Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I asked the Universe

Guyver

29 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Of course you do because your belief gives your life meaning. 

You're a funny guy Cormac.

I'm being totally honest with you. My beliefs aren't the things that give my life meaning. No. That's not to say that I don't have beliefs but the real things that give my life meaning are what I'm basically being forced to realize not because of having beliefs, but because of the experiences I have that show me exactly what it is, that's worth believing. Does that make sense?

My experiences cause me to think. And it's because a lot of my experiences indicate to me that there's something more going on than just me thinking. That something or somebody is helping me in my thinking. Helping me to improve my thinking. And it's because of the continuation of these experiences and the continuation of growing in thought that I can't resist feeling a strong sense of knowing that it truly is something beyond me, something like a daddy who is involved with me. :D

You're not a spiritual orphan cormac. Neither is anyone.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You're a funny guy Cormac.

I'm being totally honest with you. My beliefs aren't the things that give my life meaning. No. That's not to say that I don't have beliefs but the real things that give my life meaning are what I'm basically being forced to realize not because of having beliefs, but because of the experiences that show me what it is, that's worth believing. Does that make sense?

My experiences cause me to think. And it's because a lot of my experiences indicate to me that there's something more going on than just me thinking. That something or somebody is helping me in my thinking. Helping me to improve my thinking. And it's because of the continuation of these experiences and the continuation of growing in thought that I can't resist feeling a strong sense of knowing that it truly is something beyond me, something like a daddy who is involved with me. :D

You're not a spiritual orphan cormac. Neither is anyone.

My experiences cause me to think too. I’m not an orphan of any kind. While that doesn’t mean I have all the answers, nor that I “can” have all the answers, it DOES mean that I don’t need an invisible and unevidenced sky-daddy to hold my hand and make me feel better about my existence. 

cormac

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

My experiences cause me to think too. I’m not an orphan of any kind. While that doesn’t mean I have all the answers, nor that I “can” have all the answers, it DOES mean that I don’t need an invisible and unevidenced sky-daddy to hold my hand and make me feel better about my existence. 

cormac

You know it's funny. I don't think I ever think about my existence too much. Thinking about my existence doesn't make me feel better about anything.

My experiences? My thoughts due to them? That's another story. When my experiences cause me to leave old ideas behind and cause new ideas to be embraced, that's when I feel better.

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You know it's funny. I don't think I ever think about my existence too much. Thinking about my existence doesn't make me feel better about anything.

My experiences? My thoughts due to them? That's another story. When my experiences cause me to leave old ideas behind and cause new ideas to be embraced, that's when I feel better.

Your experiences are part and parcel of your existence. And yet none of that necessitates a God. 

cormac

Greetings, all sails set.  Or, in other words, three sheets full into the wind.  It sounds poetic saying it like that.  Practicing my pagan religion and loving it right now.  I celebrate and mourn.  Anyway, since I started this thread, I thought it would be appropriate to do a science experiment.  There is this dude I know from a long time ago, his name is Erick D,,,I don’t want to say his name.  Anyway, he’s a special fellow.  He is so ridiculously gifted musically that he can hear anything and play it.  I played with him before or after I got in my “big band” .  Oh, it was before.  I played with him before I was in a popular gigging band as a bass player.  Anyway, he was a shy fellow.  He was so gifted, but he didn’t really want to play out.  He lives in my neighborhood but I haven’t had contact with him in years, but I have seen him in town.  I played with him in the 90’s.  So, we are both getting old now.  But, I would really like to play with this guy again.

So, to do an experiment and report on it, when I am sober I am going to ask the universe to allow me to play with Eric again, and see what happens.  Then, after a reasonable amount of time, I will come back here and report on whether or not I have been granted this request.  

What say ye?

• Like 2

Oh, sorry.  PS.  Not that this matters, but apparently Eric was and still may be a virgin.  I mean, maybe this is personal  and I shouldn’t be repeating it, but I just thought it was so unusual.  We used to joke about it, you know, just ride his ass a little over it, but he would just smile and not say much about it and we would let it go. And you know why? Cause this guy was a master and we loved him.  It’s like my old friend Pastor Gridiron used to say, you’re gift will make room for ya.

BTW, apologies for “blogging a little” but just to keep things rolling for me.  I’m thinking back to the time I was onstage in a popular band, we were killing it, people were dancing and having a good time, and in those special moments, I told myself you will never feel this again.  You will be old and wish you could feel this but you can’t.  You can only experience it now.  So I did. And it was good.  Now I’m kinda old and semi-retired, and I’m thinking… eff it.  I want to play.  It’s what I want to do. So, I’m doing it.

• Like 2

Sorry, one more thing.  I saw Joe Bonamassa live fro the Greek the other night, not in person, on tv.  Anyway, his hands were shaking.  I think he’s maybe kinda retired as a result?  But it was just sad to see.  And I think for me, it was more sad than watching Dan Marino play three more seasons than he should have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TormentedBeer said:

It was the alcohol. When I have my 2 first beers I play or do better than I normally would do without. 

You’re right.  But, when I was sober this afternoon, I was able to replicate the tone.  It’s not perfect, as I said I still have a way to go, but it’s better than I thought I could ever sound only a year ago.  So, I’m really happy about it.  I checked it with a few friends and they all said it was good.  One of those guys would have told me if it wasn’t good.

• Like 1

I guess this comes down to nothing more than the results of persistence, consistency, correction, and repetition.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

God is, originally, ancient man’s explanation for the unknown based on what mankind WANTS to be true. 

cormac

That makes good sense cormac.    There have been innumerable  explanations down through the ages.  But, the god of the Bible also seems like a collection of things that people in positions of power WANTed man to believe..to be true?  …what with ecumenical councils ,and kings, and all, deciding what should be altered, added, kept in, and thrown out, of the Bible. ?    
     to paraphrase ..from the Bible..  (((the universe is not a man,  that he should lie)))  ..from the book of lightly. :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup... 

b40566903f2f13c120ed3f938409c4a2.jpg

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Will Due said:

If God interacts with you in any way and anywhere, it would be within your thinking. Wouldn't it? Not recognizing that he's involved in the thought process does not mean nor does it prove that it isn't happening. Haven't you had the experience of thinking for years about something in a certain way as being true and then one day you realize you had it all wrong. To me, the fact that this is a common experience shows how the realm of where thought occurs is a place that is in constant flux. Hopefully growing and becoming more healthy.

So essentially you got to think god is talking to you? Like imagine it?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Yes I suppose it is a matter of imagination but on the other hand at least for me, as soon as I think God has spoken to me, I remind myself to be careful because more than likely he didn't. Which in a way brings me back to square one.

In my experience things like this are better revisited at a later time. If it isn't an hour then it will be days. Usually when more time has passed, I see it more clearly, that what I thought it was that I was being told or shown, is most often realized later as being something else, rather than whatever it was my first impression was.

Edited by Will Due

5 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Imagine there’s no heaven.  . It’s easy if you try.       No hell below us,  above us only sky.

Imagine all the people . . . Living life in Peace.            ;)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

And I do quite often and yet, much like science, I realize that God IS NOT REQUIRED to explain existence. 
cormac

In order to maintain the existence of all living and non-living objects, a foundation of Pure Existence is needed. This is the first level of God where light radiates from all space everywhere and does not deplete.

Without this level, life in general and the existence of material objects is impossible. A person may think that he is an independent being, but this is not so, there is the basis of all Existence, which equally and unchangingly supports all being.

One indivisible is what pure existence is.
Pure existence is the divine counterpart of physical substance.

What is a Sat in spirituality?

Sat is a Sanskrit word used in yoga, translated as “the true essence” or “that which is unchangeable.” It can be used to refer to an entity, species or the state of existence. In its most philosophical sense, sat, therefore, means “the ultimate reality” or Brahman.

Sat means "being, existence", "real, actual", "true, good, right", or "that which really is, existence, essence, true being, really existent, good, true".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satcitananda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Imagine all the people . . . Living life in Peace.

I picture humans having gone extinct.

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Imagine there’s no heaven.  . It’s easy if you try.       No hell below us,  above us only sky.

Imagine all the people . . . Living life in Peace.            ;)

That’ll take a lot of imagination lightly as we haven’t even gotten close to that since our ancestors came down from the trees millions of years ago. 

cormac

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coil said:

In order to maintain the existence of all living and non-living objects, a foundation of Pure Existence is needed. This is the first level of God where light radiates from all space everywhere and does not deplete.

Without this level, life in general and the existence of material objects is impossible. A person may think that he is an independent being, but this is not so, there is the basis of all Existence, which equally and unchangingly supports all being.

Sat is a Sanskrit word used in yoga, translated as “the true essence” or “that which is unchangeable.” It can be used to refer to an entity, species or the state of existence. In its most philosophical sense, sat, therefore, means “the ultimate reality” or Brahman.

Sat means "being, existence", "real, actual", "true, good, right", or "that which really is, existence, essence, true being, really existent, good, true".

Nice story full of baseless speculation but devoid of facts. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coil said:

One interesting characteristic of humans is an ability to construct and conjure up “just so” narratives aka creation stories. The actuality is biologically all that is required is working reproductive systems, I will add that hands down being a part of creating and bringing in new life doesn’t require undergirding the process with tales of lore because in and of itself it is miraculous in the awe inspiring sense. 

I am a practitioner of yoga 18 years and a certified yoga teacher and there is no such teaching in regards to “sat” Yoga basically means Union which means finding balance between the mind and the body, or being as healthy as possible in these areas if there is anything “spiritual” it would simply be meditation which really boils down to accepting one’s humanness. Sounds trite, but in reality it is not for the faint of heart, because the brain likes to spin lore as demonstrated quite well with your post. :P

https://www.biologyonline.com/dictionary/human

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

One interesting characteristic of humans is an ability to construct and conjure up “just so” narratives aka creation stories. The actuality is biologically all that is required is working reproductive systems, I will add that hands down being a part of creating and bringing in new life doesn’t require undergirding the process with tales of lore because in and of itself it is miraculous. 

This is not enough, believe me, but if it's easier for you to see a person, then this is your current level. And it took nature and nine classes of angels billions of years to work on a person so that he passed through the mineral, plant, animal kingdoms, developed subtle bodies, nervous system, brain, feelings, individuality, mind, human body, underwent evolution on three planets on which man lived earlier, the star system of constellations that served as the prototype of man and animals, and many more factors unknown to science.

I am a practitioner and certified teacher of yoga for 18 years and there is no such teaching in regards to “sat” Yoga only means Union which means finding balance between the mind and the body, if there is anything spiritual it would simply be meditation which really amounts to accepting one’s humanness. Sounds trite, but in reality it is not for the faint of heart, because the brain likes to spin lore as demonstrate quite well with your post. :P

https://www.biologyonline.com/dictionary/human

So you didn’t study Hinduism well, since Sat-Chit-Ananda is a structural component of the existence of the universe and man. If you translate into an understandable language this is matter-consciousness-feelings and all creatures, whether they are stones or a person, consist of these elements explicitly or covertly.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Coil said:

This is not enough, believe me, but if it's easier for you to see a person, then this is your current level. And it took nature and nine classes of angels billions of years to work on a person so that he passed through the mineral, plant, animal kingdoms, developed subtle bodies, nervous system, brain, feelings, individuality, mind, human body, underwent evolution on three planets on which man lived earlier, the star system of constellations that served as the prototype of man and animals, and many more factors unknown to science.

So you didn’t study Hinduism well, since Sat-Chit-Ananda is a structural component of the existence of the universe and man. If you translate into an understandable language this is matter-consciousness-feelings and all creatures, whether they are stones or a person, consist of these elements explicitly or covertly.

Your into woo, if it works for ya, kool. For me, it is complete nonsense and this is not personal towards you, just my two cents.

I look to biology and science to define humans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Your into woo, if it works for ya, kool. For me, it is complete nonsense and this is not personal towards you, just my two cents.

I look to biology and science to define humans. 

But…but…but I turn to Marvel and DC comics. Just as valid as Coil’s argument now, isn’t it? :D

cormac

• Haha 4