Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Metal detectorists admit taking item from Iron Age Fort

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Two men have been sentenced for illegal metal detecting at the capital of an ancient Scottish kingdom.

Andrejs Grisulis, 35, and Matthew Madden, 55, damaged a historic monument and removed an artefact at Dunadd Fort in Argyll's historic Kilmartin Glen.

The fort is reputed to have been the power base of Gaelic kings of the kingdom of Dál Riata.

The pair, who had previously admitted heritage offences at Dunoon Sheriff Court, were ordered to carry out 80 hours unpaid work and placed under supervision for six months.

A requirement of their sentence was that they do not enter any site owned and managed by Historic Environment Scotland (HES) for a period of two years.

The court also granted permission for the metal detecting equipment to be forfeited.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-61923527

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Puts me in mind of that chap taking artifacts away from that site in Iraq. People who should know better.

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 4

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
29 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Puts me in mind of that chap taking artifacts away from that site in Iraq. People who should know better.

I was thinking about him too. What struck me was the difference in punishment between the two cases. These chaps should be thankful they were in Britain.

• Like 5