Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jan 6 public hearings Live


spartan max2
 Share

Recommended Posts

 
21 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I didn't realize the RNC was already paying for his legal fees. That's interesting 

Yeah, I didn't know that either, though I did know he wasn't.    I am glad they have leverage and hope this story is correct.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think you mean indigenous Australians are disproportionately arrested/convicted of crimes, and there are explanations, pretty obvious ones, that potentially explain that disparity besides they are committing 'more' crimes.  If the justice system was at all racist then this is exactly what we'd expect, right?

I'd like to chime in here with a bit of an anecdote.

A few years ago I was having a similar conversation with a work colleague about the disparity in inccarceration of Infigenous Australians.  My colleague presented an article by prominent indigenous journalist Stan Grant.  Grant asserted that incarceration of Indigenous had increased by 85 per cent over a 17 year period.  A bit of a weird period, but whatever.

Nevertheless, I informed my colleague that the geometric mean of Grant's assertion equated to an approximate 3.5 per cent increase year on year; and, the ABS, at the time, reported a total increase of incarcerations of more than five percent.

If there is a disparity it probably can only be revealed by studies like the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Deaths in Custody.

Statistics are like bikinis.  What they show is interesting; but, what they hide is vital.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Yes, just like your "if I had personal experience of all 25 million Australians" which I was replying to.  Funny how the allowance of the use of hypotheticals that don't resemble the truth to make a point are suddenly no longer applicable.  But not surprising unfortunately.

You really aren't faring too well with this racism (off)topic, I thought your, "indigenous Australians disproportionately commit more crimes" especially was a howler.  Does Australia have an extremely high rate of solving crimes or something?  In the US as of a few years ago about 46% of violent crimes resulted in an arrest and only 18% of property crimes.  I think you mean indigenous Australians are disproportionately arrested/convicted of crimes, and there are explanations, pretty obvious ones, that potentially explain that disparity besides they are committing 'more' crimes.  If the justice system was at all racist then this is exactly what we'd expect, right?

You're right, it is off topic. But my comments are justified by experience as well as statistics. Unless you have evidence that the police are clearing cases where the suspect is indigenous at faster rates than they are clearing any other demographic (hint: they aren't, but if you have evidence I will look at it), then the reason for the disparity is that these people are committing more crimes. 

There is a direct link from poverty to crime and indigenous Australians are vastly over-represented in poverty statistics. 

But this really is off topic and I'm not going to go further into it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

 I am glad they have leverage and hope this story is correct.

My hope is that he thinks he is too powerful for threats, announces and will browbeat the Republicans into paying his fees anyway.  Announcing in his mind is a way to forestall prosecution and get the public eye back on Donald Trump and away from Ron DeSantis.   Getting the public eye back on Donald Trump just when he may face a DOJ subpoena  is a good look for the MAGA supporters, but not for independents or Democrats or old school conservative Republicans.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

My hope is that he thinks he is too powerful for threats, announces and will browbeat the Republicans into paying his fees anyway.  Announcing in his mind is a way to forestall prosecution and get the public eye back on Donald Trump and away from Ron DeSantis.   Getting the public eye back on Donald Trump just when he may face a DOJ subpoena  is a good look for the MAGA supporters, but not for independents or Democrats or old school conservative Republicans.

I suspect he not only thinks the universe revolves around him but he is experiencing dementia and someone is feeding his ego and encouraging  him to announce his candidacy for some fund raising scheme.    It has been obvious that the only republicans that appear to be supporting him are actually just using him to get elected (several in the south did that, got him to endorse them and got elected) but when the sh*** hits the fan they will disappear if they haven't already.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Unless you have evidence that the police are clearing cases where the suspect is indigenous at faster rates than they are clearing any other demographic (hint: they aren't, but if you have evidence I will look at it), then the reason for the disparity is that these people are committing more crimes. 

Was your claim, if you have evidence that shows indigenous people committing more crimes I will look at it, but again you shouldn't confuse that with 'arrested for'.  Would you be surprised if you were to find out that indigenous people in Australia (just like black people in the US) are policed to a greater degree than non-indigenous? In the US poll after poll shows that white people do just as many if not more illegal drugs than blacks, but unsurprisingly the arrests for that is lopsided the other way. It is off-topic so just food for thought, but in the future would be good if you could at least look into the basics before pronouncing what 'the reason' is.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Was your claim, if you have evidence that shows indigenous people committing more crimes I will look at it, but again you shouldn't confuse that with 'arrested for'.  Would you be surprised if you were to find out that indigenous people in Australia (just like black people in the US) are policed to a greater degree than non-indigenous? In the US poll after poll shows that white people do just as many if not more illegal drugs than blacks, but unsurprisingly the arrests for that is lopsided the other way. It is off-topic so just food for thought, but in the future would be good if you could at least look into the basics before pronouncing what 'the reason' is.

That statistic is entirely misleading. But it's really off topic, so I'm going to drop it :tu: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

If there is a disparity it probably can only be revealed by studies like the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Deaths in Custody.

Statistics are like bikinis.  What they show is interesting; but, what they hide is vital.

That 3.5% may have been figured using annual compounding.  I'd check that out first.  Then there's the problem that 3.5% and 5.0% are really not much different in social sciences.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

That 3.5% may have been figured using annual compounding.  I'd check that out first.  Then there's the problem that 3.5% and 5.0% are really not much different in social sciences.

Doug

Geometric mean is the correct way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.