Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you find that people try influencing your message board posts?

Nutrition Fact

As an author/ photographer unless I’m directly hired to write on a specific subject or shoot a specific theme then people don’t have the right to dictate what I do for my art of choice.

of courde there are guidelines I have to follow if I’m selling a short to a magazine or anthology but those are terms I’ve agreed to. Now there are community guidelines here for posting items, if you go against them you could get said post deleted, get banned, or whatever.

For the sake of creating art than create it for yourself first.

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I was once an artist and one the biggest factors to me ceasing my creative endeavors

I aint a psychiatrist, nor a psychologist, but this is my advice: You would do well to stay away from social media - such as, for example, forums like this.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, newbloodmoon said:

As an author/ photographer unless I’m directly hired to write on a specific subject or shoot a specific theme then people don’t have the right to dictate what I do for my art of choice.

of courde there are guidelines I have to follow if I’m selling a short to a magazine or anthology but those are terms I’ve agreed to. Now there are community guidelines here for posting items, if you go against them you could get said post deleted, get banned, or whatever.

For the sake of creating art than create it for yourself first.

Nothing can be more accurate my friend, in fact most people don’t realize it but considering yourself first is something that can be applied to many other parts of one’s life also!

Great post, thanks very much!:tu:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I was once an artist and one the biggest factors to me ceasing my creative endeavors was that people I didn't know were constantly badgering me and trying to influence what I created, wanting to put their prints on my work so to speak.  This culminated in large frustration and the decision that it wasnt worth being tormented by someones who had no business whatsoever in the matter.  I found this same behavior was true of my message board participations.

One very intolerable thing was people would try to create problems for me in order to get me to post topics about what they were doing that I didnt like.  Im not a complainer and dont see much point in using message boards to try to fix issues in my personal life but here they were doing all that they could to try and veer the content that I posted into the direction they wanted.  I disallowed their influences and this went on hard for a few years.  Eventually their attack decreased enormously.  They thought that if they couldnt control my content they could silence me but guess what, they didnt win.

This same thing would happen when I was writing where random people, most likely actors or something, continuously tried to set me up in social sutuations or relay anecdotes to me hoping that something they said or did would somehow make it into a story or two.  I steadfastly refused and this only served to make their attacks worse.  Yet again, they didnt win.

Do you find that some folks, friends family or strangers or maybe coworkers, had secretly found that you post on message boards to pass the time and and has their behavior towards you changed in any way as a result of this, perhaps they tried influencing or tried manipulating you into posting different content?

I imagine this sort of thing was far worse for Twitter and Facebook users.

Yes there are some forum members who will try to influence your opinion and ideas here on the forum. While, I would never allow someone to do that to me, there are some who allow it to occur. Based upon what I believe there are 3 types of people, but even with said there is also overlap of these types. But the basics are as follows: 

1. Leader

2. Follow

3. Get out of the way

Like I said above these personality traits can also overlap, but these are the basic traits.

JIMHO

• Like 1

Well, when people suddenly act like that you get an  unsettling feeling to say the least and suddenly every interaction with them seems pretty damn disgenuine.  Better off without that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Do you find that people try influencing your message board posts, in reality when you're not using the internet?

Only when a moderator decided to edit something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Only when a moderator decided to edit something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators don't edit posts to change what someone is trying to say; if a post is edited it's to snip out something unsuitable or to fix a formatting issue.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I was once an artist and one the biggest factors to me ceasing my creative endeavors was that people I didn't know were constantly badgering me and trying to influence what I created, wanting to put their prints on my work so to speak. 

So, let me get this straight...

You were an artist.  And you stopped being an artist because people criticized your work.  Okay....

...now that we have all that cleared up...

It's what people do.  Get over yourself and be yourself...it doesn't matter what you create...people will have opinions about it.  You are complaining actually.  Stop complaining.  Start being yourself...

To put it in the Legendary Words of Jimi Hendrix...I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to!

• Like 4

A true artist doesn't quit. Some people are narcissists who thrive on attention, any kind of attention, positive or negative. A newbie isn't on anyone's radar and no one is much concerned about their "art" that they'd tried to influence it. It's also true that some people are so spectacularly bad and sensitive, that they can't take constructive criticism anywhere but on the chin. It takes a pretty weak-willed individual to be intimidated, so easily by the criticism of others. They need to grow a pair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Saru said:

Moderators don't edit posts to change what someone is trying to say; if a post is edited it's to snip out something unsuitable or to fix a formatting issue.

Honestly I have no idea what the OP is trying to get at. I know that post on here do change, but no clue what their deal is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Some people are narcissists who thrive on attention, any kind of attention, positive or negative.

True that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Honestly I have no idea what the OP is trying to get at. I know that post on here do change, but no clue what their deal is.

When someone says...I'm not complaining...but....

Everything else after that is complaining.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes I feel that perhaps the OP could summarize their thought processes behind the topic and what sort of answers they are looking for.

• Like 3

If one puts anything out in a public forum, be it real or virtual, people are going have opinions about it. If one can't take that kind of honesty, one should hide one's art in some dark place so no one can see it.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Saru said:

Yes I feel that perhaps the OP could summarize their thought processes behind the topic and what sort of answers they are looking for.

I'm probably assuming, but I wonder if it's about art criticism. Are they posted something that was against a site's rules.

I Don't know.

10 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Well I could always say this:

"These contemporary artists of the last 20 years are the greatest artists of all time.  These undisputable classics they record year after year are so far beyond anything recorded before them in the 20th century that I cant imagine ever going back to listen to thise sacks of feces that made records before them.  I mean, theres no comparison at all.  These guys making music these days are heads and shoulders above those butches of the 20th century.  Those now irrelevant artists could learn a thing or two about todays greatest hits, they couldnt compare in a thousand years.  I suggest these grand geniuses of ultimate sound recording help teach us lacking folk the secrets to their soundcraft so that the quality of their greatness doesn't die over time.  These contemporary artists are the grand ultimate hitmakers of any era and they should be proud of their unequalled accomplishments."

Hi NFact

How old are you, I have enjoyed the talent of thousands of artists of varying kinds over more than the last several decades and see that you are being the critic you complain about.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, Nutrition Fact said:

Its almost impossible to keep the invasive strangers from finding a way to access your creations so you can keep them to yourself.  This would require a very private and secure residence with a private studio and not very many young artists can afford that.  I almost feel for these newer artists but then realized all the real talent took a jump overboard years ago and whats filling in the blanks is something else entirely.

um... what?

I'm a private and commercial artist working on my own stuff, commissioned works and as a member of various crews in the IATSE 44 local, building film and television and broadway props and scenery for 30 years now.  One of the great aspects of being an artist is having control and influence directly over the final product.  (if a proposed project runs antithetical to my process... i simply reject the commission) 

You seem incredibly sensitive to suggestions and sidereal interest in your projects.  One way to minimize your sensitivity to feeling pressured would be to not talk openly about your projects until finished.  You cannot expect people to not hear about something and innately want to add their commentary.  It's the nature of conversation and communicating, to contribute.  Doesn't mean you have to listen or adopt what is offered or shared.

We each experience reality from the center of our own awareness.  As artists, we are fortunate to make our living, working from this zone and then, often, exploring and reaching out, collaborating.  Over the years, my collaborative work has blossomed in value, and joy.

You seem like a solo artist so I'd say, embrace that fully and perhaps, don't share what you're working on, if you don't want opinions.  I mean, once your work is done, you realize it's no longer yours right?  It now belongs to everyone who will ever interact with it and their take on it will be as viable and real as the one you held in its creation, no matter how diverse.

Once done, it is no longer your baby, unless you never publish.

I have myriad pieces I never publish and share with no one, or a select few.

Every single person that posted on my topic didnt answer the question and drifted the subject matter.  I'm not reading off topic posts or shrink sh.t

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Every single person that posted on my topic didnt answer the question and drifted the subject matter.  I'm not reading off topic posts or shrink sh.t

Your question?  What was your question?   I answered it but if you want a more succinct answer then, No, no one has ever influenced me about what I post or read online.  

Like someone said early on, this is a waste of space and time, but yet here I am reading your silly posts.  That is on me.  Now  for you, what kind of attention do you really want?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

What was the actual question? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What was the actual question? 

Actual question:         Do you find that people try influencing your message board posts?

No I don’t.  I find that they sometimes agree, or disagree, or try to influence my thinking.  .thank goodness :tu:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Do you find that people try influencing your message board posts?

I think saru and I had a discussion on that. I still don't know what exactly is meant. But, it's like whatever man.

• Like 1

I don’t quite  get it  either  :P

• Like 2

Straight up, people always influence each other whether they want to or not.  The more committed someone is to changing your opinion, likely the worse and less subtle they will become at it, and the more resentment they will raise in you and others.  Unless one is something of an intellectual milk-sop, or teenager who is scared of peer pressure, you will have the spine necessary to stand your ground.

• Like 2

This thread should be closed for want of any reason to exist. It's like a Star Trek extra in a red shirt in the opening sequence. As the good doctor would say:

"He's dead, Jim."

• Haha 4