Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are we unable to remember being born ?

UM-Bot

Who the heck wants to remember that.  What I want to know is, why do we always want to go back in:lol:

• Haha 1

There was a time when I could remember what it was like to be in the womb. It was wonderful and I'm not surprised that people want to go back to that. I suppose when we are in the womb we think that is how the whole of life will feel. Then we discover it's just pain and disappointment from the on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

There was a time when I could remember what it was like to be in the womb.

Really?? You must be a rare case, Oluja

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

There was a time when I could remember what it was like to be in the womb.

WHAT?!?

:o:blink::unsure2:

• Like 2

I have many memories of my early years and theres some mystery surrounding some of them. I once tried to confirm some of those memories with family who were adults at the time and sadly they couldnt remember much detail.

Probably beccause our brains were not developed enough to retain the memories permanently. I remember very clearly certain things that happpened when I was 4, but before that, as far as I can discern, nothing. It's like all of the sudden here I was, before that...

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was an eight month child when I was born. I suspect that I was asleep when I was born.

Then again, I do not remember being in the womb.

I was mostly bored when I was a baby, lying in the cradle. Things got more interesting when I could crawl through the house.

I had lots of memories at the time, but I lived in the now.

• Like 1

Thank God no-one remembers being born...... I mean all the kicking and screming covered in someone else blood and things

• Sad 1

I remember being born, I got my first sighting of Bigfoot, or was it a bear? I don't blame mum, it was the 60's.

• Haha 3

I can imagine that being born must be really traumatic. Just imagine having to begin breathing air for example. Also, imagine being used to being in an environment your own body temperature and then suddenly going to an environment 15 C colder. Also, imagine the overflow of sensory perceptions that the baby is all of a sudden feeling after being in an environment where things are quite static. All in all, it would be a bit like if we suddenly found ourselves submerged in a liquid that we need to fill our lungs with and breathe, while at the same time strong lights are flashing in all colors of the rainbow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

There was a time when I could remember what it was like to be in the womb. It was wonderful and I'm not surprised that people want to go back to that. I suppose when we are in the womb we think that is how the whole of life will feel. Then we discover it's just pain and disappointment from the on.

I found this article with headline "Rebecca is the only person in the world who can remember life before she was born.": https://www.mamamia.com.au/andie-macdowell-now/

Edited by fred_mc
  • Confused 1

I had a talk with my mom when I was about 35.. I told her I remember begin knocked over in front yard of our house by a bull dog of all things, that plowed into me. My face was hit head on, my nose stung like hell and I went face down in the green grass. a vivid memory. I also told her I remember being at the beach, in a beach house with a hole in the middle of the living room with wood boards all over, ( un finished floor work), and also seeing a stuffed duck on a window sill when my dad picked me up. It was a house we had for a few years in Manzanita beach OR..

She was blown away when I described these events which still to this day remain vivid in my mind. She said I was 2 months old.

My Sister is one year younger than me, and my brother 2 years, and I still remember my mom n dad bringing them both home from the hospital after being born... If you could remember actually being born?..im not sure I would want to...

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2022 at 3:28 PM, ouija ouija said:

I dont believe that it was a actual memory but rather a really wonderful feeling that seems like a memory we dont do much pondering of life in the womb,

However, i fully get your point and i envy that type warm comfort feeling.

I got one for you to wrap you’re mind around. Let’s say you are a computer programmer developing artificial intelligence. Working towards that glorious day of self awareness in a digital simulation of the human mind. During the programming process you have to include memories that are false. These are implemented into the program in order for the knowledge associated with it to flow natural so it can build upon it becoming more human like. Are you following me on this? For it to become self aware it has to believe it’s as alive as we feel that we are. So the basic set of memories are imbedded in order to achieve this. 
Now as far as human memory goes and what or brain retains and what it tosses out. Last Monday what did you eat for breakfast? On June 19th 2022 can you recall half of that day? What about May 2, 2022 can you recall one solid hour of what you did that day? Our brain either can’t retain it all or it’s human nature to only remember the most important details in life. This puzzles me because you might live to be 100 but you won’t remember but about 10% of you’re own life. This is the same exact way a computer program would be written to become more human like.

• Like 1