Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Isle of Man TT: 'We all know the risks', says racer after five deaths lead to calls for ban

Still Waters

Five people have been killed while racing at this year's Isle of Man TT event - but one rider has told Sky News that everyone participating in the race knows the risks.

Michael Russell, a rider who spends his working life with the Royal Air Force, said there had been "tragic accidents", adding: "Everyone enters the races with the knowledge of this happening... it's a risk that we all take."

The latest riders to die were a father and son team competing in a sidecar race.

Roger Stockton, 56, was driving and his 21-year-old son Bradley was in the passenger seat during an incident at Ago's Leap on the final lap of the second sidecar race.

https://news.sky.com/story/isle-of-man-tt-we-all-know-the-risks-says-racer-after-five-deaths-lead-to-calls-for-ban-12632067

• Like 3

Michael Russell is right, competitors know the risks(and the death toll!), and can then make up their own mind whether or not to take part. It would be ridiculous to ban the races. What about all the riders who successfully complete the course? What a wonderful achievement! Young men have precious few opportunities these days to really test themselves, test their judgement.

• Like 5

It's deadly, and it's über-cool:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Five people have been killed while racing at this year's Isle of Man TT event - but one rider has told Sky News that everyone participating in the race knows the risks.

Michael Russell, a rider who spends his working life with the Royal Air Force, said there had been "tragic accidents", adding: "Everyone enters the races with the knowledge of this happening... it's a risk that we all take."

The latest riders to die were a father and son team competing in a sidecar race.

Roger Stockton, 56, was driving and his 21-year-old son Bradley was in the passenger seat during an incident at Ago's Leap on the final lap of the second sidecar race.

https://news.sky.com/story/isle-of-man-tt-we-all-know-the-risks-says-racer-after-five-deaths-lead-to-calls-for-ban-12632067

Racing in road conditions bring a lot more risks but for the number of racer each years, it's quite impressive that they managed to have only 5 deaths. We don't have the number of crashes but damn, most of the vids of this race show the high improbability of death if they crash on any of these locations..

Don't know the number of riders and crashes but racing there is certainly epic and dangerous.

16 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

What an exciting video! Music fits perfectly with it too :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

What an exciting video! Music fits perfectly with it too :D

I once had a much better one. I had ripped it from some website. It had even better music by Disturbed. And I was driving a bike too in my red suite in that video. Can't find it anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I once had a much better one. I had ripped it from some website. It had even better music by Disturbed. And I was driving a bike too in my red suite in that video. Can't find it anymore.

Found it!!

I once had an account under the name "Abramelinn", with double -n- .

Here it is:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Michael Russell is right, competitors know the risks(and the death toll!), and can then make up their own mind whether or not to take part. It would be ridiculous to ban the races. What about all the riders who successfully complete the course? What a wonderful achievement! Young men have precious few opportunities these days to really test themselves, test their judgement.

Here is a test of judgement.. I have the opportunity to involve myself in a race where someone always gets killed...my judgement call...uh...NO THANKS!

Here is a test for one's own self...Why look there is someone who needs some help...should I help them or just pretend that someone else will?  ...Hey, Can I help you?  

But then ...who am I to talk?  I swam out to a sandbar in the middle of the freaking ocean and stood there all by myself thinking...Wow, this is so stupid!  

I also dove off a bridge into a torrent of a flooded river and then stood on the beach thinking...God I am such a dumbass!   

But now...I'm the guy that everyone hates because I actually drive the speed limit  especially going over the high Five bridges...and I think...wow, none of you dumbasses have even considered the possibility of having a blowout as you drive 70mph around a curve on a bridge that's 4 stories high...

8 hours ago, Abramelin said:

You can imagine how addictive it must be for the riders based on the adrenaline rush and exhilaration you feel just watching it. They are all fully aware of the dangers, as are their loved ones, and as heart breaking as accidents and deaths are, I disagree with banning it.

Excellent video.  I actually prefer the music in this one than the one with Disturbed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Are you number 5 in the video?

14 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Next thing you know they will try to ban our cheese rolling competition:

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Are you number 5 in the video?

56 seconds into the video I posted.

7 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Next thing you know they will try to ban our cheese rolling competition:

Oh they've already tried to do that but there was such an uproar about it that it had to be reinstated!

5 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

56 seconds into the video I posted.

:clap:  :tsu:

16 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Racing in road conditions bring a lot more risks but for the number of racer each years, it's quite impressive that they managed to have only 5 deaths. We don't have the number of crashes but damn, most of the vids of this race show the high improbability of death if they crash on any of these locations..

Don't know the number of riders and crashes but racing there is certainly epic and dangerous.

''High improbability of surviving''... fudge my bad...