Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The gruesome mystery of the Dartmoor pony massacre

The sight of ponies grazing on the moor is one of Dartmoor's most iconic features. The hardy creatures have been part of the landscape for centuries.

But imagine taking an afternoon stroll, and finding a herd of ponies relaxing on the moorland. Only to discover they weren't sleeping at all, but were in fact, all dead.

It was April 1977 when Alan Hicks, his wife and their two children decided to take an innocent stroll at Hollowcombe Bottom, near Postbridge. But the family day out took a horrifying turn when they discovered not just one, but 15, dead Dartmoor ponies, lying in a twisted, bloody mess.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/the-gruesome-mystery-of-the-dartmoor-pony-massacre/ar-AAYSjPO?

• Sad 4

Hmm. I wonder if the bodies were all close together or spread out. My first thought was that they were all in a close huddle and something heavy had driven into them. It would be a long job(almost impossible), to grab one at a time and kill it. As soon as one was killed the others would all take off at speed.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

The Beast of Dartmoor probably killed them.

I'd have a guess at lightning being the killer and scavengers being responsible for the bloody mess.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I'd have a guess at lightning being the killer and scavengers being responsible for the bloody mess.

That's what I thought too.

Btw., I read the story here because the MSN link didn't work (I installed a new adblocker for FF).

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

A couple of escaped very large/strong dogs could have killed them.

If it was lightning, wouldn't there be burn marks on the ponies and on the ground?

Also, if something had frightened the herd and caused them to bolt, it's possible that in their blind panic they fell over something steep(a waterfall is mentioned in the article), which could explain the broken necks and spines. :cry:

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 3

It was the Hound of the Baskervilles.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hail storm. There is a mountain pass in the Himalayas where thousands of human bones were found in a lake. It was a well used pass for trading and festivals and also known for intense storms. Large hailstones have been known to take out herds of cattle, and on Dartmoor there are no trees or places to take shelter. Imagine these poor ponies bombarded while standing, and once down continuing to be pelted with large hailstones.  Once the storm dissipated and the hailstones melted, it would look like a massacre took place. 

• Like 2

What a relief! I thought this was about PlayStation fans! :w00t:

• Haha 2