Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real ancient mysteries (not Atlantis) that we need to discuss!

Hanslune

20. What is written on the Dighton Rock, and in what language is it written?

The 40-ton Dighton Rock near the Tauton River in Massachusettss is covered in mysterious glyphs, and people have been trying to speculate where it came from.

Unexplained-Mysteries-10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

The 40-ton Dighton Rock near the Tauton River in Massachusettss is covered in mysterious glyphs, and people have been trying to speculate where it came from.

Unexplained-Mysteries-10

Coastal Algonquian graffiti. Some of it post-contact.

And I'm not being sarcastic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Unexplained-Mysteries-10

It's a palimpsest - so you have to separate out the cultural groups (including modern Europeans and Americans) and their images and THEN you can start to unpack the meaning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It's a palimpsest - so you have to separate out the cultural groups (including modern Europeans and Americans) and their images and THEN you can start to unpack the meaning.

Let me heip....

Think gobbly good. ^_^

Hypotheses about the creation of the Dighton Rock markings include:

1. Indigenous peoples of North America - who were known to have inscribed petroglyphs in rocks (a schematic face on the Dighton Rock is similar to an Indian petroglyph in Eastern Vermont

2. Ancient Phoenicians - proposed in 1783 by Ezra Stiles in his "Election Sermon

3. Norse - proposed in 1837 by Carl Christian Rafn. Rejected by archaeologists such as T. D. Kendrick and Kenneth Feder

4. Portuguese - proposed in 1912 by Edmund B. Delabarre, who (after seeing Portuguese writing) believed that they then used the rock for their own inscriptions. Delabarre wrote that markings on the Dighton Rock suggest that Miguel Corte-Real reached New England. Delabarre stated that the markings were abbreviated Latin, and the message, translated into English, reads as follows: "I, Miguel Cortereal, 1511. In this place, by the will of God, I became a chief of the Indians. Hunter (2017) provides copious evidence and analysis debunking the Corte-Real origin myth

5. Chinese - proposed by Gavin Menzies in his 2002 book 1421: The Year China Discovered America

5 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Hypotheses about the creation of the Dighton Rock markings include:

1. Indigenous peoples of North America - who were known to have inscribed petroglyphs in rocks (a schematic face on the Dighton Rock is similar to an Indian petroglyph in Eastern Vermont

2. Ancient Phoenicians - proposed in 1783 by Ezra Stiles in his "Election Sermon

3. Norse - proposed in 1837 by Carl Christian Rafn. Rejected by archaeologists such as T. D. Kendrick and Kenneth Feder

4. Portuguese - proposed in 1912 by Edmund B. Delabarre, who (after seeing Portuguese writing) believed that they then used the rock for their own inscriptions. Delabarre wrote that markings on the Dighton Rock suggest that Miguel Corte-Real reached New England. Delabarre stated that the markings were abbreviated Latin, and the message, translated into English, reads as follows: "I, Miguel Cortereal, 1511. In this place, by the will of God, I became a chief of the Indians. Hunter (2017) provides copious evidence and analysis debunking the Corte-Real origin myth

5. Chinese - proposed by Gavin Menzies in his 2002 book 1421: The Year China Discovered America

Well, it's Indigenous and the crosses are from Christian influences or there was a Basque fish processing station nearby.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

or there was a Basque fish processing station nearby.

A Basque fish processing station was on the Atlantis at the time. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thanos5150 said:

Gobbledygook. 

That's what I said. Gooblygrok! :o

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Here’s an still 'Unknown hook object' found next to a Saxon skull. Anyone's guess to what it is?

main-qimg-c88a6cb6fc2b490c5cdbbe6297e78354-lq

A fish hook?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

A fish hook?

Maybe, but on the other hand, it also resembles a hooks for extracting of the brain. During the mummyfication process. In the  ancient Egypt.

Excerebration - Wikipedia

On 6/26/2022 at 6:52 AM, Piney said:

Bogus to the crystal bone.

They hold spirits.  Ask Dan Akroyd.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, jethrofloyd said:

18. Who are the Xinjiang mummies?

During the 1980s, chinese archeologists excavated round a hundred mummies inTarim Basin in western China. The oldest are up to 4000 years old, and unusually well preserved thanks to the area's cold and dry climate. To great surprise of a researchers, amummies wear overturned European features: blonde or reddish hair, long noses and deep-set eyes. DNA tests confirm that a mummies are of European descent. How they ended up in China, no one knows. But, archeologists believe they belonged to an unknown group of people who emigrated east from Europe.

Hi Jethro

Acouple of decades ago I read an article that suggested that they had gradually moved east following after wild horses to bring to the west.

• Like 1

Some things I've been wondering about:

* Was Odin originally a real person? (There are some ancient documents, King lists etc, which indicate that he might have been.)

* What languages were spoken in Europe before the Indo-Europeans/Yamnaya came from the east (in 3000-2500 B.C. ?). I'm in particular interested in what languages were spoken in northern Europe/Scandinavia.

* Who were fighting at the big battle at Tollense in present northern Germany around 1200-1300 B.C.? What were they fighting about?

* What caused the bronze age collapse around 1200-1150 B.C.?

6 hours ago, fred_mc said:

Some things I've been wondering about:

* Was Odin originally a real person? (There are some ancient documents, King lists etc, which indicate that he might have been.)

* What languages were spoken in Europe before the Indo-Europeans/Yamnaya came from the east (in 3000-2500 B.C. ?). I'm in particular interested in what languages were spoken in northern Europe/Scandinavia.

* Who were fighting at the big battle at Tollense in present northern Germany around 1200-1300 B.C.? What were they fighting about?

I always wondered if Odin was a Proto-Germanic shaman who went through a trial when the Battle Axe Culture who settled Scandinavia and mixed it up with the Funnelbeaker Culture.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fred_mc said:

An impact of a couple/swarm of comets in the Atlantic and the North Sea. Maybe the Baltic too.

I started a thread about that, many years ago.

Pernambuco, Brasil: the Panela crater field. Good luck googling that.

And that's from memory.

Anyway, people from Northern Europe went south after the North Sea got hit by an asteroid/comet.

And they became some of the Sea People that attacked Egypt.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

An impact of a couple/swarm of comets in the Atlantic and the North Sea. Maybe the Baltic too.

I started a thread about that, many years ago.

Pernambuco, Brasil: the Panela crater field. Good luck googling that.

And that's from memory.

Anyway, people from Northern Europe went south after the North Sea got hit by an asteroid/comet.

And they became some of the Sea People that attacked Egypt.

Cheers.

What is your evidence that Northern Europeans became part of the Sea Peoples? 

cormac