Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earthquake Swarm in South Carolina


susieice
 Share

Recommended Posts

South Carolina is being shaken by an unusual number of earthquakes but experts say there is no need for alarm. The USGS has recorded more than 40 earthquakes in South Carolina since December 21. 

https://weather.com/news/news/2022-06-30-south-carolina-earthquake-swarm?cm_ven=dnt_social_facebook&social_post=7187353532&linkId=171459695&fbclid=IwAR0EgyUrwtIEbfNyCwZPU1GOzV8H0ar30TZsV6RnSJCEI8i8S04IBe7OqO0

“There’s no reason to worry in particular," Wendy Bohon, an earthquake geologist at the Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology in Washington D.C., told weather.com Thursday. "It’s just a little earthquake swarm that’s happening.”

A swarm is a group of earthquakes, typically small in magnitude, with no identifiable main quake associated with them.

Since Dec. 21, the U.S. Geological Survey has recorded about 40 earthquakes in central South Carolina ranging in magnitude from 1.3 to 3.6. Five were magnitude 3.0 or higher. The strongest happened Wednesday near the town of Elgin, which is an area where all of the recent stronger earthquakes have happened.

Earthquakes smaller than 4.0 typically don't cause damage, according to the USGS.

The agency says earthquakes in central South Carolina aren't unusual, but so many of them in such a short period are.

Bohon said it's not clear what causes swarms like this to happen.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

It's definitely different for us, especially coworkers who travel from areas around Elgin. Thankfully, they haven't proven destructive. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used to have a couple small quakes when I lived in WNY State (Clarendon Linden Fault Line) ages ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

It's definitely different for us, especially coworkers who travel from areas around Elgin. Thankfully, they haven't proven destructive. 

Hope it stays relatively safe. The USGS doesn't seem to be too worried. A lot more of a nuisance than anything but who wants to go through this. Stay safe everyone and hopefully the quakes will stop soon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

See the source image

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Trelane said:

Used to have a couple small quakes when I lived in WNY State (Clarendon Linden Fault Line) ages ago. 

 

11 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

It's definitely different for us, especially coworkers who travel from areas around Elgin. Thankfully, they haven't proven destructive. 

Really old and deep faults from the CAMP when Pangea broke up.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

South Carolina Office of Emergency Management - June 30, 2022

"Midlands Earthquake Swarm Longest in Recorded History"

Geologists studying the ongoing swarm of earthquakes in Kershaw County believe this may be the longest period of successive earthquake activity in the state’s recorded history. An earthquake swarm is a sequence of seismic events occurring in a local area within a relatively short period of time. This swarm began December 27, 2021, with a magnitude 3.3 earthquake centered near Elgin, South Carolina. Since then, 47 low-magnitude earthquakes have occurred in the Elgin-Lugoff area, with the strongest being a magnitude 3.6 on June 29, 2022 ...

52189979237_21b49538ca_c.jpg

Since there is no fracking here, the mystery deepens .... literally.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Since there is no fracking here, the mystery deepens .... literally.

It's the mystery of moving tectonic plates.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

South Carolina Office of Emergency Management - June 30, 2022

"Midlands Earthquake Swarm Longest in Recorded History"

Geologists studying the ongoing swarm of earthquakes in Kershaw County believe this may be the longest period of successive earthquake activity in the state’s recorded history. An earthquake swarm is a sequence of seismic events occurring in a local area within a relatively short period of time. This swarm began December 27, 2021, with a magnitude 3.3 earthquake centered near Elgin, South Carolina. Since then, 47 low-magnitude earthquakes have occurred in the Elgin-Lugoff area, with the strongest being a magnitude 3.6 on June 29, 2022 ...

52189979237_21b49538ca_c.jpg

Since there is no fracking here, the mystery deepens .... literally.

When North America pushed up against Africa, then separated from Africa again it created many faults. 

So what's the mystery?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I attended a closed door meeting on this subject back in the 1990's, which included top experts from all over the U.S. The "mystery," is that the fault that caused the mega quake in Charleston, SC in 1886, is so deep that it's poorly understood. 

More recently, seismologists have studied the sand blows around this area to get a sense of how often the fault ruptures, but I can't remember if there were any clues from this research.

The most interesting speculation I've read, is that these quakes may be caused by the erosion of the Appalacian Mountians and a rebounding of the crust underneath.

The other thing that's interesting, is that the great Charleston quake of 1886 was preceded by smaller foreshocks, but how many, and where these occurred is hard to research.

Clearly,  looking at the plutonium stored there, South Carolina has given the Earth a real belly ache.

Regardless, I hope and pray that this activity will not lead to anything close to what occurred in 1886, because the cost would be astronomical, and likely cripple South Carolina for decades. Losing the Port of Charleston for any length of time, now, would also be a devastating blow to the United States. 

Do the pastors in South Carolina have sense enough to pray that this does not occur?  

This mirrors my sincere prayer for South Carolina:

 

 

Deep peace of the running wave to you.

Deep peace of the flowing air to you.

Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.

Deep peace of the shining stars to you.

Deep peace of the gentle night to you.

Moon and stars pour their healing light on you.

Deep peace of Christ, of Christ the light of the world to you.

Deep peace of Christ to you.

Edited by Raptor Witness
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

I attended a closed door meeting on this subject back in the 1990's, which included top experts from all over the U.S. The "mystery," is that the fault that caused the mega quake in Charleston, SC in 1886, is so deep that it's poorly understood. 

More recently, seismologists have studied the sand blows around this area to get a sense of how often the fault ruptures, but I can't remember if there were any clues from this research.

The most interesting speculation I've read, is that these quakes may be caused by the erosion of the Appalacian Mountians and a rebounding of the crust underneath.

The other thing that's interesting, is that the great Charleston quake of 1886 was preceded by smaller foreshocks, but how many, and where these occurred is hard to research.

Clearly,  looking at the plutonium stored there, South Carolina has given the Earth a real belly ache.

Regardless, I hope and pray that this activity will not lead to anything close to what occurred in 1886, because the cost would be astronomical, and likely cripple South Carolina for decades. Losing the Port of Charleston for any length of time, now, would also be a devastating blow to the United States. 

Do the pastors in South Carolina have sense enough to pray that this does not occur?  

This mirrors my sincere prayer for South Carolina:

 

 

Deep peace of the running wave to you.

Deep peace of the flowing air to you.

Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.

Deep peace of the shining stars to you.

Deep peace of the gentle night to you.

Moon and stars pour their healing light on you.

Deep peace of Christ, of Christ the light of the world to you.

Deep peace of Christ to you.

Like I said. Deep faults from Pangea's smashup and breakup. The erosion theory is pure bunk. Studying the sand dunes was about the "sand boils" or liquefied soil, which happens during major quakes.

"Close door meeting"? Academic discussions concerning the CAMP are open to anyone. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
4 hours ago, Piney said:

..... "Close door meeting"? Academic discussions concerning the CAMP are open to anyone. 

This was not an "academic" meeting. Several of the experts attended via live feed, which in the 90's was something I had not seen before.

Without revealing more than I care to, I can say it was a high level meeting related to emergency management.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

This was not an "academic" meeting. Several of the experts attended via live feed, which in the 90's was something I had not seen before.

Without revealing more than I care to, I can say it was a high level meeting related to emergency management.

EM high level stuff eh? Live feed in the 90s. That's some real spook ****.

We have top secret meetings about forest fires. :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Piney said:

EM high level stuff eh? Live feed in the 90s. That's some real spook ****.

We have top secret meetings about forest fires. :o

Nothing secret, it was just for people who needed to know about the risk. I stood in for my boss, who wasn't interested in earthquakes. He knew I was, so my job was to report back what I heard.

The fault is a mystery, because of it's depth, and how quiet it has been. It doesn't talk much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Nothing secret, it was just for people who needed to know about the risk. I stood in for my boss, who wasn't interested in earthquakes. He knew I was, so my job was to report back what I heard.

The fault is a mystery, because of it's depth, and how quiet it has been. It doesn't talk much.

No mystery whatsoever. Just under millions of years worth of deposits and since Pangea started rifting further inland there are many quiet faults on the East Coast.

There are not only faults lying hundreds of feet under deposits in New Jersey, but several extinct volcanic cones and a few domes. Then there's the Newark Basin. The chert quarries in Gap, P.A were once volcanic mud pots similar to the ones in Yellowstone.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do the Alamogordo nuclear blasts have anything to do with this?

I know it's almost 80 years ago, but Earth responds in a kind of slow way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or, God has f**in had it with Lindsey Graham and She is warming up. Can't even begin to guess why that would be.:devil:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Interesting advisory by the USGS …. for the recent swarm in South Carolina.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.