Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turtle dove numbers plunge by 98% in UK, study finds

Still Waters

Just 2,100 pairs of turtle doves now breed in the UK - a startling fall of 98% in the highly threatened bird's numbers.

The first national survey of the turtle dove - long considered a symbol of love - suggested the alarming decline was due to loss of habitat in UK breeding grounds and unsustainable hunting as it migrates over Europe to and from Africa.

Research last year by volunteers, farmers, study groups, county bird clubs and other organisations, recording turtle doves across their UK range, reveals there are now an estimated 2,100 pairs, down from 125,000 in 1970.

But wildlife charity the RSPB said there was hope for the species, with solutions now in place to tackle the threats it faces.

https://news.sky.com/story/turtle-dove-numbers-plunge-by-98-in-uk-study-finds-12637449

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My bad.

I've been giving too many of them away 'on the second day of Christmas'.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

My bad.

I've been giving too many of them away 'on the second day of Christmas'.

You should only be giving 2 of them.  

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, Still Waters said:

Just 2,100 pairs of turtle doves now breed in the UK - a startling fall of 98% in the highly threatened bird's numbers.

The first national survey of the turtle dove - long considered a symbol of love - suggested the alarming decline was due to loss of habitat in UK breeding grounds and unsustainable hunting as it migrates over Europe to and from Africa.

Research last year by volunteers, farmers, study groups, county bird clubs and other organisations, recording turtle doves across their UK range, reveals there are now an estimated 2,100 pairs, down from 125,000 in 1970.

But wildlife charity the RSPB said there was hope for the species, with solutions now in place to tackle the threats it faces.

https://news.sky.com/story/turtle-dove-numbers-plunge-by-98-in-uk-study-finds-12637449

Maybe they've simply changed their migration patterns? Here in the Netherlands there are still more than enough.