Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is it that when someone talks about their experiences here, they are scrutinized with bias?


Shari Holmes
 Share

Recommended Posts

I did not post here to win people over with my unexplainable experiences. I was hoping to acquire some similar stories maybe, and some inquiry to the back story. I really thought it would spark curiosity and humour. I was wrong, but that' s okay. The next interesting thing I hear will be posted so that just maybe there is someone out their who shares a similar experience. Thanks for the welcome matt. Keep pushin' on...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Shari Holmes said:

I did not post here to win people over with my unexplainable experiences. I was hoping to acquire some similar stories maybe, and some inquiry to the back story. I really thought it would spark curiosity and humour. I was wrong, but that' s okay. The next interesting thing I hear will be posted so that just maybe there is someone out their who shares a similar experience. Thanks for the welcome matt. Keep pushin' on...

There are a lot of skeptics that don't have much entertainment, as well as quite a few trolls  on this forum.   It seems that there are more "normal" people on this forum as well.  It is not like spititualforum.com or forteana.org where the rules and the mods keep a tight lid on discussions.   If you want to actually discuss things this is the forum with the most people who want discussion, though often threads will deteriorate into two people arguing back and forth which gets tedious.   It is why I have so many on ignore here, but even so I find a lot of people to discuss with. 

I suppose if all the paranormal/ufo/metaphysical stuff is new to you, you would be better off telling your stories on spiritualforums.com, everyone is kind there and will give you advice if you ask for it.   It just depends on if you want to grow and learn, have thought provoking discussions or whether you want to be led or or want accolades.

There is a lot of humor on this site compared to the others as well.   You aren't wrong, just confused or have expectations out of synch with this forum.   

You might find what you are looking for (similar experiences) if you peruse the threads in certain sub-forums, I think you have not spent enough time doing that yet.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

spiritualforums.com, everyone is kind there and will give you advice if you ask for it.  

Sounds like back patting and a echo chamber. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sounds like back patting and a echo chamber. 

Yes, they are mostly stuck in the 80's, but for someone who is new to this and wants to learn something it is a nice place to start.   I am too old and crusty for that place nowadays,  I don't need any one to lead me anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, they are mostly stuck in the 80's, but for someone who is new to this and wants to learn something it is a nice place to start.   I am too old and crusty for that place nowadays,  I don't need any one to lead me anywhere.

I doubt they're as new to all this as presented. I've got a 'brain itch'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Idk,

A lot of people pop in here with some wild outlandish story with no evidence to support claims and want it to be hailed as paranormal is the only explanation. Some get rather cross when they dont receive that coddling.

Others pop in here with agendas, sell a book, get my hits on their youtube click bait, you name it and of course get even more irate if exposed.

But there are some good sincere people who come in to discuss stuff they know they might not like every reply but they dont mind varies opinions.

One thing for sure no net forum is a place for the thin skinned.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I doubt they're as new to all this as presented. I've got a 'brain itch'.

No, they aren't new, they are stuck.   I actually respect most of them, but I see no point in going over the same stuff over and over.

Edited by Desertrat56
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

No, they aren't new, they are stuck.

Ain't my problem and I really don't care. Most of the time I feel people need a good trainwreck in order to find out who they actually are. So I'm not buying any of this. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shari Holmes said:

I did not post here to win people over with my unexplainable experiences. I was hoping to acquire some similar stories maybe, and some inquiry to the back story. I really thought it would spark curiosity and humour. I was wrong, but that' s okay. The next interesting thing I hear will be posted so that just maybe there is someone out their who shares a similar experience. Thanks for the welcome matt. Keep pushin' on...

To answer the question in your title, it’s because so many people have posted crazy unbelievable stories throughout the many years that some of us have been here.  Additionally, skepticism is very popular here and many of these long time skeptics have a bit of a “fan club” going with each other.  They get “props” that is satisfaction for being the first, or best at demolishing some poor souls “stories.”  They take nothing at face value - ever, and actually have their egos  stroked by the feeling of superiority they get from shooting something down.  How’s that for an answer to the title, but not content of your thread?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shari Holmes said:

I did not post here to win people over with my unexplainable experiences. I was hoping to acquire some similar stories maybe, and some inquiry to the back story. I really thought it would spark curiosity and humour. I was wrong, but that' s okay. The next interesting thing I hear will be posted so that just maybe there is someone out their who shares a similar experience. Thanks for the welcome matt. Keep pushin' on...

I do agree that the skepticism here should be served with a lot more respect. Giving a natural explanation for things does not have to be done in a mocking way.

But this is a greyzone site. Part of the name is "explained", which makes it appealing for both the curious (who are undecided) and the skeptics, like myself.

I have a full understanding of reality, based in science, so whenever I can offer someone a logical and reasonable explanation, I do. Also if it's not asked for. Because, even if you don't want the truth, the truth wants you :tu:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I do agree that the skepticism here should be served with a lot more respect. Giving a natural explanation for things does not have to be done in a mocking way.

But this is a greyzone site. Part of the name is "explained", which makes it appealing for both the curious (who are undecided) and the skeptics, like myself.

I have a full understanding of reality, based in science, so whenever I can offer someone a logical and reasonable explanation, I do. Also if it's not asked for. Because, even if you don't want the truth, the truth wants you :tu:

All is good, and your scientific approach may prove helpful to me along my path. You never know. Keep pushin' on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

There are a lot of skeptics that don't have much entertainment, as well as quite a few trolls  on this forum.   It seems that there are more "normal" people on this forum as well.  It is not like spititualforum.com or forteana.org where the rules and the mods keep a tight lid on discussions.   If you want to actually discuss things this is the forum with the most people who want discussion, though often threads will deteriorate into two people arguing back and forth which gets tedious.   It is why I have so many on ignore here, but even so I find a lot of people to discuss with. 

I suppose if all the paranormal/ufo/metaphysical stuff is new to you, you would be better off telling your stories on spiritualforums.com, everyone is kind there and will give you advice if you ask for it.   It just depends on if you want to grow and learn, have thought provoking discussions or whether you want to be led or or want accolades.

There is a lot of humor on this site compared to the others as well.   You aren't wrong, just confused or have expectations out of synch with this forum.   

You might find what you are looking for (similar experiences) if you peruse the threads in certain sub-forums, I think you have not spent enough time doing that yet.

Yes. I dove in too deep in ignorance. I respect this forum, and I think I may have more of a look around before I post anything more yet. Thank you and keep pushin' on.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Sounds like back patting and a echo chamber. 

I already have an account there. There is a LOT of serious mental illness going on there. I'm going to observe and read here because I like the layout and the seriousness some of the members articulate. This forum gives me a chance to look at things from a different perspective (not that I'm saying I'm crazy or wrong). I am also going to check out some of the sub-forums. Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, they are mostly stuck in the 80's, but for someone who is new to this and wants to learn something it is a nice place to start.   I am too old and crusty for that place nowadays,  I don't need any one to lead me anywhere.

Remember you only get wise with age. I am getting a kick out of this sight. I'm going to tour around some more. Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I doubt they're as new to all this as presented. I've got a 'brain itch'.

Maybe you should scratch it for clarity...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

To answer the question in your title, it’s because so many people have posted crazy unbelievable stories throughout the many years that some of us have been here.  Additionally, skepticism is very popular here and many of these long time skeptics have a bit of a “fan club” going with each other.  They get “props” that is satisfaction for being the first, or best at demolishing some poor souls “stories.”  They take nothing at face value - ever, and actually have their egos  stroked by the feeling of superiority they get from shooting something down.  How’s that for an answer to the title, but not content of your thread?

How very wrong you are.

I give what i get many times ive been blasted for nothing more than asking for supportive evidence, not my fault they have none and i didnt ask to shoot them down i asked hoping this time would be the time that a story could be supported with evidence.

You are correct i am neither gulluble or credulous enough to take stories at face value.

I admit a disdain for people who profit off paranormal by taking advantage of believers.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shari Holmes said:

I did not post here to win people over with my unexplainable experiences. I was hoping to acquire some similar stories maybe, and some inquiry to the back story. I really thought it would spark curiosity and humour. I was wrong, but that' s okay. The next interesting thing I hear will be posted so that just maybe there is someone out their who shares a similar experience. Thanks for the welcome matt. Keep pushin' on...

Arguably because if you scratch a skeptic you’ll tend to find a disappointed believer. So often we’re presented with intriguing reports and either because we’ve been stung too many times before we respond with cynicism or because we’re genuinely interested but tend to lack tact we respond with a blunt demand for more information. 
 

Lets say someone says they saw a Angel. 
The responses will range from bollox to tell us more to “ohh my sweet child, you’ve been blessed”. Now, Honestly, what is more desired to hear? Affirmation or confrontation? However, we either want to know more and are unsubtle in our questioning or are blunt in our refusal to be baited. Thus threads tend to become confrontational quickly. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I understand the sentiment, but it's also about keeping people honest. Yes, there are people out there who won't believe a thing anyone ever says about anything dealing with the paranormal, but it's also not uncommon for posters to come on here who may very well be dealing with something not very mentally healthy, just seeking attention or just don't have very good deductive reasoning skills. I don't think most are being insulting if they ask you to clarify something, offer alternative viewpoints or other options. This is healthy discourse (usually) and shouldn't be taken as you just being shot down. 

Edit: Sir Wearer of Hats, exactly, and makes more sense than me, as usual. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shari Holmes said:

I did not post here to win people over with my unexplainable experiences. I was hoping to acquire some similar stories maybe, and some inquiry to the back story. I really thought it would spark curiosity and humour. I was wrong, but that' s okay. The next interesting thing I hear will be posted so that just maybe there is someone out their who shares a similar experience. Thanks for the welcome matt. Keep pushin' on...

It's a problem here that the skeptics on this forum are rude and insistent when they really can't know. By definition, any paranormal story will sound outlandish. Like a lot of irrational behavior it usually stems from insecurity and ego-defending.

I am a believer in many paranormal things and I kind of enjoy going blow-for-blow with them. It keeps my arguing skills sharp, but my style is not for everyone.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shari Holmes said:

Remember you only get wise with age. I am getting a kick out of this sight. I'm going to tour around some more. Thanks.

Hi Shari

I found this site 14 years ago when I bought my first computer(I am an old ass buzzard and computers didn't fit in my tool pouch when I was younger so never gave it much mind. I lurked for a while and the thing that made me fell like I found home was the humor that was expressed here or maybe iot wasn't meant to be funny but it cracked me up anyway. I am sure my nieghbours at that time though I had lost my mind because I laughed so hard I had tears running down my cheeks. That aside there were some members here that saw I was interested and lacking skills so they took me under their wing and taught me how to use a computer to do proper searches and find credible sources and am thankful that they gave me the tools to research things I find interesting.

I'm not a pretty boy and look like I am smiling while thinking about how to dispose of the body and may look somewhat unapproachable but that has not been a barrier in these people giving me guidance skeptics or not.;):tu:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Yes, there are people out there who won't believe a thing anyone ever says about anything dealing with the paranormal

I resemble that remark but im laughing at both it and myself i can do that.

That simple fact at the moment is nothing paranormal has ever been proven some paranormal claims have been debunked none proven so believers start off with that handicap so to speak.

And there are some believers who no matter how good the proof they wont except it wasnt paranormal, right papa? lol.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Arguably because if you scratch a skeptic you’ll tend to find a disappointed believer. So often we’re presented with intriguing reports and either because we’ve been stung too many times before we respond with cynicism or because we’re genuinely interested but tend to lack tact we respond with a blunt demand for more information. 
 

Lets say someone says they saw a Angel. 
The responses will range from bollox to tell us more to “ohh my sweet child, you’ve been blessed”. Now, Honestly, what is more desired to hear? Affirmation or confrontation? However, we either want to know more and are unsubtle in our questioning or are blunt in our refusal to be baited. Thus threads tend to become confrontational quickly. 

People should just state the answer they want rather than asking for any opinions. Would save time, mostly my time. 

Some like myself have an ever growing hatred for the supernatural and paranormal. Too many liars, frauds, delusional and mentally ill people. Not to mention opportunists. And the fact that every claim is exceedingly exaggerate.

Then the supposed psychics make big claims, giving suggestions that would help prove things. That never pans out.

Of course the yes men who buy every claim as true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Some like myself have an ever growing hatred for the supernatural and paranormal

Why would you hate something you say doesn't exist? I think you hate things you have no control over, which could be long list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Shari Holmes said:

Thanks for the welcome matt.

Simply block those whoms posts you dislike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.