Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Before chickens became food for people, they were regarded as special exotica

Still Waters

There are more chickens than any other species of bird on the planet. With three chickens for every human being, they are a food staple for millions of people around the world. But new research shows chickens were domesticated only relatively recently and were once revered.

The question of where chickens come from and how humans have interacted with them over time has eluded us for decades, until now. For many people it is difficult to think of chickens as anything other than food. But two new studies are changing our understanding of human-chicken relationships.

https://theconversation.com/before-chickens-became-food-for-people-they-were-regarded-as-special-exotica-184582

• Thanks 3

I would guess they were a favorite for humans because of the plentiful eggs they would lay.   They do have personalities and some act as good pets.  

As soon as a human cooked one, Wow, it was all for food.

Big mushroom head on this c***, I'll say.

file-20220615-23-j1gma.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Big mushroom head on this c***, I'll say.

file-20220615-23-j1gma.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.

Which "C" word were you using?

I always thought it would be a good choice on a survival show like naked and Afraid where they can choose to bring one item from home.  Bring a hen.   Get 1 egg a day and a good chicken meal towards the end.   

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Which "C" word were you using?

I always thought it would be a good choice on a survival show like naked and Afraid where they can choose to bring one item from home.  Bring a hen.   Get 1 egg a day and a good chicken meal towards the end.   

It's short for cockerel.

Edited by Shooter McGavin
  • Like 1