Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could deepfakes lead to an epidemic of digital crime ?

UM-Bot

Having viewed probably a half-dozen deepfake video clips I am both impressed and deeply disturbed as to how this could misused to mislead unsuspecting individuals on political issues, pranks, "shaming" and even rapid-fire extortion. The latter meaning I could deepfake an 'affair' and demand money NOW, before the scam victim (wife or husband, etc.) could find out the clip sent is fabricated.

The technology itself is very cool though.

2 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Edited by simplybill

Every tool can be used for its intended use and benefit, or as a weapon, or tool of mischief.

Every tool comes with the 'tool-maker/user' mammalian tendencies woven into its very fabric.

C'est la vie.

Cybergamers lost in fantasyland will be the new empty pods, expendable and not missed much. The ones worst affected will be the hardcore RVers, the warcraft types (been playing 30 years man, Im level 20,000 and havent been outside for years)

People who use the internet in a secondary and noncritical manner should be safest.

Edited by Nutrition Fact

16 hours ago, pallidin said:

Having viewed probably a half-dozen deepfake video clips I am both impressed and deeply disturbed as to how this could misused to mislead unsuspecting individuals on political issues, pranks, "shaming" and even rapid-fire extortion. The latter meaning I could deepfake an 'affair' and demand money NOW, before the scam victim (wife or husband, etc.) could find out the clip sent is fabricated.

The technology itself is very cool though.

Deepfake tech will keep getting better.

I think that the distinguishing factor will be that it is extremely hard to deepfake something and then retrospectively claim that it came from a certain device.

It’s possible, but difficult.