Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Multiple people shot at 4th of July parade in Illinois

susieice

Suspect is reportedly still at large. Video is live link to NBC Chicago.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/police-respond-to-incident-in-downtown-highland-park-urge-public-to-avoid-area/3760787/

Edited by susieice

NBC live just said 16 shot and injured, 5 dead.

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 4

The shooter was on a rooftop. Still not in custody. Press conference coming now.

Suspect is a white male approximately 18-20 years old with long dark hair and wearing a white tee shirt. A weapon has been recovered at the scene. It was a rifle.

They just said 6 deceased and 24 taken to hospital. LE is saying the 24 have serious injuries.

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 1

Report on the press conference. CNN on TV is now saying 31 injured. This link has also changed to 31.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/illinois-shooting-july-fourth-parade-07-04-22/index.html

Edited by susieice

Another press conference coming in minutes. Will be in live link. Police still have no one in custody. Chicago police are now assisting.

Didn't say much more. The weapon was a high power rifle. Another conference is set for 3:00 their time.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Its so ****ed up.

I legitimately have the thought now of when going to a large public event that their may be a shooter 

• Like 7

18-20 year old male suspect seems to fit a pattern so far. There are a lot of mentally troubled 18-20 year old males in this country and I wonder if these other recent mass shooting events did not plant a seed in this young man's head.

My point is the media's over-coverage and public's predictable hand-wringing over these things probably plants more seeds than removal of seeds. 

My suggestion: Less media attention to mass shootings and also more firearm controls. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Happened not too too far from me.  It's a very subdued 4th around here with none of the usual amateur fireworks going off.  

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

. There are a lot of mentally troubled 18-20 year old males in this country

There are a lot of mentally troubled 18 - 20 year old males all around the world . . . . only in America are they shooting 30+ people at a time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

18-20 year old male suspect seems to fit a pattern so far. There are a lot of mentally troubled 18-20 year old males in this country and I wonder if these other recent mass shooting events did not plant a seed in this young man's head.

My point is the media's over-coverage and public's predictable hand-wringing over these things probably plants more seeds than removal of seeds. 

My suggestion: Less media attention to mass shootings and also more firearm controls. 

They’ve grown up in a culture that has fetishised the idea that a man is strong, handsome, monosyllabic, solves their problems with guns and/or violence, that the only acceptably male roles are soldier, ex-soldier, sportsman or devious professional psychopath. 
it takes a great deal of personal integrity and self assurance to not end up just a little twisted by that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

There are a lot of mentally troubled 18 - 20 year old males all around the world . . . . only in America are they shooting 30+ people at a time.

So, what do you think is the unique problem in the USA?

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, acute said:

So, what do you think is the unique problem in the USA?

:whistle:

I blame the Republican Party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The shooter has been identified as Robert (Bobby) Crimo III, driving a 2010 silver Honda, and he is 22 years old. They also released his license plate number and said he is from the area. He is still on the loose.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Yes, but my point was the media attention in the U.S. is greater affecting U.S. 18-20 year olds greater. I don't think a shooting in Illinois is quite as publicized in the UK.

The gun culture of America is also to blame, yes.

• Like 1

It amazes me that Americans accept this as everyday life. "What's the weather forecast today?" "It's going to rain this afternoon, by the way, don't go to Walmarts, someone is killing people there today".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It is basic infantry tactics to avoid groups where someone could easily make multiple kills without even adjusting his aim.  That's what the Second Amendment nut cases have brought us to.

But to put the 4th of July in perspective:  there were nine fireworks deaths last year and something like 11,500 hospital visits caused by fireworks.  We expect this on the fourth.

Doug

1 hour ago, susieice said:

The shooter has been identified as Robert (Bobby) Crimo III, driving a 2010 silver Honda, and he is 22 years old. They also released his license plate number and said he is from the area. He is still on the loose.

Yeah, he'll blend right in.

Crimo.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• Thanks 1

Got him:

https://deadline.com/2022/07/five-dead-in-fourth-of-july-parade-shooting-in-highland-park-illinois-1235057748/

UPDATED with arrest, 4:55 PM: Police have arrested a person of interest in the horrific Fourth shooting at a Fourth of July Parade near Chicago. Highland Park Police Chief Lou Jogmen said in a news conference that officers initiated a traffic stop of the subject and “that subject did flee. A brief pursuit went on. Ultimately they were able to get the subject stopped … in Lake Forest. The subject was taken into custody without incident.”

The idiot hardly left the neighborhood.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

4th Of July Parade Shooting Person Of Interest Is Chicago-Area Rapper; Videos Have Shooting Imagery

https://deadline.com/2022/07/parade-shooting-suspect-chicago-rapper-awake-the-rapper-1235057829/

https://genius.com/Awake-toy-soldier-lyrics

Well, I expect Insanity won’t be too hard for him to plead.