Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret of Skinwalker Ranch

Zebra3

Maybe here we can discuss the series with others that actually bother to watch the show with no interruptions from those who don't.

"The investigation of the world’s most mysterious hot spot for UFO and “High Strangeness” phenomena continues as astrophysicist Dr. Travis Taylor returns to join real estate tycoon Brandon Fugal, along with his team of scientists and researchers on Utah’s notorious Skinwalker Ranch. In this groundbreaking second season, the team goes deeper and higher than ever before, applying cutting edge technology to investigate the 512-acre property to uncover the possibly “otherworldly” perpetrators behind it all. With everything from mysterious animal deaths to hidden underground workings and possible gateways that open to other dimensions, witness the close encounters that go beyond conventional explanation, as the team risks everything to finally reveal the ultimate secret of Skinwalker Ranch."

Edited by Zebra3
  • Thanks 1

I watch the show but one thing I want to point out here is the best they can do at this time is to document anomalies that seem to have no known explanation. 

Theories can be raised as to what is going on but none of these mysteries can likely be solved without new concepts being added to known science.

I am a believer that real anomalies are occurring on the ranch, so I am glued to my TV.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, if they had found any real answers, which they haven't obviously, we'd have heard about it on our breaking evening news. Something has been going on there for awhile and if it was mundane, we'd know by now, show or no show.

• Thanks 1

I have asked how triangulation was performed on the show. No one bothered to answer. 

• Thanks 3

The issue is to apply critical thinking and fact check the show. The show is a reality show and it is meant to be story telling show, not showing facts or anything real.

We could begin with the basis for the show: "the world’s most mysterious hot spot for UFO and “High Strangeness” phenomena" That is from the OP.

Is any of this true? Unlikely.

Skinwalker Ranch: The UFO Hotspot in Utah That Has Men Obsessed (msn.com)

Strange talk about the ranch didn't really happen until there was a chance to sell it to a guy named Bigelow. Most people would not tell such tales in a sale unless of course the person buying wanted that to be the case. Bigelow had his team of guys in NIDS and needed a place to use them to find what Bigelow had been interested in.

Skeptics of Skinwalker Ranch are many. One of the most prominent, Robert Sheaffer, previously pointed out that the claims of paranormal activity began just before a family that owned the ranch was preparing to sell it to Bigelow—the founder of the National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDSci), a privately financed research organization that disbanded in 2004.

Bigelow had bought it to investigate UFO sightings at the ranch through NIDSci, but after a decade of observations the team gave up the ghost.

Is this the most whatever? It sure is being billed as that even though NIDS never came up with anything to publish in a journal. Some in NIDS did put out a book with one story to tell.

• Like 1

What are anomalies? Are they important?

People would like to label things as anomalies even if they have no idea why they assigned that label.

Anomalies are often seen in data. It sometimes happens because the measurement method has some shortcoming. It can be due to an intrusion into the measurement area. Sometimes people see or hear something and say anomaly just to make something seem important.

I see the term often used by those that have no idea what is actually happening or being reported.

I see the term often used by those that don't want to investigate the cause. They'd rather have a mystery to grab onto while they hide their head in the sand.

The term is rather meaningless especially to those blindly demanding explain the anomalies. People doing that usually have no idea what was measured, or why, or the limitations of the measurement tools.

• Like 4

Has the show touched on the Hitchhiker effect? These guys are now blaming everything that happens to them as due to the ranch.

They are starting to sound a bit loony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I started to chat on another forum (paranormalforum.net) about Skinwalker Ranch but there's some trouble with the site and I get sent to a DuckDuckGo page instead of logging in and its like this on all computers and phones that I tried it on.  Strangely though, the site is still active so I wonder why I can't go on the site no matter what device I use.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Nutrition Fact said:

I started to chat on another forum (paranormalforum.net) about Skinwalker Ranch but there's some trouble with the site and I get sent to a DuckDuckGo page instead of logging in and its like this on all computers and phones that I tried it on.  Strangely though, the site is still active so I wonder why I can't go on the site no matter what device I use.

Out of curiosity I tried going to that site and did see the main page. You might try deleting cookies for that site and see if you get to the site. Also try clearing your cache

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Out of curiosity I tried going to that site and did see the main page. You might try deleting cookies for that site and see if you get to the site. Also try clearing your cache

Yes, I see the main page too.  Anything beyond the main page is DuckDuckGo, try a linke.

9 hours ago, Zebra3 said:

Maybe here we can discuss the series with others that actually bother to watch the show with no interruptions from those who don't.

On UM, you don't get to decide who comments on your thread.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nutrition Fact said:

Yes, I see the main page too.  Anything beyond the main page is DuckDuckGo, try a linke.

I just did a search for skinwaker and it took me to aa page and here is what one person stated.

The whole group there seems brilliant and kind. They are the kind of people needed to deal with what might be there. Level heads that use safety and intelligence to tackle the questions. If there is a spiritual nature to this situation good character could really make a difference in results and protection. Travis certainly must be a genius with his list of degrees. I am more confident then ever that if it is possible to know anything about this phenomenon he will dig it out.

A lot of the comments were of that nature - making the assumption that what is done on the show is scientifically rigorous when in fact that doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, acute said:

On UM, you don't get to decide who comments on your thread.

Wow. Thanks for that revelation.

• Thanks 1

Still no one wants to tell us what was used to do triangulation.

1. It will tell us that the antics of the show are ridiculous
  2. It will also dispel the notion that the clowns of the show have oodles of gear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

Still no one wants to tell us what was used to do triangulation.

1. It will tell us that the antics of the show are ridiculous
  2. It will also dispel the notion that the clowns of the show have oodles of gear

I might be able to get that answer if no one else wants to address it.  

So, tonight’s episode was the reveal of the metallic substance that came from the borehole into the mesa.  It was sent for analysis, and the preliminary results from scanning electron microscope elemental analysis indicated it was tellurium on one side and the other side is europium. The show claimed that these elements are among the rarest on this planet.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, stereologist said:

The issue is to apply critical thinking and fact check the show. The show is a reality show and it is meant to be story telling show, not showing facts or anything real.

We could begin with the basis for the show: "the world’s most mysterious hot spot for UFO and “High Strangeness” phenomena" That is from the OP.

Is any of this true? Unlikely.

While you and I agree on the TV show, maybe we should just leave the fans (and believers) to discuss the show alone.   

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

I might be able to get that answer if no one else wants to address it.  

I tried to look up the episode, but the episode number could not be picked out from the description of the episodes.

I've read the descriptions of the antics they pulled on the show but I do not want to rely on the descriptions without verifying that is what they did in fact do.

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

So, tonight’s episode was the reveal of the metallic substance that came from the borehole into the mesa.  It was sent for analysis, and the preliminary results from scanning electron microscope elemental analysis indicated it was tellurium on one side and the other side is europium. The show claimed that these elements are among the rarest on this planet.

Often these shows omit things they do not want to reveal. My guess is that the tellurium was there as part of an alloy. It is added to copper and stainless steel alloys. It's rare but not that pricey. A kilo runs under $180 today. Europium is used in euro banknotes to prevent counterfeiting. It glows red under UV light. It is also used in light bulbs for a natural light look. Europium is pricey running at $28000 a kilo. 

Tellurium - Element information, properties and uses | Periodic Table (rsc.org)

Europium - Element information, properties and uses | Periodic Table (rsc.org)

I've seen SEMs used to analyze chip defects. The electrons striking the metal knock out inner electrons. They drop back and emit an x-ray. The x-ray is measured to determine the element that was hit.

Components in a SEM - Nanoscience Instruments

I really doubt this material is just tellurium and europium. But maybe it is because that is something you can buy.

Europium Telluride | AMERICAN ELEMENTS ®

Europium Telluride (EuTe) is a crystal grown product generally immediately available in most volumes. Technical, research and safety (MSDS) information is available as is a Reference Calculator for converting relevant units of measurement. Europium Telluride (EuTe) is also available as quantum dots. EuTe Quantum Dots have the widest wavelength range reaching sizes as small as less then 500 nm; within the range sufficient to emit light in the blue-white range. Europium Telluride Quantum Dots are charged aqueous soluble nano crystals with narrow emission spectra from 490 nm to 740 nm. Europium Telluride (EuTe) is also used in solar energy and advanced optical applications.

Did these guys add this to the material from the borehole to enhance your viewing pleasure? 

9 hours ago, Guyver said:

The collapsing of the holes were weird too, I wanted to see what that piece of scrap of metal was. Hopefully they'll have caught whatever Travis saw after the rumbling they experienced on camera, and the night capture of the UAP they teased at the end should be interesting also.

Edited by Zebra3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

I tried to look up the episode, but the episode number could not be picked out from the description of the episodes.

I've read the descriptions of the antics they pulled on the show but I do not want to rely on the descriptions without verifying that is what they did in fact do.

It was two or three episodes back.  I have saved those last few, so I could look it up.  It would take some time.

50 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

The collapsing of the holes were weird too, I wanted to see what that piece of scrap of metal was. Hopefully they'll have caught whatever Travis saw after the rumbling they experienced on camera, and the night capture of the UAP they teased at the end should be interesting also.

It was very weird that ALL the holes were covering themselves up.  What did you think about the earthquake scene?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Guyver said:

It was very weird that ALL the holes were covering themselves up.  What did you think about the earthquake scene?

The drill probably caused it, which would be the obvious answer, but who knows - it was only six inches wide. That's why I'd like to know what Travis saw after. Ideally, they'd blast that ****** and see what that drill is hitting. Curious too, if Bigelow did cover up the cave entrance with explosives since that former Bigelow employee said it was much larger before these guys got there.

Edited by Zebra3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zebra3 said:

The drill probably caused it, which would be the obvious answer, but who knows - it was only six inches wide. That's why I'd like to know what Travis saw after. Ideally, they'd blast that ****** and see what that drill is hitting. Curious too, if Bigelow did cover up the cave entrance with explosives since that former Bigelow employee said it was much larger before these guys got there.

They claimed that the material they discovered is used in heat shielding for spacecraft like the space shuttle.  So, the idea is that perhaps they buried our own experimental technology, or some other type of tech could be buried there.