force as a separate branch of service. It took effect in September of '47 months after the Roswell non-incident. It was still the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) at that point.

Then much like now, they and no one is exempt from making mistakes or being flat wrong when making observations or reporting things. I'm certain there were many things the regular forces did not have knowledge of (experimental craft) and easily misidentified. Like the general public.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Trelane said:

In case you didn't know, the National Defense Authorization Act of 1947 formally established the Air Force as a separate branch of service. It took effect in September of '47 months after the Roswell non-incident. It was still the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) at that point.

Then much like now, they and no one is exempt from making mistakes or being flat wrong when making observations or reporting things. I'm certain there were many things the regular forces did not have knowledge of (experimental craft) and easily misidentified. Like the general public.

Trelane,

Very good point. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badeskov said:

No. The USAF certainly did not make such a claim. Where did you get that silly idea from?

Cheers,

Badeskov

As per Trelane’s post he absolutely was correct and I was wrong. To make the clarification on the USAF versus the USAAF, the USAF did not not exist at the time  

Cheers,

Badeskov

I'm a believer in the Roswell alien crash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Interesting.

Original article sighted "flying saucer" a term first coined to mean, of UFO origin, during that same year, which you dismiss while simultaneously pulling me on the fact it wasn't the USAF at that time. 

Pick and choose.

Interesting.

I believe an alien craft crashed in Roswell in 1947. Whatever name of the air force you want to use, they don't get it that wrong for a minor weather balloon incident.

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I'm a believer in the Roswell alien crash.

This is the kind of post which has me torn between thinking you’re a complete idiot vs a super genius troll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1