Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Transhumanism as Ardent Materialism

Amita

Joe Allen outlines the appeal and danger of Transhumanism:

https://www.thethinkingconservative.com/the-slippery-slope-to-cyborg-theocracy/

"Techno-optimists like to say humans are already cyborgs awaiting their next upgrade. Yesterday it was smartphones, today it’s virtual reality goggles, and tomorrow—the brain chip. With each new device, our evolution toward human-machine symbiosis accelerates. That’s obvious when you ask someone for directions and they pull out their phone."

Edited by Amita

For me, there is no doubting or denying that many humans are already partial conversion psyborgs, living 'normal' lives with synthetic and manmade organ and body parts that replaced faulty or worn out biological ones.

Pacemakers, full synthetic hearts, synthetic joints (and myriad others) all merged with the biology of the body where they then remain part of that body system, incorporated and functional.  psyborgs.

I think perhaps the future of the technology will stray further away from synthetic modeling apparatus, toward biological forms through organ printing and stem cell growth method advancements.

Chips seem like they're a done deal within time though.  No doubt a whole swathe of the population will be lining up and foaming at the mouth to be 'chipped' with the latest 'alwayzzz-connected' chips that will be offered in time. 

A friend and coworker of mine and I have long held that where phones are prevalent, we've societally already moved to a psyborg based memory mind, though the tech is not installed within the body, we carry it in our pocket for now, or it sits on our desk.  How often do we bring information out of memory, versus just looking it up on a tablet, phone, or computer. 

Socrates bemoaned the advance of the written language as "the death of thinking"  Whereas Einstein promoted and celebrated it.  "Why would I bother memorizing endless formulas, when I can take the book off the shelf that holds it for me, freeing up my mind for imagination and solutions?"  (paraphrase)  Books were the computer memory and internet before such existed.  (I bemoan that I no longer have the set of Encyclopedia Brittanica that my Mom purchsed for me to study from at home as a kid).  

I like to play mini games in life, one of which is to not allow myself to look up information on my phone, tablet or computer for a period of time.  Just work the biological recall process.  It's also fun to compare the biological process with the technical one.  Depending on the tech's sources, it's not always more reliable it turns out.

• Like 1

Yes quiXilver - good points.  But ordinary memory differs from what Plato called recollection; which is an intuition of our divine source & supra-human realms. 

Being way past 70 years myself, I find my memory is still pretty good - if I give it more time to function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you're holding strong @Amita.  We may grow old, but no one says we have to be old.

My Father was absolutely lucid and had a fiercely observative and high functioning mind to his dying day (mid 70's). 

My Mother lost her functional day to day and relational mind to dementia about 10 years prior to her body giving out. 

I'm in my mid 50's and in an effort to promote mind health have begun exploring and adopting new skills/habits to help with neuropathway plasticity.  PIcked up the acoustic guitar some years ago as one example.  I'm focusing on habits that require physical skills as well as mentation and are entirely new pathways for my mind's network, something new to grapple with...

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 12:16 AM, Amita said:

Joe Allen outlines the appeal and danger of Transhumanism:

https://www.thethinkingconservative.com/the-slippery-slope-to-cyborg-theocracy/

"Techno-optimists like to say humans are already cyborgs awaiting their next upgrade. Yesterday it was smartphones, today it’s virtual reality goggles, and tomorrow—the brain chip. With each new device, our evolution toward human-machine symbiosis accelerates. That’s obvious when you ask someone for directions and they pull out their phone."

That is why we should appreciate the fact that we can still defecate and urinate and eat and make love absent the smartphone.