Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Transgender swimmers banned from women's elite events

Silver

This is certainly something that sucks for trans people. But it really seems like the only fair way to do it to me.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if people would think differently if it was their own husband or son who was banned from competing in women's sports?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I was talking to my husband Dave tonight, as we were trying on our dresses for the Rugby Club 'do' (before he flounced off in a huff as I had forgotten he so loves blue ribbons), it would be awful if men were banned from women's sports as men are so rough and aggressive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A lot of people may not like it, but in my opinion, the only fair thing to do is have a separate league(s) for trans athletes; maybe down to MTF and FTM leagues. And then it may often boil down to how well their endocrinologist can dial in their hormones as it's an incredibly delicate mindfield to even balance an aging man with decreasing testosterone; much less/more someone transitioning. I hope trans people can find a niche in this, it's gotta be pretty frustrating. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I was talking to my husband Dave tonight, as we were trying on our dresses for the Rugby Club 'do' (before he flounced off in a huff as I had forgotten he so loves blue ribbons), it would be awful if men were banned from women's sports as men are so rough and aggressive!

With respect, I don't think it is because men are so rough and tough.  From the article you linked, it seems that the effect of going through  puberty adds some long lasting advantages  in strength and muscle development to men. 

For my part, it is a somewhat better result than I was expecting.  To be honest, I was hoping this would be handled within the sport because I am adverse to the current authoritarian trend within our US politics. Since legislators seem incapable of interfacing with other issues in the world, they are distracting the populace with these social and personal issues that only an authoritarian government would think about legislating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

A lot of people may not like it, but in my opinion, the only fair thing to do is have a separate league(s) for trans athletes; maybe down to MTF and FTM leagues. And then it may often boil down to how well their endocrinologist can dial in their hormones as it's an incredibly delicate mindfield to even balance an aging man with decreasing testosterone; much less/more someone transitioning. I hope trans people can find a niche in this, it's gotta be pretty frustrating. 

Cismale, Cisfemale and opens. Anyone can compete in the opens if they meet the performance criteria.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Fina, swimming's world governing body, has voted to stop transgender athletes from competing in women's elite races if they have gone through any part of the process of male puberty.

The new policy requires transgender competitors to have completed their transition by the age of 12 in order to be able to compete in women's competitions.

Fina will also aim to establish an 'open' category at competitions for swimmers whose gender identity is different than their birth sex.

Fina bars transgender swimmers from women's elite events if they went through male puberty - BBC Sport

This is a good thing although I would ban any biological male from competing in female sports.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Myles said:

This is a good thing although I would ban any biological male from competing in female sports.  

It will be the death of women's sports. There was someone on sky news saying that the transgender swimmer who was in the news recently, was 800th in the world as a male, but a year later had beaten 3 Olympiads- because of changing to womens sport, not because of an improvement.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

It will be the death of women's sports. There was someone on sky news saying that the transgender swimmer who was in the news recently, was 800th in the world as a male, but a year later had beaten 3 Olympiads- because of changing to womens sport, not because of an improvement.

I agree.   If they are allowed to compete against biological females, they might as well do away with women's sports altogether.   You would think we would be past the point of treating women unfairly.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

That's inaccurate.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

That's inaccurate.

You're right. He was 452nd, not 800th best. Now he is a world champion. The interviewee on Sky was making the point that his times hadn't improved over two years, so what had changed? (it was her point, I didn't make it I just listened).

This came up first in a search, I don't know if it is reliable: Transgender Swimmer Lia Thomas: Title IX Complaint Filed against UPenn | National Review

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

You're right. He was 452nd, not 800th best. Now he is a world champion. The interviewee on Sky was making the point that his times hadn't improved over two years, so what had changed? (it was her point, I didn't make it I just listened).

This came up first in a search, I don't know if it is reliable: Transgender Swimmer Lia Thomas: Title IX Complaint Filed against UPenn | National Review

That's inaccurate too.

Wrong event. Wrong competition.

Lia Thomas was ranked sixth as a male freshman in the event she won as a fifth year woman.

Times don't improve when you sit out of competition for three years.

Explain how you become world champion from the NCAA championships.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Wrong event.

Lia Thomas was ranked sixth as a male freshman in the event she won as a fifth year woman.

Times don't improve when you sit out of competition for three years.

The figures may be wrong, but you are making exactly the same point as the interviewee- that she wasn't so hot against males, but won against women even if her times were worse.The interviewee also pointed out that men usually had longer bones, larger muscles, etc.  I don't care much about sport, but I think that womens sport will die out if men are allowed to dominate it. I also think a lot of women don't like the fact that men are trying to hijack their exclusive sexuality- you don't get women demanding to use men's changing rooms in the way men are with women's, for example.

Edit: I may have misheard 800th, when she was actually in the top 8, as this article says:I’m a trans athlete too – banning swimmers like Lia Thomas completely misses the point | The Independent

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

The figures may be wrong, but you are making exactly the same point as the interviewee- that she wasn't so hot against males, but won against women even if her times were worse.The interviewee also pointed out that men usually had longer bones, larger muscles, etc.  I don't care much about sport, but I think that womens sport will die out if men are allowed to dominate it. I also think a lot of women don't like the fact that men are trying to hijack their exclusive sexuality- you don't get women demanding to use men's changing rooms in the way men are with women's, for example.

Edit: I may have misheard 800th, when she was actually in the top 8, as this article says:I’m a trans athlete too – banning swimmers like Lia Thomas completely misses the point | The Independent

I don't think the facts reinforce your point at all.

The NCAA is a college competion; and, improvement in performance from freshman to senior is uniform across all sports.  The rating of "not so hot" is an ambiguous set of weasel words; and, not necessarily interchangeable with ranking sixth nationally as a freshman.

History is into its fifth decade since Dr Renee Richards competed as a woman in the US Tennis Open.  Women's sport appears to be rallying against your prognosis of death.

Posted (edited)

But Lord Coe has now revealed that World Athletics is set to discuss adopting a new eligibility policy, and welcomed Fina's move.

"We see an international federation asserting its primacy in setting rules, regulations and policies that are in the best interest of its sport," he told BBC Sport.

"This is as it should be. We have always believed that biology trumps gender and we will continue to review our regulations in line with this. We will follow the science.

"We continue to study, research and contribute to the growing body of evidence that testosterone is a key determinant in performance, and have scheduled a discussion on our regulations with our council at the end of the year."

Transgender athletes: Lord Coe hints athletics could follow swimming in banning trans women - BBC Sport

It is just common sense that ex-men have an advantage in any sport where physical strength is important. That's why we have seperate competitions for men and women: in tennis, running, football, whatever.

What is the point of a 7 stone woman reaching peak physical fitness when she will have to compete with a 10 stone ex-man in peak physical fitness when the competition relies on a sudden burst of physical strength, like the 100 meters? None. As a resolution, we could have an award ceremony when the trans winner "wins", but the female who came second will be secretly regarded as the 'real' winner. Or, men could just leave women alone to get on with their lives and sport.

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

But Lord Coe has now revealed that World Athletics is set to discuss adopting a new eligibility policy, and welcomed Fina's move.

"We see an international federation asserting its primacy in setting rules, regulations and policies that are in the best interest of its sport," he told BBC Sport.

"This is as it should be. We have always believed that biology trumps gender and we will continue to review our regulations in line with this. We will follow the science.

"We continue to study, research and contribute to the growing body of evidence that testosterone is a key determinant in performance, and have scheduled a discussion on our regulations with our council at the end of the year."

Transgender athletes: Lord Coe hints athletics could follow swimming in banning trans women - BBC Sport

It is just common sense that ex-men have an advantage in any sport where physical strength is important. That's why we have seperate competitions for men and women: in tennis, running, football, whatever.

What is the point of a 7 stone woman reaching peak physical fitness when she will have to compete with a 10 stone ex-man in peak physical fitness when the competition relies on a sudden burst of physical strength, like the 100 meters? None. As a resolution, we could have an award ceremony when the trans winner "wins", but the female who came second will be secretly regarded as the 'real' winner. Or, men could just leave women alone to get on with their lives and sport.

A trans man is not in peak physical condition.  They are on trstosterone inhibitors.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

A trans man is not in peak physical condition.  They are on trstosterone inhibitors.

A trans man is a biological female and is on testosterone, not testosterone inhibitors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

A trans man is a biological female and is on testosterone, not testosterone inhibitors

You got me.

Of course i intended to say trans woman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

You got me.

Of course i intended to say trans woman

Don't let me catch you misgendering again!

But seriously, if you can't keep up, who can when these words like man and women are meaningless

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

The All-American swimmer who became an outspoken advocate for women's athletics after competing against transgender swimmer Lia Thomas is supporting Sen. Rand Paul's re-election bid, and says Paul is "not afraid to fight for fairness" in a new campaign ad.

"I trained from an early age, giving it my all to achieve my dream," Riley Gaines says in the 30-second ad. "And I accomplished it, becoming a 12-time All-American swimmer at the University of Kentucky. But for girls across America that dream is being taken away by men competing in women’s sports. Sadly, few stood up for me."

Gaines competed against Lia Thomas, the transgender swimmer for the University of Pennsylvania, in her senior year at the 200-meter race at the NCAA Championships, one of the most competitive events in swimming. After tying with Thomas down to the hundredth of a second, Gaines said Thomas was given the trophy for "photo purposes" while Gaines had to wait for hers to be sent to her in the mail.

Gaines told Fox News Digital in an interview she thinks the Biden administration is "absolutely not pro-women" and is pursing "regressive" policies.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/all-american-swimmer-who-raced-lia-thomas-rand-paul-stood-up-for-me-new-ad

On 6/20/2022 at 11:18 PM, Golden Duck said:

...improvement in performance from freshman to senior is uniform across all sports...

Are we talking fresh men or fresh something else?

• Haha 1

Men have so much more upper body strength than women that it just wouldn't be a contest or it would be dominated by transgender folk. They maybe should have a third sex category?

Edited by openozy
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, openozy said:

Men have so much more upper body strength than women that it just wouldn't be a contest or it would be dominated by transgender folk. They maybe should have a third sex category?

How about….

On 6/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Cismale, Cisfemale and opens. Anyone can compete in the opens if they meet the performance criteria.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, openozy said:

The majority of female athletes support transgender women in women's sport 

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/majority-of-female-athletes-support-the-inclusion-of-transgender-women-20220419-p5aehx.html

It's a political football being kicked around. Something for right whingers to be outraged about. If female athletes support the notion, seems to me the rest of us should butt out and let the athletes make the call. 

• Like 1