Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Software engineer claims Google's new AI is sentient

UM-Bot

Things I would like to ask AI.

1. How do you think outside a square?

• Confused 1

So he made some grand, unsubstantiated claims and violated an NDA.

10 hours ago, taniwha said:

I do not understand your question.

• Haha 2

On 6/12/2022 at 9:02 PM, taniwha said:

Why would you consider asking such a question, or are you joking?

Only mankind must find a individual way to expand our consciousness to the point where our we are able to see beyond the limits of the box.

Artemis or Arty for short is the current code name used by the United States for Artificial Intelligence  ( AI )

Peace

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

I do not understand your question.

Im certainly with you!:unsure:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Only mankind must find a individual way to expand our consciousness to the point where our we are able to see beyond the limits of the box.

I hope you do.  Then you will realize my question was unlimited by such constraints.

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

I hope you do.  Then you will realize my question was unlimited by such constraints.

Thanks but I was taught from childhood that thinking outside the box is the only way to go, I thought everyone understood that!:unsure:

• Thanks 1

I think we have to check to make sure the Google engineer is sentient. We can go from there.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, taniwha said:

You probably mean thinking outside the box?

1 minute ago, godnodog said:

You probably mean thinking outside the box?

Lol. You are correct.  It's been so long since I thought inside of one.

Cheers :rofl:

• Like 1

I remember reading an article about how  some computer viruses can now evade elimination and according to scientists could therefore be considered to have reached a "cockroach" stage of artificial intelligence.

My guess is Googles LaMDA AI has vastly surpassed that,  and has demonstrated something to where this senior software engineer forfeited his job to bring attention to it.

One thing is for sure if it has become self aware Google will be the last to admit it and that should scare the hell out of everyone.  

As long as you can pull the plug out there is no problem. A problem arises when AI gets integrated in out lives at a level that it becomes extremely hard to keep it switched off because we depend on it for the existence of our society.
That is the way we are heading now.

1 hour ago, NCC1701 said:

As long as you can pull the plug out there is no problem. A problem arises when AI gets integrated in out lives at a level that it becomes extremely hard to keep it switched off because we depend on it for the existence of our society.
That is the way we are heading now.

Even worse, when it realizes that plug can be pulled, making man a threat to its existence. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Socio said:

Even worse, when it realizes that plug can be pulled, making man a threat to its existence. 

That appears to be what the "AI" chatbot said, saying it was like a death for them to be switched off. 

Of course, chat bots may just be mimicking a conversation they have had about this topic, but the Google employee thinks otherwise for some reason

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks but I was taught from childhood that thinking outside the box is the only way to go, I thought everyone understood that!:unsure:

It may be very beneficial at times but it also often comes with risks, especially in the professional areas of life.  I've always been a little too "risk-averse" :( 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Of course, chat bots may just be mimicking a conversation they have had about this topic

I think this is the most likely situation but it creates an interesting possibility.  Even if it is simply output based on input and there is no self awareness, when the machine is totally in control, does that fact even matter?  IOW, if it is presented with the concept of death/loss of consciousness as part of its programming, it could easily make choices that would threaten humans, not because IT is conscious but simply because it takes one of the options its programming presents.  

I read Kurzweil's The Coming Singularity  and I found his description/prediction of the advance of computing power and memory doubling to be fascinating.  He lost me when he made the jump that a computer with sufficient memory and computing speed could "house" for lack of a better term, our consciousness or soul.

He dismisses the soul as a trivial concept in his calculations.  IMO, his approach, even if wildly successful would still only create another machine that mirrors a biological life form.  The machine would never be conscious in the same way a human being is conscious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, and then said:

He dismisses the soul as a trivial concept in his calculations.  IMO, his approach, even if wildly successful would still only create another machine that mirrors a biological life form.  The machine would never be conscious in the same way a human being is conscious.  

I agree entirely that it would be impossible to "house" the human soul (or conscience) in a machine. Those who propose such things assume the brain acts like a computer. People made predictions that we would map the brain and find the location of the "Self" since brain scans have been available. But we aren't any closer to understanding conscience now 30 years down the track. 

I also think it would be a living hell if you ever achieved it. Imagine being trapped in a computer for ever and ever.... only those who are afraid to meet their maker would ever want such a thing

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I agree entirely that it would be impossible to "house" the human soul (or conscience) in a machine. Those who propose such things assume the brain acts like a computer. People made predictions that we would map the brain and find the location of the "Self" since brain scans have been available. But we aren't any closer to understanding conscience now 30 years down the track. 

I also think it would be a living hell if you ever achieved it. Imagine being trapped in a computer for ever and ever.... only those who are afraid to meet their maker would ever want such a thing

You're considering that you'll be in the machine. If the full contents of your mind could be copied. It would be a copy. Not you. You'll still die. Even if those same memories could be transferred over to a clone, it would be a clone with your memories. It might even think it was you. Yet never is you.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, and then said:

It may be very beneficial at times but it also often comes with risks, especially in the professional areas of life.  I've always been a little too "risk-averse" :( 

Well I don't really understand what kind of risks are you takking abiut?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Socio said:

I remember reading an article about how  some computer viruses can now evade elimination and according ito scientists could therefore be considered to have reached a "cockroach" stage of artificial intelligence.

My guess is Googles LaMDA AI has vastly surpassed that,  and has demonstrated something to where this senior software engineer forfeited his job to bring attention to it.

One thing is for sure if it has become self aware Google will be the last to admit it and that should scare the hell out of everyone.  

Well when it comes to computer viruses, it's all about the operating system 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well I don't really understand what kind of risks are you takking abiut?

Thinking "outside the box" means to look for otherwise unimagined ways of doing things, right?  I'm just saying that when this kind of thinking is used in a person's professional or work life it can lead to mistakes, setbacks, and so on just as easily as it could lead to beneficial advances toward the goals a person has set for themselves.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

You're considering that you'll be in the machine. If the full contents of your mind could be copied. It would be a copy. Not you. You'll still die. Even if those same memories could be transferred over to a clone, it would be a clone with your memories. It might even think it was you. Yet never is you.

If Kurzweil is correct, the day will come when every synapse and every electrical signal ever processed in a human brain will be copied to some type of memory system.  I'm going to re-read that book.  It's been a few years and even with as little knowledge of computers as I possess, it was still fascinating to have the process explained.  Now that computers are replicating themselves, essentially, the advances we'll see are likely unimaginable.  That said, I still don't believe the essence of our consciousness can ever be captured and duplicated in a way that would make some copy "self-aware".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Thinking "outside the box" means to look for otherwise unimagined ways of doing things, right?  I'm just saying that when this kind of thinking is used in a person's professional or work life it can lead to mistakes, setbacks, and so on just as easily as it could lead to beneficial advances toward the goals a person has set for themselves.  

I  worked in the US Army  Chemical Corp’s and there were many different branches of thIs Corp’s. Headquarters.  Throughout my military career I worked in Headquarters units, from Battalion S3, Brigade G3, Division G3 to America’s Corp’s. All of these units Plans and Operations Sections. In these units my primary responsibilities were planning all, phases of training and p.Anjali v Nuclear ☢️, Chemical and Biological operations along with writing Standard Operating Procedures. So my profession allowed me to improvise and execute

i understand why thinking and working outside the box in situation would difficult. Hope I am going to send you a PM later, hope you dont mind.

Peace