Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blackpool illuminations 'are racist'


Eldorado
 Share

Recommended Posts

So does this also mean most US TV shows and movies will be banned because of their racist portrayal of Britons?    And Dick Van Dyke must be the most evil racist of them all!

Whatever happened to fun?   

(Meanwhile I quietly continue my campaign to ban anyone who isn't Brian Blessed from dressing up as Father Christmas ;)  )

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Just now, Essan said:

So does this also mean most US TV shows and movies will be banned because of their racist portrayal of Britons?    And Dick Van Dyke must be the most evil racist of them all!

Whatever happened to fun?   

(Meanwhile I quietly continue my campaign to ban anyone who isn't Brian Blessed from dressing up as Father Christmas ;)  )

To be fair, we stopped doing Austin Powers flicks because the Love Guru bombed.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Oh you're an Amerindian? I'll defer to your experience, then. 

 

And you used the term the NdNs in my generation actually like. :yes:

"Native American" is a term made up by SJWs. We didn't ask for it. Especially since anti-immigrant clowns use it to describe themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Piney said:

And you used the term the NdNs in my generation actually like. :yes:

"Native American" is a term made up by SJWs. We didn't ask for it. Especially since anti-immigrant clowns use it to describe themselves.

I took Amerindian studies in College, didn't graduate due to serious health issues, but I still remember learning about Chaco Canyon fondly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

It's donkey's years since I saw the Blackpool Illuminations.

I doubt 60 years ago when the display was made it was intended to offend. Things were different back in the 60s, there was all kinds of stuff allowed including TV sitcoms that wouldn't dare get aired today. 

If the display is now deemed to be offensive then it sounds like they need to address the complaint.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Pour the insults in a little at a time into the vessel of the soul.  Do it for a long time and the next drop added overflows the vessel.

First, I'm sure there was no insult intended in this display. My point was that if we are all to get along, we shouldn't be overly sensitive when no insult was intended. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well I understand your point of view, but the only way to figure out how the majority of opinions on the subject is to start a very simple thread with a poll. Then you may find the answers to question you have, in my opinion this isn’t about pointing fingers and calling people names that certainly doesn’t help this overall situation at all.

JIMHO 

Are you seriously asking PG1 to do his own research?? Come of it man. :lol::lol::lol:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

First, I'm sure there was no insult intended in this display. My point was that if we are all to get along, we shouldn't be overly sensitive when no insult was intended. 

I am in favor of more tolerance and being less quick to anger.  Good advice.

However you just read the minds of the  creators and viewers of the image to conclude no insult was intended and the  viewers were at fault for an unmeasured reaction to a trivial event.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I am in favor of more tolerance and being less quick to anger.  Good advice.

However you just read the minds of the  creators and viewers of the image to conclude no insult was intended and the  viewers were at fault for an unmeasured reaction to a trivial event.

It is true that I certainly don't suspect the Blackpool designers had insulting intentions but I can't read their minds.

I got involved here just to make the general point that to get along as a mixed society we all need some thickness in our skin and no over-eagerness to complain. 

We all need to not get worked up over the small stuff .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

...we are all humans, and all deserve respect. And  hopefully, in the future that respect will also extent to wild and domesticated animals,and wildernesses...

Many of them are inhuman (not my prefered description), given the way they treat animals:

https://ca.engagingnetworks.app/page/email?mid=d1088c0c9eec49729064f041938c8eb4

Quote

Our partner organization PETA Asia also found extreme animal cruelty when inspecting randomly selected slaughterhouses in Indonesia last year. The harrowing footage shows animals having their throats cut while fully conscious, and some still kicking as they are dragged across the bloody ground. Others still blink or gasp when hung from a metal hook

Quote

Before being gruesomely killed in the slaughterhouse, the animals were transported on an arduous journey from Australia to Indonesia. The day-long transport on overcrowded ships and trucks was pure hell, because the cows stood in their own faeces and urine, sometimes surrounded by dead and dying fellow cows

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

...Isn't this just diversity promotion - ie British TV got slated for not having enough diversity viewable - now we have plenty of 'diversity'...

A different sort of diversity, way back when :D:

 

Edited by Autistocrates
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Are you seriously asking PG1 to do his own research?? Come of it man. :lol::lol::lol:

I was being serious, but I see what you mean he really didn’t like the idea!:D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2022 at 4:26 AM, Piney said:

And you used the term the NdNs in my generation actually like. :yes:

"Native American" is a term made up by SJWs. We didn't ask for it. Especially since anti-immigrant clowns use it to describe themselves.

That is a term we were forced to use.   I don't mind using it, assuming they did not want to be called Indians.  

I've never heard of an anti-immigrant person using it.  Not even an anti illegal immigrant person.

Edited by Myles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is a term we were forced to use.   I don't mind using it, assuming they did not want to be called Indians.  

I've never heard of an anti-immigrant person using it.  Not even an anti illegal immigrant person.

Google "Nativists" and "One Nation United".

The Annie Randie Libertarian One Nation United clowns always used that term when pushing for disbanding tribal governments and trying to take away what's left of our independence. I was just on their website and the front page is still b****ing about Indian land use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

Google "Nativists" and "One Nation United".

The Annie Randie Libertarian One Nation United clowns always used that term when pushing for disbanding tribal governments and trying to take away what's left of our independence. I was just on their website and the front page is still b****ing about Indian land use.

I think we should just ignore them and not allow them to steal a term that most use in an OK way.  

I do the same with the OK sign.   I'm not gonna let a small group tell me I'm racist if I use the OK sign.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.