Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real ancient mysteries (not Atlantis) that we need to discuss!


Recommended Posts

@Piney

Care to weigh in with your Atlantis expertise?

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eye of the Sahara. People say it’s from an underground volcano but the rock isn’t fused correctly. It doesn’t have evidence of a meteor strike like any in history. I believe that is just a lazy excuse for the unknown. It doesn’t lay on a tectonic line. And there are no other volcanic activity near it historically. Man made imo.

Atlantis? No. Meteor. No. Mystery. Yes.

 

jeer me. Don’t care.

C9ED21AA-7E26-4638-8DC2-74E2DBBE95A2.jpeg.7572ebd3cc23900c9d8ace6014adf71e.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we have:

1. What happened to the Vandino and Ugolino Vivaldi? They left Genoa in May 1291 with the purpose of going to India by way of the Atlantic 'Ocean sea', and vowed to bring back useful things for trade - but instead disappeared.

2. Did the Polynesian reach and start a colony on the north coast of Australia?

3. What caused medieval dance plague in Strasbourg, 1518?

4. What is the eye of the Sahara - how did it come about?

5. What was the actual war or conflict that gave rise to the epic poem that we came to know as the Iliad?

6. What was the nature and demise of the Norte Chico/Caral Supe Advanced Culture or was it a civilization?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

This need was noted by one of our favorites here: and so I will start the thread for him.

What I suggest is that we make a list of actual mysteries - not common fringe ones like Atlantis that have been beaten to death. Then see if there is anything in them that needs deeper exploration.

I'll start with three:

1. What happened to the Vandino and Ugolino Vivaldi? They left Genoa in May 1291 with the purpose of going to India by way of the Atlantic 'Ocean sea', and vowed to bring back useful things for trade - but instead disappeared.

2. Did the Polynesian reach and start a colony on the north coast of Australia,?

 

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

3. Did Harte start the New Madrid earthquakes that led to a continent wide disaster while trying to dig a hole for his swimming pool,

I believe that was certainly the case, but I don’t think he did intentionally!:D

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

 

I believe that was certainly the case, but I don’t think he did intentionally!:D

Well, I was informed that Harte would have only been 11-12 at the time so it was probably his Grandfather, Jedediah 'Howlin mad' Harte who may have done it and that was digging a moat, not a pool, to keep the neighbors away. 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

This need was noted by one of our favorites here: and so I will start the thread for him.

What I suggest is that we make a list of actual mysteries - not common fringe ones like Atlantis that have been beaten to death. Then see if there is anything in them that needs deeper exploration.

I'll start with three:

1. What happened to the Vandino and Ugolino Vivaldi? They left Genoa in May 1291 with the purpose of going to India by way of the Atlantic 'Ocean sea', and vowed to bring back useful things for trade - but instead disappeared.

2. Did the Polynesian reach and start a colony on the north coast of Australia?

3. Did Harte start the New Madrid earthquakes that led to a continent wide disaster while trying to dig a hole for his swimming pool?

I would add the following Ancient Mysteries to the list.

1. Who were the Sumerians, and what was their original homeland?

2. The Copper Scroll that was discovered with other Dead Sea Scrolls: As its name suggests, the writing was engraved onto a copper scroll. The scroll records a vast amount of hidden gold and silver treasure — so much, in fact, that some scholars believe that it is impossible for it to exist?

3. Is the Sumerian Cuneiform actually the first written language?

There are other possibilities such as proto-writing systems that mainly used symbols that are older

4. While this isn’t ancient it could certainly make for an interesting conversation:  Who was Jack the Ripper?

5. Who actually discovered American?

Hope this helps!:tu:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

4. What caused medieval dance plague in Strasbourg, 1518?

Sir, are you referring to Europe’s first Pride Parade, because I think you are.

:)

—Jaylemurph 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Well, I was informed that Harte would have only been 11-12 at the time so it was probably his Grandfather, Jedediah 'Howlin mad' Harte who may have done it and that was digging a moat, not a pool, to keep the neighbors away. 

Thanks for the update. The New Madrid fault has actually always been an interesting topic for me. I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri and actually experienced a small earthquake there, in either the late 60s or the early 70s. In addition by just driving around areas where ‘Mississippi or the Missouri rivers are close to unpopulated areas you can still see the obvious effects that remain from the major earthquake that occurred from 1811 thru 1812. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Sir, are you referring to Europe’s first Pride Parade, because I think you are.

:)

—Jaylemurph 

:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_plague_of_1518

The dancing plague of 1518, or dance epidemic of 1518, was a case of dancing mania that occurred in Strasbourg, Alsace (modern-day France), in the Holy Roman Empire from July 1518 to September 1518. Somewhere between 50 and 400 people took to dancing for weeks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_plague_of_1518

The dancing plague of 1518, or dance epidemic of 1518, was a case of dancing mania that occurred in Strasbourg, Alsace (modern-day France), in the Holy Roman Empire from July 1518 to September 1518. Somewhere between 50 and 400 people took to dancing for weeks.

Drugs.

 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952ad1da6fac640b6fc0

 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for the update. The New Madrid fault has actually always been an interesting topic for me. I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri and actually experienced a small earthquake there, in either the late 60s or the early 70s. In addition by just driving around areas where ‘Mississippi or the Missouri rivers are close to unpopulated areas you can still see the obvious effects that remain from the major earthquake that occurred from 1811 thru 1812. 

Yeah a few weeks ago I read a book called: When the Mississippi ran backwards by Jay Feldman and it covered what was going on in that period in history just before, during and after the quakes hit.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Drugs.

 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952ad1da6fac640b6fc0

 

Wasn't there a link to contamination of the rye grain supply and that cause a number of people to go weird; might have been called the plague of the dance of St. John.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Wasn't there a link to contamination of the rye grain supply and that cause a number of people to go weird; might have been called the plague of the dance of St. John.

Isn’t that ergot poisoning? 
 

cormac

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Wasn't there a link to contamination of the rye grain supply and that cause a number of people to go weird; might have been called the plague of the dance of St. John.

Micro magic mushies huh. 

Poppy missed those I think. :lol:

Bloody interesting though. Some reports claim deaths, do you know if that was ever confirmed? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

''The fascinating, Tragic Dancing Plague of 1518 That Killed 400 People.''

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

Yeah a few weeks ago I read a book called: When the Mississippi ran backwards by Jay Feldman and it covered what was going on in that period in history just before, during and after the quakes hit.

Yes apparently the fault zone under the Mississippi River rose up for period of time that blocked the rivers path and this caused the river to appear that it was running backwards. Below are some Papers on the subject that explains the process that occurred better than ‘I am able to. Most Americans don’t know that the Earthquakes from 1811 - 1812 were the most powerful Earthquakes that have ever occurred in the United States, and they also don’t realize that it could happen again and that’s a bit scary because if it happened today the damage would beyond comprehension. 
 

The Enigma of the New Madrid Earthquakes of 1811 - 1812: https://adsabs.harvard.edu/pdf/1996AREPS..24..339J

Constraintson the Locationof the Late Quaternary Reelfoot and New Madrid North Faults in the NorthernNew Madrid Seismic
Zone, Central UnitedStates:  https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James-Harris

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Isn’t that ergot poisoning? 
 

cormac

Different grains can produce mycotoxins as the following paragraph explains, oh and by the way a Biological Weapon that was produced by the Russians in the 1970s was also a Mycotoxin, it was T-2 Mycotoxin (pronounced as 'Tee-Two') which is a trichothecene mycotoxin, to the World it was known as YELLOW RAIN, and it was deadly. The Soviet Union tested it in Asian Countries from the late 1970s into the 1980s. 

Mycotoxins are secondary metabolites of moulds that represent a significant food safety issue and pose a risk to health and wellbeing of humans and animals, having a negative impact on economies all over the world. They can cause intoxication in animals and affect the less productive performance and nutritional value of animal feed. Also, mycotoxins may contaminate different types of food through directly and indirectly way and cause negative health effects in humans.

To estimate the potential of their harmful effect it is necessary to know the terms of mycotoxins occurrence and frequency, toxicity and biotransformation in different animal species and humans, possibility of contamination prevention, and their inactivation or reduction in the case when the incidence is inevitable. The relatively small number of comparable data on the incidence of mycotoxins in feed from European countries show the necessity of systematic control and the application of validated analytical methods in their determination. This paper gives the overview of incidence of grains and feed contamination with most important and common mycotoxins and the evidenced toxic effects in animals.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290185013_Mycotoxins_in_grains_and_feed_Contamination_and_toxic_effect_in_animals

@Hanslune

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Were the Americas peopled before 30,000 years ago? Did Homo erectus or other non-sapiens hominins make it to the Americas?

I'm not convinced, but it's an interesting idea worth exploring. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Were the Americas peopled before 30,000 years ago? Did Homo erectus or other non-sapiens hominins make it to the Americas?

I'm not convinced, but it's an interesting idea worth exploring. 

I certainly agree, because as it is there are small amounts of proof that could push the subject in either direction. The important thing to consider is how they arrived before 30,000 years ago. It would most likely have been by using rafts or small boats tha could be used to follow the coast lines because a direct route into the Continent would have been blocked by Glaciers.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uh I got one, and it only took me all night to remember it!

The Baghdad battery!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Uh I got one, and it only took me all night to remember it!

The Baghdad battery!

That’s a cool piece of history, if I remember correctly it was determined to be approximately 2000 years old. It was thought to be designed to electroplate items such as putting a layer of one metal (gold) onto the surface of another (silver), a method still practiced in Iraq today. But, there is a great deal of controversy as to what it was actually used for, some believe that the tube inside was used to protect very important documents.

Because the presence of papy- rus inside the copper tube does strongly suggest that the vessels were used to store written messages on papyrus for the afterworld, which were sealed in the vessels with asphalt plugs. But, who knows, it’s certainly an interesting topic, and one thing is absolutely for certain these items no matter their use were definitely not from extraterrestrials origin like some of the crazies have claimed.:tu:

Peace Zep

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Were the Americas peopled before 30,000 years ago? Did Homo erectus or other non-sapiens hominins make it to the Americas?

I'm not convinced, but it's an interesting idea worth exploring. 

Here is some of the oldest proof of human occupation I am aware of:

1. Earliest Evidence of Human Activity Found in the Americas: Footprints at White Sands National Park in New Mexico confirm human presence over at least two millennia, with the oldest tracks dating back 23,00 years. https://news.arizona.edu/story/earliest-evidence-human-activity-found-americas

2.  Controversial cave discoveries suggest humans reached Americas much earlier than thought:  Archaeologists excavating a cave in the mountains of central Mexico have unearthed evidence that people occupied the area more than 30,000 years ago — suggesting that humans arrived in North America at least 15,000 years earlier than thought. Published in Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02190-y

3.  The Fertile Shore:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-humans-came-to-americas-180973739/

4.  Human occupation in South America by 20,000 BC: the Toca da Tira Peia site, Piauí, Brazil: Journal of Archaeological Science: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eric-Boeda/publication/274069344_fichier_combine/links/5513efee0cf23203199ccb93/fichier-combine.pdf

5.  Early Human Settlement of Northeastern North America: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/20555563.2016.1212178

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.