Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monkeypox to get a new name, says WHO

Still Waters

The World Health Organization says it is working with experts to come up with a new name for monkeypox.

It comes after more than 30 scientists wrote last week about the "urgent need for a non-discriminatory and non-stigmatising" name for the virus and the disease it causes.

Continued reference to the virus as African is both inaccurate and discriminatory, they said.

Some 1,600 cases of the disease have been recorded globally in recent weeks.

The World Health Organization says it will hold an emergency meeting next week to determine whether to classify the outbreak as a public health emergency of international concern - the highest alarm the UN agency can sound.

The only other diseases this has happened for in the past are Swine flu, polio, Ebola, Zika and Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61804132

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

The World Health Organization says it will hold an emergency meeting next week to determine whether to classify the outbreak as a public health emergency of international concern - the highest alarm the UN agency can sound.

We're losing the Covid control. Quick release the POX!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The World Health Organization says it is working with experts to come up with a new name for monkeypox.

It comes after more than 30 scientists wrote last week about the "urgent need for a non-discriminatory and non-stigmatising" name for the virus and the disease it causes.

Continued reference to the virus as African is both inaccurate and discriminatory, they said.

Some 1,600 cases of the disease have been recorded globally in recent weeks.

The only other diseases this has happened for in the past are Swine flu, polio, Ebola, Zika and Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61804132

What's discriminating or stigmatizing about the current name?  If they think it invokes images of dark skinned people then I suggest they are the racists. 

edit:

This guy looks like a monkey to me

10_jpeg66a99378afd33db89117548c37a5a35f.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

We're losing the Covid control. Quick release the POX!!!!!!

Yep.  Note the disgusting appearance of the lesions.  THAT'LL add some extra skin-crawling reaction to the fear of contracting it.  The only problem so far is that the demo that is coming down with it is pretty, uh, singular and specific.

3 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

This article says monkeys live everywhere apart from Australia and Antartica:Monkeys: Facts about the largest group of primates | Live Science

I don't know why monkeys should be associated with Africans particularly.

It's as old a connection as the blood libels against Jews.  It's tiresome and disgusting but it's also widespread.  It hasn't been too long since some soccer players in Europe were having bananas thrown on the pitch to insult them :( 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ell said:

I propose "WHO Fake Virus Scare Virus".

:w00t:

FBIplot.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Bigfootpox?

I like this because Bigfoot, to all intents and purposes, doesn't exist :P.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Monkeypox has been given a new name by the World Health Organization (WHO), which has announced the disease will now be called “mpox” in a bid to help tackle discrimination and stigma.

The WHO announced its intention to rename the disease in June after concerns were raised that its original name is misleading, stigmatising and discriminatory, with a crowd-sourcing effort to find a new name announced in August.

Now the WHO has revealed that the reference to non-human primates is to be dropped.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/28/monkeypox-to-be-renamed-mpox-to-avoid-stigma-says-who

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Monkeypox has been given a new name by the World Health Organization (WHO), which has announced the disease will now be called “mpox” in a bid to help tackle discrimination and stigma.

The WHO announced its intention to rename the disease in June after concerns were raised that its original name is misleading, stigmatising and discriminatory, with a crowd-sourcing effort to find a new name announced in August.

Now the WHO has revealed that the reference to non-human primates is to be dropped.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/28/monkeypox-to-be-renamed-mpox-to-avoid-stigma-says-who

mpox might mean manatee mink or maiasaura -pox, how can we be sure ?

On 6/14/2022 at 11:07 PM, OverSword said:

What's discriminating or stigmatizing about the current name?  If they think it invokes images of dark skinned people then I suggest they are the racists. 

edit:

This guy looks like a monkey to me

10_jpeg66a99378afd33db89117548c37a5a35f.

I honestly thought they meant it was stigmatizing against monkeys when I first read it, like badgers being blamed for TB and pangolins for Covid, though as far as I know there is no conclusive evidence for either of these ideas.

• Haha 1

What about the cows when we used to have "cowpox"?    And the chickens?   We still have "chicken pox".  How do you think the chickens feel?   Poor monkeys.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about the cows when we used to have "cowpox"?    And the chickens?   We still have "chicken pox".  How do you think the chickens feel?   Poor monkeys.

What happens when they want to rename blackjack sweets?

Or coffee whitener?

• Haha 1