Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At least 46 bodies found in 18-wheeler in San Antonio

susieice

This has a live link to the press conference.

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/06/28/least-40-people-found-dead-inside-semi-truck-san-antonio-area-reports/

The official said that federal, state and local authorities believed that the bodies were those of migrants. Cross-border smuggling and human trafficking have been longstanding problems along the U.S.-Mexico border, but the deaths of 46 people represent a stunning loss of life.

Multiple media outlets in the area report that ambulances and law enforcement officials, including agents from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, had swarmed the scene.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

On the weakest border in the history of all nations it isnt surprising in the least.

• Like 1

ABC Philadelphia just said 3 people are in custody. I'll see if I can find a link that this is true. Damn coyotes. They got them.

CBS is saying it is true but authorities aren't sure if they are connected to what happened. I didn't hear this in the press conference but I only saw part of it. I haven't rewatched the video.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-antonio-migrants-found-dead-in-truck/

Chief William McManus said at a press conference that authorities received a call at approximately 5:50 p.m. local time from a worker who had heard cries for help and found the trailer with its doors partially open. The worker found a number of dead bodies inside the trailer, McManus said. 

McManus said three people were in custody, though he noted that authorities aren't certain they're connected to the situation. The incident is now under federal investigation. 

• Like 2

"Man's inhumanity to man" :cry:

• Like 3

How does a semi with this many people make it past the border?   Crazy how insecure our border is.  

• The title was changed to At least 46 bodies found in 18-wheeler in San Antonio
2 hours ago, Myles said:

How does a semi with this many people make it past the border?   Crazy how insecure our border is.  

Just like drugs and weapons. Not thru a wall but right thru the border.

There must be an investigation on border officers. It always comes to that. Bribery.

• Like 1

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/San-Antonio-immigrants-died-in-truck-17271016.php

Mexican Consulate Marcelo Ebrard tweeted on Tuesday that he has received information from the Department of Homeland Security that 50 immigrants are now dead, four more than the initial 46 reported Monday night. A spokesperson with Baptist Health System confirms that two of the people brought from the semi-truck have died as of Tuesday morning. Three others are in critical condition. 

University Hospital tweeted this morning that it is caring for a 23-year-old woman and a male child from the incident. 

Ebrard says that out of the immigrants that died, 22 were from Mexico, seven were from Guatemala and two were from Honduras. He said U.S. officials are still working to identify the other bodies. Honduran Secretary of Foreign Affairs Enrique Reina said in a tweet that the Honduran government is investigating whether there were more Hondurans in the semi-truck.

The police chief told press on Monday, hours after the discovery of 46 bodies, that the situation was unparalleled. In July 2017, James Matthew Bradley Jr., a Kentucky truck driver, was found with 39 immigrants in his tractor trailer parked at a Walmart on the Southside.

The parking lot is six miles from where the truck was found on Quintana Road on Monday. In the 2017 case, eight were dead when officials arrived and two died at area hospitals. The 61-year-old truck driver was sentenced to life in federal prison.

A year later, Immigration and Customs Enforcement launched a human smuggling investigation after 55 people were found in a truck on the Northeast Side. Five people had minor injuries, but no deaths were reported.

• Like 1

This has happened in Dallas, and in L.A. over the years.   As long as "coyotes" can get paid to bring people across the border in their semi trucks this will continue to happen.  Mexico is as responsible as the U.S. for this.  If people who buy illegal workers, essentially enslaving them, don't get prosecuted it will keep happening.   And as long as Mexico doesn't or can't take care of their people there will be people willing to pay coyotes to get them across the border for a better life.   This issue is so complex no one sitting in their arm chair can make any judgements about it, you have to know the people and why it is happening.   There is more than one industry involved in this and two countries governments allowing it.

• Like 1

with all the money  they pay the coyotes, I just don't understand why  the migrants don't try to come here legally, and save that money to help themselves  when they get here. Was on Ksat12 here this morning. Local news mentioned something also about some women and children too who were taken to local hospitals.  I know the area, but haven't been down there in years. My dad didn't work at Lackland AFB, but worked at Security Service on Kelly AFB, the two are fairly close to each other. I said a prayer this morning for these poor people when I heard the news.  There are ways to get away from the Border Checkpoints, if you are familiar with the border area. Plenty of  county and dirt roads to drive to evade check points. Also  they might have crossed the border, with their coyote guides, and then were taken some place to get into the semi, above the check point.

9 minutes ago, HollyDolly said:

with all the money  they pay the coyotes, I just don't understand why  the migrants don't try to come here legally, and save that money to help themselves  when they get here. Was on Ksat12 here this morning. Local news mentioned something also about some women and children too who were taken to local hospitals.  I know the area, but haven't been down there in years. My dad didn't work at Lackland AFB, but worked at Security Service on Kelly AFB, the two are fairly close to each other. I said a prayer this morning for these poor people when I heard the news.  There are ways to get away from the Border Checkpoints, if you are familiar with the border area. Plenty of  county and dirt roads to drive to evade check points. Also  they might have crossed the border, with their coyote guides, and then were taken some place to get into the semi, above the check point.

No, probably not, if they are walking across then they have no money to pay a "coyote".  

I met a coyote in the 70's when I lived in Virginia.   He considered he was doing people a service because he took care of the men he hauled from farm to farm to work the summer, and he took them back home.  He was paid by the farmers and he fed the workers and provided a bed of some sort for them, then when the farm season was over he would take them home.  He had been doing that for 10 years and started as one of those workers before that, saving his money somehow to buy a truck of his own.   None of them got paid until they got home, after he subtracted his expenses and profit.    

They are not so "good" nowadays and often if something goes wrong they just park the truck in a parking lot or on the side of a road and just walk away, leaving people locked in with no care for them at all.  They also will take them to a house where they are guarded and anyone who may have family that can pay more money will be held hostage until they get more money.   It is a totally different business nowadays. 

Then you have those who walk like you describe, they do not get into a semi truck because they have no money at all to pay a "coyote", maybe they pay a guide a small amount, if they have it.  

Edited by Desertrat56

These people’s fate is being well publicized. However, Probably just as many people regularly die in the jungle, the desert, the Rio Grande or at the hands of criminals while making the journey. 

A wall wouldn’t have prevented this specific tragedy but some deterrent policy might have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Texas?  Thats the state my governor sent the State Patrol to for the Republican made "Operation Lonestar".  Something about how the federal government wasn't doing it's job regarding immigration so Texas and Republican states were just goig to do it for them and what not.

Good to see my state tax dollars are just as wasted as my federal tax dollars.  (Note to self: Abbott and co. are just as incompetent as Biden when it comes to preventing stuff like this and enforcing border security)

• Like 1

This is why we need Trump back in office and complete the Wall. These type people wouldn't have died.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Texas?  Thats the state my governor sent the State Patrol to for the Republican made "Operation Lonestar".  Something about how the federal government wasn't doing it's job regarding immigration so Texas and Republican states were just goig to do it for them and what not.

Good to see my state tax dollars are just as wasted as my federal tax dollars.  (Note to self: Abbott and co. are just as incompetent as Biden when it comes to preventing stuff like this and enforcing border security)

I was a software developer for a lot of years in Texas and I wrote a lot of programs for Texas county sheriffs who hated I.C.E. and had us create reports on legal status of people in their county jails that they then used to create bills for I.C.E. when those reprobates showed up at the last minute to take their prisoners.  When they were presented with the bills (if a guy was there for 3 weeks before I.C.E. showed up the bill would be thousands) they would walk away.    I.C.E. was considered the most useless and least trustworthy federal agency (except maybe the C.I.A.) because they did not seem to follow the laws of any jurisdiction, just walked in and demanded what ever expecting to get it.   It was software more than half the counties in the state used and the border counties were the ones who asked for it.   They found the illegal immigrants who were prisoners to be much less trouble because they did not want to be deported.  And when they finished thier time, if they were on probation they were compliant and polite to the probation officers.  Of course those law enforcement would prefer them over the white, entitled criminals they usaully had to deal with, so they did what they could to keep them from being deported.   Abbott is an ignorant, arrogant out of touch with reality governor, and I have found that to be common no matter what state you live in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Macho MAGA Man said:

This is why we need Trump back in office and complete the Wall. These type people wouldn't have died.

We already gave that old man a chance to do just that and he failed both at wall building and immigration.  

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

We already gave that old man a chance to do just that and he failed both at wall building and immigration.  

however, biden is failing at it at a much bigger rate.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

however, biden is failing at it at a much bigger rate.  

No one expected Biden to build a wall or fix the immigration problem.  The same cannot be said of Trump.  So in that respect, you can't really say he is a failure like Trump.

• Like 1

Texas migrant deaths: Suspected truck driver is charged

The suspected driver of a truck found abandoned in Texas with dozens of bodies inside has been charged with migrant smuggling resulting in death.

Homero Zamorano was found posing as a migrant in a bush near the lorry in San Antonio and arrested by police.

Some 53 people died in the tragedy, many of heatstroke and dehydration, after being shut inside the truck in blistering heat without any water.

It is the deadliest human trafficking incident in US history.

According to a top Mexican immigration official, the suspected driver, Mr Zamorano - who is from Texas, had "tried to pass himself off as one of the survivors" when he was found by police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61990497

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Texas migrant deaths: Suspected truck driver is charged

The suspected driver of a truck found abandoned in Texas with dozens of bodies inside has been charged with migrant smuggling resulting in death.

Homero Zamorano was found posing as a migrant in a bush near the lorry in San Antonio and arrested by police.

Some 53 people died in the tragedy, many of heatstroke and dehydration, after being shut inside the truck in blistering heat without any water.

It is the deadliest human trafficking incident in US history.

According to a top Mexican immigration official, the suspected driver, Mr Zamorano - who is from Texas, had "tried to pass himself off as one of the survivors" when he was found by police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61990497

I'm glad to hear the driver has been charged. I can't believe he tried to pose as a migrant. He certainly knew what he had done. Now here's to hoping his trial and sentencing is equal to the horrors he caused.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:46 PM, Gromdor said:

Congress has the purse strings. People tend to forget that. Trump even had to redirect money to get done what he did.

The driver is claiming he didn't know the air-con had failed.

• Sad 1