Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man discovers weird alien coin in a roll of quarters

Must be the Mandela Effect. Where in an alternative reality we're all fat headed aliens.:lol:

My first thought was an arcade token.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I used to find game arcade coins in my loose change quite a lot back in the day when there were travelling funfairs that visited communities every year.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

How did a people know back in 1937 that the aliens have big eyes? :unsure2:

Same way they knew to put the coin in a vault for 85 years to preserve the mint quality. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I though this thread would rate a solid 1 out of 10, but "hobo" coins? Damn, I had no idea such a thing existed; what a rabbit hole that was.

Thread delivers, in a totally unexpected way.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A coin hobbyist has posted up a photograph of the unusual coin which features the face of an extraterrestrial.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/358575/man-discovers-weird-alien-coin-in-a-roll-of-quarters

I used to be more into coin collecting and find it a bit hard to buy that a person grabbing lots of coins to fish out silver ones wasnt savvy to hobo nickles and that an alien bust would be modern art piece.

My dad would carve stuff and when he did coins he would toss them back into circulation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, XenoFish said:

Must be the Mandela Effect. Where in an alternative reality we're all fat headed aliens.:lol:

My first thought was an arcade token.

The date and word LIBERTY yell “coin !!” - specifically an Indian Head nickel. 

Edited by O. G. Wottasnozzle
Add info
  • Like 2

Whomever did the engraving is (or should be) a professional. Also, I don't think this is a 'hobo coin'; I think it was done more recently and by someone who has access to a shop or studio. They just used an antique coin as their canvas, IMO.

(EDIT: I see a link to essentially that has been posted, lol.)

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, the13bats said:

I used to be more into coin collecting and find it a bit hard to buy that a person grabbing lots of coins to fish out silver ones wasnt savvy to hobo nickles and that an alien bust would be modern art piece.

My dad would carve stuff and when he did coins he would toss them back into circulation.

I completely agree. I collected when I was younger. Even in sixth grade we knew about hobo nickels. Methinks this guy was either just a silver hunter with little numismatic knowledge, or more likely trying for his 15 minutes. 

Of course uninformed media hype isn’t helping either. E.g. about 10 years ago papers in LA were wetting their pants over a guy who was supposedly handing out “extremely rare 1865 Washington quarters”. It was over a week before they discovered George didn’t show up on the quarter till 1932 and the “rarities” were cheap pot-metal fakes. /sigh

• Like 3

Doesnt look carved at all unless there is something I didnt know about kniving coins.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Whomever did the engraving is (or should be) a professional. Also, I don't think this is a 'hobo coin'; I think it was done more recently and by someone who has access to a shop or studio. They just used an antique coin as their canvas, IMO.

(EDIT: I see a link to essentially that has been posted, lol.)

Yeah, the term "hobo nickel" blankets art on coins, and while true believers might balk its safe to say back in the day of "orginals" none were grey aliens.

Also the alien coin in this thread and one from the article linked are from the same artist or a copy cat, 

Just imagine what a modern engraver could do.

Ebay is full of such coin art.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Doesnt look carved at all unless there is something I didnt know about kniving coins.

Thats the idea.

I wonder how many rolls of quarters you need to go through to make a living.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I wonder how many rolls of quarters you need to go through to make a living.

I dont understand make a living at what?

Hobo coins?

Silver?

14 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Where can you get one?

Ebay is full, some pretty cool, i might grab a skull creepy one put it in a coin ring wear it as a necklace,

I do see a difference between old hand craved ones and the newest that i believe are machine made/craved.

Im going to watch my change closer.