Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany Opens Its Doors to International Workers to Fill Staff Shortages.

L.A.T.1961

Authorities in Germany have announced that they will permit entry for workers from other countries in order to fill in the gap noted at the country’s airports.

The Coronavirus situation has caused profound damage to many industries, including air travel. Besides, staff shortages have been among the main problems for airport operators in all European countries, including Germany.

Photos of passengers waiting in long lines at Dusseldorf airport earlier this week brought into light the staff shortage, which has caused chaos during the summer holiday season.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/germany-opens-its-doors-to-international-workers-to-fill-staff-shortages-at-countrys-airports/

• Thanks 1

I traveled through Turkey getting by on German because there were so many foreign workers in Germany even 20 years  ago.

• Like 1

Even here in America we have a staffing shortage for low wage and restaurant jobs to the point that some restaurants are forced to cut the hours they are open near me. Could immigrants from poorer countries glad and willing to work for these wages be a win/win?

• Like 2

In the UK we discourage foreign workers and are reluctant to issue visas unless they can take jobs requiring"A" Levels (higher school certificates) or above. Our industry, fishing, farming, and social care have all been pleading to be allowed to recruit as they used to but are getting nowhere due to our new immigration policy. 

Brexit ‘completely’ to blame for airport chaos, says Ryanair boss | The Independent

Harriett Baldwin questions Government on seasonal agricultural workers numbers | Harriett Baldwin MP - Member of Parliament for West Worcestershire

PM asked to act on workers’ visas by “frightened” farmers - Committees - UK Parliament

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Could immigrants from poorer countries glad and willing to work for these wages be a win/win?

Not really. It could help out temporary until those immigrants realise they cannot buy anything for their pay, they cannot afford an appartment.... Then they will look into other posibilities, even crime, because their dreams of a normal and good life are shattered. Then they will end up forcibly into ghetos, called names like lazy immigrants, rapists, criminals..... Wouldn't it be better for everyone, a real win win, to pay a livable minimum wage? 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, odas said:

Wouldn't it be better for everyone, a real win win, to pay a livable minimum wage? 

Seems like a balance has to be found. If restaurants have to increase prices, then people will eat out less and restaurants will have to lay off workers. And fast food and restaurant jobs were never really intended by society to be head-of-household type jobs either.

But right now, I would agree wages need to go up some to increase the number of willing workers and to increase worker retention.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odas said:

Wouldn't it be better for everyone, a real win win, to pay a livable minimum wage? 

No such thing. All you're going to do is to increase the cost of goods and services and then they're right back where they started.

I have posted on here several times that the federal poverty level keeps pace with minimum wage. Increase minimum wage and the poverty level stays right with it and there are decades of statistics on it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, odas said:

Not really. It could help out temporary until those immigrants realise they cannot buy anything for their pay, they cannot afford an appartment.... Then they will look into other posibilities, even crime, because their dreams of a normal and good life are shattered. Then they will end up forcibly into ghetos, called names like lazy immigrants, rapists, criminals..... Wouldn't it be better for everyone, a real win win, to pay a livable minimum wage? 

If they are committing crimes, it is not wrong to call them criminals.  

But I agree, it is a short term temporary fix that won't last.   It all depends on the jobs.  If an immigrant thinks they should be able to afford an apartment and all that is needed to survive well on a dishwasher's salary, they need to be informed that it doesn't happen here.  It could work if multiple members of their family are working similar jobs

10 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Seems like a balance has to be found. If restaurants have to increase prices, then people will eat out less and restaurants will have to lay off workers. And fast food and restaurant jobs were never really intended by society to be head-of-household type jobs either.

But right now, I would agree wages need to go up some to increase the number of willing workers and to increase worker retention.

This is worth reading regarding minimum wage, especially when it comes to USA.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/robertreich.org/post/688269074971672576/amp

I know that prices will go up when wages are rising, but not even close to what some want us to believe.  My company increased our wages by on average 10% in the last two years but the price of our products increased by about 0.2%. We are expecting another wage increase of about 5 to 7 % late this year to conpensate for the inflation but the cost of our product is expected to rise only 0.1%.

Just think about that if you increase the wage for 1 dollar per hour, there is apsolutely no justification to increase the cost of one single hamburger by 1 dollar too. That is ludacris.

10 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

And fast food and restaurant jobs were never really intended by society to be head-of-household type jobs either.

that is correct.  

4 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

No such thing. All you're going to do is to increase the cost of goods and services and then they're right back where they started.

There is a risk but an indexed minimum wage is less likely to stoke inflation at times without separate and significant inflationary pressures. 
So I don't think its a good idea for today. But worth having in the economic tool box. 

Tax cuts, increase in the level when tax becomes payable, might be a better way to help with the cost of living. 

The only real way to stifle inflation is recession, with more out of work and competing for jobs. 

It cools the demand for things as folks don't buy and employers can find employees easier and cheaper. 

But its a blunt instrument and will not win your incumbent Gov any extra votes.

Or any votes at all. 

The saying its the economy stupid still holds true for voters come election time. 

4 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I have posted on here several times that the federal poverty level keeps pace with minimum wage. Increase minimum wage and the poverty level stays right with it and there are decades of statistics on it.

Depends on the aproach.

For example: minimum wage in Ontario Canada is 15$/h. A Mcdonalds combo is on average 11$.

In Michigan USA minimum wage is just under 10$ and the average price of a combo is just over 10$. Can't even afford to buy a combo at the place they work for an hour.

21 minutes ago, odas said:

Depends on the aproach.

For example: minimum wage in Ontario Canada is 15$/h. A Mcdonalds combo is on average 11$.

In Michigan USA minimum wage is just under 10$ and the average price of a combo is just over 10$. Can't even afford to buy a combo at the place they work for an hour.

There is a minimum wage but good luck trying to find someone to work for that. Not even on a short trial basis. It's been that way for as long as I can remember and I was raised in the restaurant business.

How much does a Mcdonalds Restaurant make in Tennessee?

As of Jun 21, 2022, the average annual pay for a Mcdonalds Restaurant in Tennessee is $42,714 a year. Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $20.54 an hour. This is the equivalent of $821/week or $3,560/month.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Mcdonalds-Restaurant-Salary--in-Tennessee#:~:text=As of Jun 21%2C 2022,%2Fweek or %243%2C560%2Fmonth.

1 minute ago, odas said:

Depends on the aproach.

Historically in the U.S. if you are on minimum wage you are below the poverty level. The government sets the poverty level.

https://www.thebalance.com/federal-poverty-level-definition-guidelines-chart-3305843

Agencies help families who earn more than the federal poverty level. For example, some programs offer subsidies to families whose income is 150% of the federal poverty level. For a household of four in 2022, that would be $41,625 (1.5 x $27,750).

Even at $15 dollars an hour for a 40 hour week, which is $31,200 dollars a year, a family of four would still qualify for federal benefits.

How many 40 hour a week minimum wage jobs do you think there are? Well the answer to that is very few.

Wal-Mart for example considers full time at 34 hours a week. Wal-Mart also keeps the number of full-time employee's at a lower level than what they consider part time because then they have to pay for health care and other benefits. Wal-Mart has said that they are moving more to full-time but I guess we'll see.

I'm using Wal-Mart as an example for hours worked as Wal-Mart will usually pay more than minimum but not much more.

18 minutes ago, Michelle said:

There is a minimum wage but good luck trying to find someone to work for that. Not even on a short trial basis. It's been that way for as long as I can remember and I was raised in the restaurant business.

How much does a Mcdonalds Restaurant make in Tennessee?

As of Jun 21, 2022, the average annual pay for a Mcdonalds Restaurant in Tennessee is $42,714 a year. Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $20.54 an hour. This is the equivalent of $821/week or $3,560/month.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Mcdonalds-Restaurant-Salary--in-Tennessee#:~:text=As of Jun 21%2C 2022,%2Fweek or %243%2C560%2Fmonth.

And that is good so. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited to add: Average full time employee salary at McDonalds Canada is  $51,000/Can/year.

Edited by odas

1 hour ago, odas said:

This is worth reading regarding minimum wage, especially when it comes to USA.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/robertreich.org/post/688269074971672576/amp

I know that prices will go up when wages are rising, but not even close to what some want us to believe.  My company increased our wages by on average 10% in the last two years but the price of our products increased by about 0.2%. We are expecting another wage increase of about 5 to 7 % late this year to conpensate for the inflation but the cost of our product is expected to rise only 0.1%.

Just think about that if you increase the wage for 1 dollar per hour, there is apsolutely no justification to increase the cost of one single hamburger by 1 dollar too. That is ludacris.

Wages going up is an excuse for companies to put prices up. Their shareholders need to make tens if not 100s of millions of dollars a year in share or what ever. 

• Like 1