Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you find that people try influencing your message board posts?

Nutrition Fact

I was once an artist and one the biggest factors to me ceasing my creative endeavors was that people I didn't know were constantly badgering me and trying to influence what I created, wanting to put their prints on my work so to speak.  This culminated in large frustration and the decision that it wasnt worth being tormented by someones who had no business whatsoever in the matter.  I found this same behavior was true of my message board participations.

One very intolerable thing was people would try to create problems for me in order to get me to post topics about what they were doing that I didnt like.  Im not a complainer and dont see much point in using message boards to try to fix issues in my personal life but here they were doing all that they could to try and veer the content that I posted into the direction they wanted.  I disallowed their influences and this went on hard for a few years.  Eventually their attack decreased enormously.  They thought that if they couldnt control my content they could silence me but guess what, they didnt win.

This same thing would happen when I was writing where random people, most likely actors or something, continuously tried to set me up in social sutuations or relay anecdotes to me hoping that something they said or did would somehow make it into a story or two.  I steadfastly refused and this only served to make their attacks worse.  Yet again, they didnt win.

Do you find that some folks, friends family or strangers or maybe coworkers, had secretly found that you post on message boards to pass the time and and has their behavior towards you changed in any way as a result of this, perhaps they tried influencing or tried manipulating you into posting different content?

I imagine this sort of thing was far worse for Twitter and Facebook users.

Edited by Nutrition Fact

On a related note, as a writer I avoided using names of people I knew as character names and this was a difficult task, but the logic was if they read it they would think it was about them in some way and one strict rule about my writing is that I never use people I know as the basis of my characters.  I would like to think theyd appreciate that sort of care.  But, you gotta use names, you cant write generic stories without character names or descriptions and ever hope to get anywhere with it.

Edited by Nutrition Fact

:)

squirrel-bye.gif

Edited by Nutrition Fact

5 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I was once an artist and one the biggest factors to me ceasing my creative endeavors was that people I didn't know were constantly badgering me and trying to influence what I created, wanting to put their prints on my work so to speak.  This culminated in large frustration and the decision that it wasnt worth being tormented by someones who had no business whatsoever in the matter.  I found this same behavior was true of my message board participations.

Right off the bat I have to ask, WHY?   Why would you let others determine how you feel about your art, yourself etc.   It is no one's business what you create (unless it harms someone) and there is no reason to blame others for your insecurity.     If you are truely an artist you will create your art how you see fit no matter what anyone else says.

To answer the question for myself that you ask in the title of your OP, yes and no.  Others on message boards and forums have influenced me in that I have learned to communicate more clearly, and I have learned when to not interact or respond to certain types of posts and what my trigger words are that send me into a non-thinking tirade if I am not paying attention.  

But as for influencing how I think, what I say or do, No.   This medium of communication is a very good place to learn how to express yourself clearly and how to ignore trolls and be able to tell the difference from someone who is helpful and someone who isn't.   Just the arguments themselves are good lessons on communication because they almost always stem from misunderstandings.  And then there is the trigger words, you want to examine your triggers post on a forum (any forum will do, as there are always people who want to fight, denigrate, etc) so you will get triggered.  The trick is to recognize that you are the one with the problem and have misunderstood someone because they used one of your trigger words.

You  need to set your  boundaries and get clear in your own head who is driving the boat, don't let others or even pretend like they can, influence you to not do what you want to do.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right off the bat I have to ask, WHY?   Why would you let others determine how you feel about your art, yourself etc.   It is no one's business what you create (unless it harms someone) and there is no reason to blame others for your insecurity.     If you are truely an artist you will create your art how you see fit no matter what anyone else says.

To answer the question for myself that you ask in the title of your OP, yes and no.  Others on message boards and forums have influenced me in that I have learned to communicate more clearly, and I have learned when to not interact or respond to certain types of posts and what my trigger words are that send me into a non-thinking tirade if I am not paying attention.  

But as for influencing how I think, what I say or do, No.   This medium of communication is a very good place to learn how to express yourself clearly and how to ignore trolls and be able to tell the difference from someone who is helpful and someone who isn't.   Just the arguments themselves are good lessons on communication because they almost always stem from misunderstandings.  And then there is the trigger words, you want to examine your triggers post on a forum (any forum will do, as there are always people who want to fight, denigrate, etc) so you will get triggered.  The trick is to recognize that you are the one with the problem and have misunderstood someone because they used one of your trigger words.

You  need to set your  boundaries and get clear in your own head who is driving the boat, don't let others or even pretend like they can, influence you to not do what you want to do.

I didn't let them. And my creations werent about feelings, leave that to the girls thank you very much.

Its all over now so Im happy to have ditched the ****.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you have a skill in art, never lose it. You don't have to share any of it. 

Its almost impossible to keep the invasive strangers from finding a way to access your creations so you can keep them to yourself.  This would require a very private and secure residence with a private studio and not very many young artists can afford that.  I almost feel for these newer artists but then realized all the real talent took a jump overboard years ago and whats filling in the blanks is something else entirely.

2 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I didn't let them. And my creations werent about feelings, leave that to the girls thank you very much.

Its all over now so Im happy to have ditched the ****.

Really?  And do you accept that you are in a human body?   That all humans have feelings?   Or are you going to pretend like you are an alien.   And that comment "leave that to the girls"  is aboslutely idiotic and so 4th grade.   You really are insecure and defensive.   

31 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I was once an artist and one the biggest factors to me ceasing my creative endeavors was that people I didn't know were constantly badgering me and trying to influence what I created,

So what is this thread really about?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Its almost impossible to keep the invasive strangers from finding a way to access your creations so you can keep them to yourself.  This would require a very private and secure residence with a private studio and not very many young artists can afford that.  I almost feel for these newer artists but then realized all the real talent took a jump overboard years ago and whats filling in the blanks is something else entirely.

I don't know your situation, but I've got sketch books filled with stuff from over the years. Sorry I can not be of more help. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

More excuses for your insecurities.  I know a lot of very successful artists, some even support themselves with their art, some have to have a job to support themselves but that does not stop them from creating.   I suspect you know you aren't really an artist or writer.

• Like 2

I will repeat the post since you people obviously have a cognitive disorder that disallows you to read a few paragraphs and understand what was written:

1 hour ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Do you find that some folks, friends family or strangers or maybe coworkers, had secretly found that you post on message boards to pass the time and has their behavior towards you changed in any way as a result of this, perhaps they tried influencing or tried manipulating you into posting different content?

I deleted the personal example, this isnt about me, I dont need help, I am asking others to relate their similar experiences for reference and comparison.

Edited by Nutrition Fact

One more point I'd like to make is that anyone can post on the message board, why manipulate you when they can start their own account?

1 hour ago, Nutrition Fact said:

One more point I'd like to make is that anyone can post on the message board, why manipulate you when they can start their own account?

You cant be manipulated if you dont let them

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

You cant be manipulated if you dont let them

That depends on where you live.

Nobody wants to comment on this very prevailent trouble, theyre biting their tongues.

• Haha 2

Just now, Nutrition Fact said:

That depends on where you live.

no it doesnt.... And if you say it can... prove it and explain it.,

You sound like someone that bully someone just because you are afraid to be bullied yourself...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Nobody wants to comment on this very prevailent trouble, theyre biting their tongues.

What problem? UM has an ignore function. 

• Like 1

I'll swallow a bullet shell for you... 

: Kurt 

BRAl7qQCQAE20Ma.jpg:large

~

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Hi NFact

This is the only social media that I interact with people so not sure how you feel that people are attacking you. We have lots of heated arguments going on here all the time and for me have both watched and argued with the same people for more than a decade and here we are still razing each other, thin skin and a sharp tongue will only bring you grief.

Do you find that people try influencing your message board posts, in reality when you're not using the internet?

Okay... my head hurts...

• Like 1

Well I could always say this:

"These contemporary artists of the last 20 years are the greatest artists of all time.  These undisputable classics they record year after year are so far beyond anything recorded before them in the 20th century that I cant imagine ever going back to listen to thise sacks of feces that made records before them.  I mean, theres no comparison at all.  These guys making music these days are heads and shoulders above those butches of the 20th century.  Those now irrelevant artists could learn a thing or two about todays greatest hits, they couldnt compare in a thousand years.  I suggest these grand geniuses of ultimate sound recording help teach us lacking folk the secrets to their soundcraft so that the quality of their greatness doesn't die over time.  These contemporary artists are the grand ultimate hitmakers of any era and they should be proud of their unequalled accomplishments."

Edited by Nutrition Fact
  • Confused 1