Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real ancient mysteries (not Atlantis) that we need to discuss!

Hanslune

22 hours ago, fred_mc said:

What caused the bronze age collapse around 1200-1150 B.C.?

I recently read 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric Cline. 

Was a pretty good read and looked at the several possibilities for it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Piney said:

I always wondered if Odin was a Proto-Germanic shaman who went through a trial when the Battle Axe Culture who settled Scandinavia and mixed it up with the Funnelbeaker Culture.

You have ordered so much here in the one sentence Piney. Even Odin himself would not know who and what he is if he could read this. :D

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

22. What is written on the ancient Greek Phaistos disc?

Phaistos Disk Deciphered? Not Likely, Say Scholars - Biblical Archaeology  Society

Directions to Atlantis hahahaha :) I have no idea but it does look cool.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Phaistos Disk Deciphered? Not Likely, Say Scholars - Biblical Archaeology  Society

I think it's a Minoan board game.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Could it be the labyrinth with the Minotaur at the centre?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Could it be the labyrinth with the Minotaur at the centre?

I think more on the lines of Monopoly.

There's boxing gloves, bronze ingots, soldiers and what looks like a altar.

Maybe it was a man's "career choice" game. :)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Piney said:

A 1 year ago, a news was published saying the Phaistos disc was allegedly finally "99% decrypted". But, a question is how accurate it is.

Archaeologist Solves Mystery of the Phaistos Disc in Greece

“We are reading the Phaistos disc with the vocal values of Linear B and with the help of comparative linguistics, i.e. comparing with other relative languages from the Indo-European language family. Reading something, however, does not mean understanding.”

According to his data, the disc is a religious text to a “pregnant goddess” that takes shape in the face of Astarte, the goddess of love''.

https://greekreporter.com/2022/07/21/phaistos-disk-mystery-solved/

“There is no doubt that we are talking about a religious text,” Owens reveals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

A 1 year ago, a news was published saying the Phaistos disc was allegedly finally "99% decrypted". But, a question is how accurate it is.

“We are reading the Phaistos disc with the vocal values of Linear B and with the help of comparative linguistics, i.e. comparing with other relative languages from the Indo-European language family. Reading something, however, does not mean understanding.”

According to his data, the disc is a religious text to a “pregnant goddess” that takes shape in the face of Astarte, the goddess of love''.

5 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Looks like a language which has diagrams of things which are repeated 

41 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

It might of been used by a priestess to divine the future career of a member of the gentry. But most symbols are connected to something a male would do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

“Religious Text/Object” is literally the default “we have no idea what it is/does” explanation for anything though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 2:48 PM, Piney said:

I always wondered if Odin was a Proto-Germanic shaman who went through a trial when the Battle Axe Culture who settled Scandinavia and mixed it up with the Funnelbeaker Culture

Edited by Skirnum

3 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

23.What was the very first war in the world history?

About 200,000 years ago Harte marched into Europe with his army of pre-Proto-Hillbillies riding megafauna chickens and wiped out all the possums and chain pickerel. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

About 200,000 years ago Harte marched into Europe with his army of pre-Proto-Hillbillies riding megafauna chickens and wiped out all the possums and chain pickerel. 

And what was Hans doing during the time?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

An Ancient, Brutal Massacre May Be the Earliest Evidence of War

''Skulls smashed by blunt force, bodies pin-cushioned by projectile points and hapless victims—including a pregnant woman—abused with their hands bound before receiving the fatal coup de grâce.

This violent tableau resembles something from the darker side of modern warfare. But it instead describes the grizzly demise of a group of African hunter-gatherers some 10,000 years ago. They are the victims of the earliest scientifically dated evidence for human group conflict—a precursor to what we now know as war'.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

And what was Hans doing during the time?

Watching Oahu form so he could build a new surf bum hut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, cormac mac airt said:

What is your evidence that Northern Europeans became part of the Sea Peoples? 

cormac

Not evidence like DNA from those supposed to be part of the Sea Peoples (- did they ever find remnants of them? -)

It's about clues. Believe me, I have tried to find where I posted about part of the Sea Peoples coming from the mainland of Europe.

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Not evidence like DNA from those supposed to be part of the Sea Peoples (- did they ever find remnants of them? -)

It's about clues. Believe me, I have tried to find where I posted about part of the Sea Peoples coming from the mainland of Europe.

Last I heard the Sea Peoples were believed to be like the original Philistines, meaning they came from Mediterranean Europe and NOT Northern Europe. 

cormac

6 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Last I heard the Sea Peoples were believed to be like the original Philistines, meaning they came from Mediterranean Europe and NOT Northern Europe. 

cormac

Is that based on analysis of skeletal remains (dna)?

Btw., I found the thread I started 9 years ago:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/249093-what-happened-around-1200-bce/

On 7/28/2022 at 11:51 AM, Piney said:

That is very possible because the Minoans were in close contact with the Egyptians, and may have borrowed the idea of the spiral boardgame from them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehen_(game)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

An Ancient, Brutal Massacre May Be the Earliest Evidence of War

''Skulls smashed by blunt force, bodies pin-cushioned by projectile points and hapless victims—including a pregnant woman—abused with their hands bound before receiving the fatal coup de grâce.

This violent tableau resembles something from the darker side of modern warfare. But it instead describes the grizzly demise of a group of African hunter-gatherers some 10,000 years ago. They are the victims of the earliest scientifically dated evidence for human group conflict—a precursor to what we now know as war'.

Click bait nonsense to say this "May Be the Earliest Evidence of War". 

"Of a dozen relatively complete skeletons found near Kenya's Lake Turkana (in a group that included at least 27 individuals in total who had not been buried), 10 showed signs of violent, fatal injuries."

Wow. This is called "Friday" in Chicago. 

There certainly appears to be a "situation" that occurred which lead to a violent end, a "fight", but hardly the stuff of "war".   

2 minutes ago, Thanos5150 said:

Click bait nonsense to say this "May Be the Earliest Evidence of War". 

"Of a dozen relatively complete skeletons found near Kenya's Lake Turkana (in a group that included at least 27 individuals in total who had not been buried), 10 showed signs of violent, fatal injuries."

Wow. This is called "Friday" in Chicago. 

There certainly appears to be a "situation" that occurred which lead to a violent end, a "fight", but hardly the stuff of "war".   

Woah... It's called 'Friday" here in St. Joe, too. This can only mean we have been guided all along by Aliens.

23 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

You mean a war of which we have physical evidence?

I think the next one is quite ancient and with physical evidence:

link

• Thanks 1