Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Slender Man' attacker seeks conditional release

UM-Bot

Guest Xetan

There is an awful lot of change that happens between 12 and 20... maybe people in situations like this should be given another chance.

42 minutes ago, Xetan said:

There is an awful lot of change that happens between 12 and 20... maybe people in situations like this should be given another chance.

There can be a lot of change. I think in the case of Weier it was proven to be so. She was secondary in the case and was evaluated and released. Geyser as the principal in the case I think warrants a more through review to be sure she really is safe to be allowed back in public. If she is, I hope her conditions are at least as stringent as Weiers are. 

• Thanks 4

Poor misguided kids lets give them another chance, hum, did their victim recover?

Im not as jaded cold snide as that sounds but close, a lot of 12yos subscribe to flights of fantasy but most do not take it to the extreme of plotting to kill and trying to carry it out, very few do.

So the ones who do have messed up wiring and do need to be watched very well, a loon telling me they are well now doesnt really make me jump to they are no danger to anyone.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding in even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale…emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil."     

- Dr. Samuel Loomis,

Chief Clinical Psychiatrist, Smith's Grove Sanitarium

All joking aside, I've seen the complete opposite  where the child is irreparably damaged.  But I agree that there should be a comprehensive evaluation made before any decision is made.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does the victim get a second chance at their life? If not, then neither should they. Keep them locked up for the good of everyone else. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Trelane said:

"I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding in even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale…emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil."     

- Dr. Samuel Loomis,

Chief Clinical Psychiatrist, Smith's Grove Sanitarium

All joking aside, I've seen the complete opposite  where the child is irreparably damaged.  But I agree that there should be a comprehensive evaluation made before any decision is made.

I just love that one, its sadly not a joke those type monsters are real, not immortal but real.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Does the victim get a second chance at their life? If not, then neither should they. Keep them locked up for the good of everyone else. 

Yeah, that one always bugs me, i am not bloodthirsty and wouldn't serve on a death sentance trial but i cant see why a killer can go free later on, sure ive heard the reasons the excuses and they dont wash with me,

Normal 12yos do not plot and try to carry out murder schemes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yeah, that one always bugs me, i am not bloodthirsty and wouldn't serve on a death sentance trial but i cant see why a killer can go free later on, sure ive heard the reasons the excuses and they dont wash with me,

Normal 12yos do not plot and try to carry out murder schemes.

I have no problem morally with jagoffs like Bundy or Gacy getting offed; my moral issue is with mistakes made by the justice system which cannot be undone, which is why I could never serve on a death sentence jury either.

Edited by Resume
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Resume said:

I have no problem morally with jagoffs like Bundy or Gacy getting offed; my moral issue is with mistakes made by the justice system which cannot be undone, which is why I could never serve on a death sentence jury either.

My problem with ones like bundy or gacy where we have mountains of proof they did the deeds no reason to drag things out for decades.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

My problem with ones like bundy or gacy where we have mountains of proof they did the deeds no reason to drag things out for decades.

I wanted them to have all their appeals; the justice system moved very slowly in their cases, but it worked.

• Like 1

This here is why I'm glad I didn't publish any horror stories or suggestive stories that might influence copycats like this to do terrible things. You can't blame me, point it at someone else.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Xetan said:

She lived.

Traumatized for life?

• Sad 1

Not mental illness, just dumb tweener making dumb tweener decisions. Thankfully no one was harmed and at least there were some consequences, hopefully the 2 perps grow up to be better adults. 

10 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Not mental illness, just dumb tweener making dumb tweener decisions. Thankfully no one was harmed and at least there were some consequences, hopefully the 2 perps grow up to be better adults. 

Someone was most definitely harmed..........With sharp implements. 

Edited by Gumball
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Stabbed 19 times, left for dead, hospitalized, and scarred for life isn't considered harm in your book? And considering a fictional creepy pasta character so real that taking months to plan a sacrifice and try to commit the sacrifice for the fictional character is not mental illness to you either? Did you know that Geyser has been diagnosed with  early onset schizophrenia?

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, rashore said:

Stabbed 19 times, left for dead, hospitalized, and scarred for life isn't considered harm in your book? And considering a fictional creepy pasta character so real that taking months to plan a sacrifice and try to commit the sacrifice for the fictional character is not mental illness to you either? Did you know that Geyser has been diagnosed with  early onset schizophrenia?

Perhapd if they stabbed his/her kid 19 times leaving them for dead they might see it a bit differently but sadly probably not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I always found myself empathizing with everyone involved in this case. Obviously both girls were responsible for their own actions, but I also can't disregard they were both suffering from major untreated mental illness. I could never see them as inherently evil or monstrous like a Bundy or Zodiac.

Personally I feel if both of them are mentally well and have a system in place for supervision and support moving forward, they deserve a second chance at life. I imagine I'd probably feel differently if the victim hadn't survived the attack.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, bookwormwen said:

I always found myself empathizing with everyone involved in this case. Obviously both girls were responsible for their own actions, but I also can't disregard they were both suffering from major untreated mental illness. I could never see them as inherently evil or monstrous like a Bundy or Zodiac.

Personally I feel if both of them are mentally well and have a system in place for supervision and support moving forward, they deserve a second chance at life. I imagine I'd probably feel differently if the victim hadn't survived the attack.

Okay so young mentally ill killer girls deserve a second chance old mentally ill killer men, not so much so.

The victim survived scared for life in more ways than one, what if the victim was you child.

The victim didnt survive because they changed their minds but rather because the killers failed,

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Okay so young mentally ill killer girls deserve a second chance old mentally ill killer men, not so much so.

The victim survived scared for life in more ways than one, what if the victim was you child.

The victim didnt survive because they changed their minds but rather because the killers failed,

I respect your opinion on the matter. The horrific damage that they caused shouldn't be forgotten or ignored, nor should the fact that their intent was to kill. This case always makes me question how we should punish intent in relation to action and outcome.

I do think that a middle school student and a fully grown adult have somewhat different grasps on the severity of their actions, morality, and the border between reality and fantasy. I want to be clear that I'm NOT saying they're 100% innocent clueless children with no concept of right or wrong - simply that there is a difference in mental functioning that might be further complicated by mental health issues. I also want to be clear that I believe they should be held accountable for their actions and that the victim and her family absolutely need to have their voices heard in the process. The trauma she's forced to live with is nothing to be disregarded and I hope the judge keeps that strongly in mind.

I guess it's just hard for me to see the situation in black and white. I personally feel like it's important to take the victim AND the perpetrator's perspectives into account to reach true justice, but that might be my own naivety. I don't believe the girls should have total freedom, but I also don't believe that they're incapable of being rehabilitated to some degree.

Ultimately I wish for the fairest outcome for everyone involved. What exactly that is, I can't say for sure, just share my thoughts.

• Thanks 2