Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing homing pigeon found 4,000 miles away in Alabama

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

A confused pigeon has turned up thousands of miles away in the US after getting lost racing back to Tyneside.

Bob set off from Guernsey in the Channel Islands three weeks ago on the 400-mile (644 km) route to Gateshead, which was supposed to take 10 hours.

But instead of heading home to Tyneside the four-year-old was found at the home of a puzzled Alabama resident.

Owner Alan Todd believed Bob took a wrong turn and landed on a ship where he crossed the Atlantic.

The bird, who is said to be worth more than £1,000, is currently being cared for by an animal shelter in Monroeville, Alabama.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-61994590

• Like 2

Amazing story.  I hope he gets home safely.  When I saw the location where he was found, the first thing I thought of was TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.  Monroeville, Alabama was the inspiration for the sleepy little town where the book was centered.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A confused pigeon has turned up thousands of miles away in the US after getting lost racing back to Tyneside.

Bob set off from Guernsey in the Channel Islands three weeks ago on the 400-mile (644 km) route to Gateshead, which was supposed to take 10 hours.

But instead of heading home to Tyneside the four-year-old was found at the home of a puzzled Alabama resident.

Owner Alan Todd believed Bob took a wrong turn and landed on a ship where he crossed the Atlantic.

The bird, who is said to be worth more than £1,000, is currently being cared for by an animal shelter in Monroeville, Alabama.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-61994590

I don't think Bob is worth £1,000 pounds now. Homing pigeons that get lost are worth a few pence in pigeon pie, sadly. Bob will be better off staying where he is: The Ethics of Pigeon Racing | HelpWildlife.co.uk

Edited by The Silver Shroud