Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can we time travel? A theoretical physicist provides some answers

Still Waters

Time travel makes regular appearances in popular culture, with innumerable time travel storylines in movies, television and literature. But it is a surprisingly old idea: one can argue that the Greek tragedy Oedipus Rex, written by Sophocles over 2,500 years ago, is the first time travel story.

But is time travel in fact possible? Given the popularity of the concept, this is a legitimate question. As a theoretical physicist, I find that there are several possible answers to this question, not all of which are contradictory.

Continued:

https://theconversation.com/can-we-time-travel-a-theoretical-physicist-provides-some-answers-182634

• Like 2

I think all people need to offer up their weird experiences.

Once we find a few who have had the odd experience of having a thought occur before a thought, we will quickly find out how to reverse time.

If it is at all possible, I'm inclined to belive in the theory that you would create a sperate timeline of events that line up casually with the time travel event. Granted, that's based on very little, but it would help avoid the paradoxes that arise with time travel and acausality in general. 

Of course nothing besides our own observations truely says the universe cannot violate our understanding of it. But, I like to believe in a logical universe where causality is perserved overall. Until I'm proven wrong beyond a shadow of doubt that is what makes most sense to my monkey brain.

simply, it will violated the law of conservation of energy. No need to complicate yourself with extreme ideas.

Time is related to space. You can't just pop out a person out of nowhere without determining the exact coordinates of the destination within the universe.

Time is in the mind of each and everyone of us I believe the key to unlocking time travel into the past is in the memories. I don’t believe anything in the past can ever be changed. But I do believe that the day will come that you’re past memories will be enhanced or suppressed which ever you prefer. The enhancement part of it will be so real beyond the dreams we all have that we will swear we went back in time. I believe there are people today who come very close to this now just in their dreams. I’ve had some very intense dreams that I’ve woken up from and felt like I was there.

Edited by Freez1