Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoppers react to £9.35 tub of Lurpak

Silver

Food prices continue to rocket across the UK due to soaring inflation, Brexit and a cost of living crisis.

Economists from the LSE Centre for Economic Performance found that the UK’s departure from the EU caused a six per cent increase in British food prices.

According to retail data company Kantar, shoppers can expect to spend £380 more on their grocery bills this year as food price inflation hits a 13-year high.

The cost of food is now at its highest rate since 2009, adding to rising costs for gas, electricity and petrol.

And in May, the Office for National Statistics found that the price of pasta had risen by 50 per cent since last year.

Shoppers react to £9.35 tub of Lurpak: ‘Stop the world I want to get off’ | The Independent

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Sad 3

Hell's bells, that's ridiculous. I'm not completely surprised though, even the smaller Lurpaks have a higher price tag.

Every week when I do my online shop prices have just gone up and up, and not by just a few pence either. For example cheddar cheese which used to cost £2.00 went up to £2.50, now it's £2.85. - and that's just for one item on my shopping list. Increases like that soon add up.

• Like 1

It seems some supermarkets have started putting security tags on cheese (and other foods) as though they were high value items:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10982919/Sainsburys-chief-warns-pressure-budgets-Lurpak-butter-price-goes-5-90-7-25.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Food prices continue to rocket across the UK due to soaring inflation, Brexit and a cost of living crisis." :lol:

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 10:19 AM, The Silver Shroud said:

Food prices continue to rocket across the UK due to soaring inflation, Brexit and a cost of living crisis.

Economists from the LSE Centre for Economic Performance found that the UK’s departure from the EU caused a six per cent increase in British food prices.

According to retail data company Kantar, shoppers can expect to spend £380 more on their grocery bills this year as food price inflation hits a 13-year high.

The cost of food is now at its highest rate since 2009, adding to rising costs for gas, electricity and petrol.

And in May, the Office for National Statistics found that the price of pasta had risen by 50 per cent since last year.

Shoppers react to £9.35 tub of Lurpak: ‘Stop the world I want to get off’ | The Independent

I`m calling this out as fake news.

To begin with Lurpak has always been an expensive brand of butter but in your link its talking about the giant 750g tub. The regular 250g tub most people buy is £2.75. Those are Sainsburys prices. Do you know how large a 750g tub of Lurpak is? Regular brands of butter are much cheaper, we don`t have a diary shortage.

Pasta is made from flour, Ukraine and Russia are both major grain exporters, grain is used to make flour, that one is accurate.

• Like 1

What is Lurpak?   I looked at the photo on the link and it looks like a brand of something we call "cream cheese".  Is that it?  Soft white psuedo cheese?

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What is Lurpak?   I looked at the photo on the link and it looks like a brand of something we call "cream cheese".  Is that it?  Soft white psuedo cheese?

Elite butter brand, one of the tastiest there is.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I`m calling this out as fake news.

To begin with Lurpak has always been an expensive brand of butter but in your link its talking about the giant 750g tub. The regular 250g tub most people buy is £2.75. Those are Sainsburys prices. Do you know how large a 750g tub of Lurpak is? Regular brands of butter are much cheaper, we don`t have a diary shortage.

Pasta is made from flour, Ukraine and Russia are both major grain exporters, grain is used to make flour, that one is accurate.

I agree with you. Who cares anyway, a spreadable is a spreadable. It is only to make the bread a bit moist before you put the hot rashers of bacon in, with crunchy rind. White bread, no sauce, no salad, just the full salty flavour of the bacon!

You might notice an increase in your chip prices as Ukrainian cooking oil vanishes from the world market.

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

It's a Danish butter brand. A lur is an ancient viking instrument: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lur. Pak means package.

And since the Brits have left the EU, they have to pay taxes to import Danish products. That's why it's extra expensive.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1