Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New York City’s Noncitizen Voting Law Is Struck Down

OverSword

Praise the Lord, sanity has prevailed!!!!

A law that would have allowed noncitizens to vote in local elections in New York City was struck down on Monday by a State Supreme Court justice in Staten Island who said it violated the State Constitution.

The measure, which was passed by the City Council in December, would have allowed more than 800,000 permanent legal residents and people with authorization to work in the United States to vote for offices such as mayor and City Council.

But Justice Ralph J. Porzio ruled that the new law conflicted with constitutional guidelines that only eligible citizens can vote. To give noncitizens a right to vote would require a referendum, the judge wrote.

Link

Last Friday I was having a beer on a patio downtown sharing a table with a "soccer" coach in town for a tournament coaching a team from Arizona.  He is from London and has lived in the states for about 20 years.  He told me the election of trump motivated him to become a citizen so he could vote in elections here.  When I mentioned this law (thankfully law no longer) he said that was unbelievable.  I agree with him.

• Like 3

In my county they are allowed to get drivers licenses, and all they have to do is request a voter registration. I’ve seen a guy asked about it who needed a translator just to speak to the DMV clerk. 

Heck he didn’t even request it. The clerk straight asked him if he wanted to register. Illegals are voting in this state, and no one seems to care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

In my county they are allowed to get drivers licenses, and all they have to do is request a voter registration. I’ve seen a guy asked about it who needed a translator just to speak to the DMV clerk. 

Heck he didn’t even request it. The clerk straight asked him if he wanted to register. Illegals are voting in this state, and no one seems to care. 

Stop the stupidity.  You still need a social security number to register to vote.  It doesn't matter if you fill out the paper or not.  Also, the man you mention, how do you know he was illegal?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So because someone doesn't speak English they can't be American?

What an interesting insight into your mindset.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Stop the stupidity.  You still need a social security number to register to vote.  It doesn't matter if you fill out the paper or not.  Also, the man you mention, how do you know he was illegal?

Non-citizens with green cards do have Social Security numbers.  I wonder what the process is to sort them out from citizens at the DMV after they've filled out paperwork to register to vote?  Are you a citizen?  Check yes or no box? 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Non-citizens with green cards do have Social Security numbers.

People make a killing counterfeiting them too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Non-citizens with green cards do have Social Security numbers.  I wonder what the process is to sort them out from citizens at the DMV after they've filled out paperwork to register to vote?  Are you a citizen?  Check yes or no box? 

Preacherman was specifically talking about illegals.  And I'm certain there are measures in place to determine if they are a citizen or not.  If not, believe me, Rudy would have told us by now.

Shouldnt there be a pre-screening process to make sure that stupid motions like this dont make this far?  

Guest Xetan
16 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Preacherman was specifically talking about illegals.  And I'm certain there are measures in place to determine if they are a citizen or not.  If not, believe me, Rudy would have told us by now.

Preacherman was specifically talking about somebody speaking a spooky foreign language.

9 hours ago, Xetan said:

Preacherman was specifically talking about somebody speaking a spooky foreign language.

English?

16 hours ago, Xetan said:

Man you guys are idiots. 

BTW for those who care to know. I like our illegals usually much more than I like our citizens. I have a swimming hole on a trout stream I’ve been going to since I was a kid. Two years ago I bring my boys over to swim and there are about 10 cars there. We walk down and there must have been 50 of them. Most can’t speak a word of English. 

We almost left. Then I thought, to hell with that, I’m not letting anyone push me out. So we go down and just jump in the water like they aren’t even there. 

Didn’t take long to realize how awesome these people were. Strong nuclear families. Little kids happy as hell running around. A group of kids my youngest sons age ask him to play, and off they go having a blast. They gave my wife a chair, offered us food and a couple beers. 

Now on a hot weekend when we go, I’m disappointed if they aren’t there. I’ve formed good friendships with a few of the men. 

I had no problem with the young man at the DMV. I was happy for him cause he was so excited about getting his permit, passing his test. My beef was with the DMV. 

• Like 1