Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Danish PM and colleagues criticised over mink cull during Covid pandemic

Still Waters

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen has been heavily criticised by a commission investigating her government's decision to cull millions of mink during the Covid pandemic.

The slaughter of up to 17 million mink was ordered by the government in November 2020 after a mutated Covid variant was found in some farms in the north of the country.

After the order was given to cull all infected and healthy mink, Danish farmers appeared on TV in tears over the loss of their livelihoods, as mass graves appeared in the Danish countryside filled with the slaughtered animals.

Ms Frederiksen gave the order during a press conference on 4 November. But a few days later it emerged there was no legal framework in place to carry it out, prompting widespread public and political outrage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62001162

• The title was changed to Danish PM and colleagues criticised over mink cull during Covid pandemic

There never is a need to slaughter any animal. Just wait until the disease has weeded out the unfit and let the surviving animals reproduce afterwards. Most of the progeny will survive the same disease.

That goes for humans as well.

8 hours ago, Ell said:

There never is a need to slaughter any animal. Just wait until the disease has weeded out the unfit and let the surviving animals reproduce afterwards. Most of the progeny will survive the same disease.

You don't seem to have put a lot of thought into that.

A large concentration of mink is the perfect breeding ground for virus mutations, that then spreads to the caretakers, their peers, the town, the whole country and finally the world.

And you don't get immunity just because your parents survived an infection before you were born. It's a lot more complicated than that.
How do you think the common cold keeps being so successful? That is, in many cases, a coronavirus too.

8 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen has been heavily criticised by a commission investigating her government's decision to cull millions of mink during the Covid pandemic.

The slaughter of up to 17 million mink was ordered by the government in November 2020 after a mutated Covid variant was found in some farms in the north of the country.

After the order was given to cull all infected and healthy mink, Danish farmers appeared on TV in tears over the loss of their livelihoods, as mass graves appeared in the Danish countryside filled with the slaughtered animals.

Ms Frederiksen gave the order during a press conference on 4 November. But a few days later it emerged there was no legal framework in place to carry it out, prompting widespread public and political outrage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62001162

Her officials, even the chief of police, are at fault in all this. They never investigated the legal framework (which could be interpreted as 'in favor of the culling') or alerted her. And it had to be done, so even if they had, it would have happened anyway. But maybe with a few days delay. A few days that could have set loose a new mutation.

But the press and the opposition smell blood, so they don't care that it would have happened anyway. They just care about procedure.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

A large concentration of mink is the perfect breeding ground for virus mutations, that then spreads to the caretakers, their peers, the town, the whole country and finally the world.

That must be the reason that all you eight billion people are dead today. I see your zombie corpses walking by every day when I look outside my germ free bomb shelter.

Umm, no: your mutation fantasy is complete nonsense.

And you don't get immunity just because your parents survived an infection before you were born. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Mmpf, I must conclude that you do not know what you are talking about.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4547482/

12 minutes ago, Ell said:

That must be the reason that all you eight billion people are dead today. I see your zombie corpses walking by every day when I look outside my germ free bomb shelter.

Umm, no: your mutation fantasy is complete nonsense.

Scoff at it all you want. Trying to sound smart doesn't make you smart. The reason that dangerous mutations didn't occur, was due to close monitoring and eventually the culling. Denmark was the world's largest producer of mink fur back then, and being that on a very small geographical territory.

19 minutes ago, Ell said:

Mmpf, I must conclude that you do not know what you are talking about.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4547482/

Did you even read that?

If you did, tell me what the study is based upon, and how that relates to SARS-CoV-2 ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Did you even read that?

No, I didn't read that. I just googled "disease resistance" and genetics.

(Genetics is the science that studies the inherited characteristics of organisms, "disease resistance" being one of such subjects.

In this link you can read more about this obscure science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics)

Being smart causes me to sound smart.

Edited by Ell
grammar correction

3 minutes ago, Ell said:

No, I didn't read that. I just googled "disease resistance" and genetics.

(Genetics is the science that studies the inherited characteristics of organisms, "disease resistance" being one of such subjects.

In this link you can read more about this obscure science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics)

Well, as I started off by saying: It's a lot more complicated than that.

The study you linked to is about bacterial tuberculosis in cows, and birnaviridae in salmon. Pretty useless when it comes to coronavirus in rodents.

Genetically cultivating resistance in livestock is also a long process that takes experience and knowhow. It's not just something you decide to do, by letting nature run its course.

10 minutes ago, Ell said:

Being smart causes me to sound smart.

Obviously not. You know squat.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ell said:

If this was true, why is bubonic plague still killing 60% of the people who get it, if they don't recieve antibiotics? Shouldn't everyone be resistant after 6 centuries, according to your theory?

16 hours ago, Ell said:

There are things like morals and ethics which make it difficult for people to stand by and wait for the "survival of the fittest" during an epidemic. They even took what preventative measures they could in the 15th Century during the Great Plague.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

If this was true, why is bubonic plague still killing 60% of the people who get it, if they don't receive antibiotics? Shouldn't everyone be resistant after 6 centuries, according to your theory?

That is an excellent reply. Bacteria differ from viruses and are countered by different parts of the immune system. Bacteria in general do not infect cells; viruses do.

I seem to recall that in European areas afflicted by the plague their descendants have a specific allele that also in some way protects against hiv? Those who did not have this allele died from the plague.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ell said:

That is an excellent reply. Bacteria differ from viruses and are countered by different parts of the immune system. Bacteria in general do not infect cells; viruses do.

I seem to recall that in European areas afflicted by the plague their descendants have a specific allele that also in some way protects against hiv? Those who did not have this allele died from the plague.

This is mentioned here, I was not aware  of this link between bacteria and virus immunity, thanks:Biologists Discover Why 10 Percent Of Europeans Are Safe From HIV Infection -- ScienceDaily

I don't see how it supports your assertion that do nothing and await the survival of the fittest is the best response to disease.

26 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

This is mentioned here, I was not aware  of this link between bacteria and virus immunity, thanks:Biologists Discover Why 10 Percent Of Europeans Are Safe From HIV Infection -- ScienceDaily

I don't see how it supports your assertion that do nothing and await the survival of the fittest is the best response to disease.

It shows that natural selection does occur.

They should be criticised. Regardless of the legal framework, if the mink were still here then there would be zero difference to covid " the disease that has an average kill age above 85 years old which is in a similar range to nearly every counters average life span" .

Covid is BS and belongs in the nasty flu type virus category. While the governments around the World response is decidedly dangerous bordering on psychopathic.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

They should be criticised. Regardless of the legal framework, if the mink were still here then there would be zero difference to covid " the disease that has an average kill age above 85 years old which is in a similar range to nearly every counters average life span" .

Covid is BS and belongs in the nasty flu type virus category. While the governments around the World response is decidedly dangerous bordering on psychopathic.

So, trying to protect the healthcare systems from being overrun and collapse is psychopathic?

Covid was never about death rate. I find it incredible that people still think that, after more than two years.

5 hours ago, zep73 said:

So, trying to protect the healthcare systems from being overrun and collapse is psychopathic?

Covid was never about death rate. I find it incredible that people still think that, after more than two years.

Whilst most have come to realise that covid was nothing more than bad science and a nasty virus year but harmless to the overwhelming majority, you know,  the normal weight people with no comorbidity, just like most flu years. 

Made worse by social experiments like lockdown and by the media with inflated numbers borrowed from the very people who should've been guarding against the scaremongering.stats.

10 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Whilst most have come to realise that covid was nothing more than bad science and a nasty virus year but harmless to the overwhelming majority, you know,  the normal weight people with no comorbidity, just like most flu years. 

Made worse by social experiments like lockdown and by the media with inflated numbers borrowed from the very people who should've been guarding against the scaremongering.stats.

But.... Covid is much much more infectious than the flu ever was, and it is a respiratory disease that also got a great deal of younger people admitted during the surges.

Did you not see all the footage from overcrowded hospitals all over the world? Many in America had so many dead bodies they didn't know what to do with them. Or did you ignore that?