Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real ancient mysteries (not Atlantis) that we need to discuss!

Hanslune

I'm sure there may have preliminary site assessments, but has there been any in-depth archaeological digs near the Richat Structure?

I wonder if at any point it held any significance to the peoples of that region.

• Like 3

Don't have links, but there have been two digs there. They found ancient stone tools (Acheulean). I think the second one was to look for more.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

How far to the north of Europe Neanderthals reached?

Wolf Cave - Finland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Cave

http://susiluola.fi/lupus/wolfcave/neanderthalman/

"The Wolf Cave is Finland’s largest cave, at least 400 square meters, 18 meters deep and 25 meters long. The crevice in the primary rock is horizontal, and Hirvas assumes that it can extend to the top of the Vargberget (The Wolf Hill). The cave opening can be up to about a billion years old, but how old the cave is, no one can say."

http://sydaby.eget.net/eng/wolf/wolf_ralf.htm

Schulz closed his article in Populär Arkeologi by pointing out that many years ago people in Central Europe found the remains of a neanderthal man who lived more than 250,000 years ago. "With this background one can perhaps guess that these visitors to the Wolf Cave were an earlier edition of the neanderthal man."

There is still an open debate about whether Neanderthals lived in Wolf Cave in Finland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

How far to the north of Europe Neanderthals reached?

Wolf Cave - Finland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Cave

http://susiluola.fi/lupus/wolfcave/neanderthalman/

"The Wolf Cave is Finland’s largest cave, at least 400 square meters, 18 meters deep and 25 meters long. The crevice in the primary rock is horizontal, and Hirvas assumes that it can extend to the top of the Vargberget (The Wolf Hill). The cave opening can be up to about a billion years old, but how old the cave is, no one can say."

http://sydaby.eget.net/eng/wolf/wolf_ralf.htm

Schulz closed his article in Populär Arkeologi by pointing out that many years ago people in Central Europe found the remains of a neanderthal man who lived more than 250,000 years ago. "With this background one can perhaps guess that these visitors to the Wolf Cave were an earlier edition of the neanderthal man."

There is still an open debate about whether Neanderthals lived in Wolf Cave in Finland.

Ancient Siberian cave hosted Neanderthals, Denisovans, and modern humans—possibly at the same time: https://www.science.org/content/article/ancient-siberian-cave-hosted-neanderthals-denisovans-and-modern-humans-possibly-same

Mum’s a Neanderthal, Dad’s a Denisovan: First discovery of an ancient-human hybrid: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06004-0

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Ancient Siberian cave hosted Neanderthals, Denisovans, and modern humans—possibly at the same time: https://www.science.org/content/article/ancient-siberian-cave-hosted-neanderthals-denisovans-and-modern-humans-possibly-same

Mum’s a Neanderthal, Dad’s a Denisovan: First discovery of an ancient-human hybrid: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06004-0

Yes, I know for the Denisova Cave in Siberia. Yet, it is much further south than the Wolf Cave in Finland. Neanderthals and the Wolf Cave is a particularly interesting case given the Ice Age and a geographical depth of the ice sheet during the Ice Age. The main question here is when the Neanderthals came so far north, and whether that was before the last Ice Age. They may have been surprised and trapped in the Wolf Cave when the Ice Age came.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 4:18 PM, Trelane said:

I'm sure there may have preliminary site assessments, but has there been any in-depth archaeological digs near the Richat Structure?

I wonder if at any point it held any significance to the peoples of that region.

As an oil man. I can only tell you it would be tough. I’ve been in that area and it’s so desolate you cannot imagine. I am not a paleontologist or archeologist but I would think you would need a viable camp and water supply. It would be very expensive.

most people don’t know that the worlds largest oilfield isn’t in the Middle East. It’s actually in the middle of Australia. It’s shale so you need water to Frac. That’s the holdup. 

logistics. I imagine for persons in the other fields run up against logistics too. 

just me spitballing. I don’t know.

• Thanks 4

Why did people carve the Stone Spheres of Costa Rica?

“The people who made them didn’t leave any written records. We’re left to archaeological data to try to reconstruct the context. The culture of the people who made them became extinct shortly after the Spanish conquest. So, there are no myths or legends or other stories that are told by the indigenous people of Costa Rica about why they made these spheres''.

The Mysterious Stone Spheres of Costa Rica... - Secret World

This was always interesting to me.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

“The people who made them didn’t leave any written records. We’re left to archaeological data to try to reconstruct the context. The culture of the people who made them became extinct shortly after the Spanish conquest. So, there are no myths or legends or other stories that are told by the indigenous people of Costa Rica about why they made these spheres''.

They knew the AE had failed to please Our Past Basset Masters and tried by building them a billards table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Caveat emptor, but overall I enjoyed this book some 20yrs ago: Atlantis in America: Navigators of the Ancient World

This text presents evidence for a new theory that the great stone spheres of Costa Rica and sighting stones throughout the Pacific were used to teach sea routes and constellation paths to navigators of the ancient world. It reveals substantial links between Meso-America and Egypt and the Middle East.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Nobu said:

As an oil man. I can only tell you it would be tough. I’ve been in that area and it’s so desolate you cannot imagine. I am not a paleontologist or archeologist but I would think you would need a viable camp and water supply. It would be very expensive.

most people don’t know that the worlds largest oilfield isn’t in the Middle East. It’s actually in the middle of Australia. It’s shale so you need water to Frac. That’s the holdup. 

logistics. I imagine for persons in the other fields run up against logistics too. 

just me spitballing. I don’t know.

Thank you very much for the information and insight.

I could be wrong, but has this area always so barren or was there at one point some sort of grasslands and available water sources nearby that may have provided for a settlement? I'm out of my depth of expertise in this area, I'm just here to learn.

• Like 2

I know @Abramelinhas been talking at some length in his own thread about Doggerland and the movements of the peoples that inhabited those lands. I wonder if there was any connection between them and the people that are responsible for the initial building of Gobekli and Karahan Tepe.

It just seems like our ancestors during the end of the ice age, and coming out of  it were already fairly organized or at least understood the benefits of an organization to a group.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Thanos5150 said:

This text presents evidence for a new theory that the great stone spheres of Costa Rica and sighting stones throughout the Pacific were used to teach sea routes and constellation paths to navigators of the ancient world. It reveals substantial links between Meso-America and Egypt and the Middle East.

Interesting, but I see the two main problems in this theory:

1.The great stone spheres of Costa Rica are, as far as I know, found only in Costa Rica. If they were used to navigate in the whole Meso-America, why they were never found in the other places?

2. A big number of the great stone spheres of Costa Rica were first found buried in the ground. It is hard to believe they would be useful for any kind of navigation then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

2. A big number of the great stone spheres of Costa Rica were first found buried in the ground. It is hard to believe they would be useful for any kind of navigation then.

They were navigation-buoys floating in the ocean ... until they got fossilised because of the Atlantean flood.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Interesting, but I see the two main problems in this theory:

1.The great stone spheres of Costa Rica are, as far as I know, found only in Costa Rica. If they were used to navigate in the whole Meso-America, why they were never found in the other places?

I guess you'll have to read the book. 

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

They were navigation-buoys floating in the ocean ... until they got fossilised because of the Atlantean flood.

You have to sing to them to float. Vibrations and all that other good wooish new age stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Windowpane said:

They weigh a several tons. The scientists who studied them say the stone spheres are perfectly polished. Even with today's techniques it would be almost imposible achieve the same thing.

Edited by jethrofloyd

14 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

They weigh a several tons. The scientists who studied them say the stone spheres are perfectly polished. Even with today's techniques it would be almost imposible achieve the same thing.

Er why?  We have machines that could do it or plain old artists with a chisel and abrasives with a wooden frame to get the curve right. It is difficult but not impossible.

Here is a link to some REALLY difficult piece done in marble and in one piece.

https://www.irenebrination.com/irenebrination_notes_on_a/2020/05/san-severo-statues.html

6a00e55290e7c488330263ec17929c200c-800wi

His globe looks pretty good.The netting is incredible

6a00e55290e7c488330263e945deb0200b-800wi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Er why?  We have machines that could do it or plain old artists with a chisel and abrasives with a wooden frame to get the curve right. It is difficult but not impossible.

Here is a link to some REALLY difficult piece done in marble and in one piece.

https://www.irenebrination.com/irenebrination_notes_on_a/2020/05/san-severo-statues.html

6a00e55290e7c488330263ec17929c200c-800wi

His globe looks pretty good.The netting is incredible

6a00e55290e7c488330263e945deb0200b-800wi

Always been partial to the sarcophagi of Helena and Constantina800px-0_Sarcofago_di_Costantina_-_Museo_Pio-Clementino_-_Vatican_(1).jpeg.db4d4a58d470fb8e638e16a9658d644b.jpeg2105045117_Sarcofago_di_santelena_01_2.jpg.5bc9cc20382ced3bee3ae81ebda65e7e.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

The Costa Rica spheres are mentioned on this page (scroll down).

Archive detailed discussion (Fr.)

A discussion of measurements, and how they might have been misinterpreted:

Lothrop ... measured balls that were more completely exposed by taking up to five circumferences with a tape measure, from which he then calculated their diameters.  He writes, "Evidently, the larger balls were the product of the finest craftsmanship, and they were so nearly perfect that the tape and plumb-bob measurements of diameters did not reveal imperfections.  Therefore, we measured circumferences horizontally and, if possible, at a 45-degree upward slant toward the four cardinal points.  We did not usually ascertain the vertical circumference as the large balls were too heavy to move.  This procedure was not as easy as it sounds because several people had to hold the tape and all measurements had to be checked.  As the variation in diameters was too small to be detected by eye even with a plumb bob, the diameters have been computed mathematically".  The source of claims for precise measurements may stem from misinterpretations of Lothrop's tables, in which he presents the calculated diameters in meters to four decimal places.  However, these are mathematically calculated estimates, not direct measurements.  

Canadian spheres - " Unnaturally round rock spheres are perfectly natural."

And other examples worldwide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 6/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, Hanslune said:

3. Did Harte start the New Madrid earthquakes that led to a continent wide disaster while trying to dig a hole for his swimming pool?

He was about 200 years early. He could have flattened Memphis and clearly demonstrated his Godzilla like powers. 

• Haha 3

On 6/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, jethrofloyd said:

Whenever you come across this saying, you know it is BS.   Todays technics could do it better if someone wanted to.   That doesn't discredit what they did back then but it is fact. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 12:57 AM, Windowpane said:

The Costa Rica spheres are mentioned on this page (scroll down).

Archive detailed discussion (Fr.)

A discussion of measurements, and how they might have been misinterpreted:

Canadian spheres - " Unnaturally round rock spheres are perfectly natural."

And other examples worldwide.

Can you explain what the point is of conflating concretions without context, the natural spheres formed of sedimentary rock, with the artificial Costa Rican spheres most often made from igneous rock. Quoting from your own source:

"In his enthousiasm[sic], Mr. Osmanagic mixes in fact quite different phenomena, natural and artificial ones. Let’s begin with the spheres from Costa Rica. These ones are artificial,..."

"The origin of the Mexican spheres seems to be totally different. These are found in the region called Cerro Piedras Bola near Ahualulco del Mercado in Mexico. Their origin is confirmed by several American geological studies, and is linked with the volcanism of the region."

"Finally, there are, in numerous parts of the world, spheres of a third kind (and these are the most frequent), they are concretions that can be found in sedimentary layers, formed by the precipitation around a core (that can be a shell for instance) of calcite, silica, dolomite, hematite and so on." 

You are giving the false impression the Costa Rican spheres may be natural too yet no one is suggesting this, the least of which your own sources.  

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 4:18 PM, Trelane said:

It's not exactly a deserted area.  During Medieval times it had a wetter "climate and had a number of large cities that were visited by Europeans and people of North Africa.  (I debated with someone who kept insisting every blob they saw on Google Earth was a "monument" or "megalith" or "unexplained structure" left over from Atlantis.

The "walls" are actually not that tall, and (as I read in one travelogue) it's actually possible to drive through it and not realize you were there (because the rock isn't that high.)  It's dangerous primarily because of border tensions and it's a hostile environment.  However, there have been digs around there and you can find a number of cities that are a thousand years old or so.  

The pattern of streets (they grow organically) is the dead giveaway.  There's also some fortresses there of varying ages.

Lots of others chimed in on the thread: https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1239287/pg1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Does anyone have an educated guess as to where Alexander the Great's tomb might be located?

Somewhere around Alexandria, maybe Siwa but it was destroyed and one theory said his honey soaked body might of been stolen by  Venetian merchants thinking it was St. Marks and taken to Venice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1