Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid resign over Boris Johnson's 'lack of integrity'

Saru

Things are certainly heating up now:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10984725/Rishi-Sunak-Sajid-Javid-resign-end-Boris-Johnson.html

Boris Johnson is teetering on the brink tonight after Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid both dramatically quit his Cabinet in a seemingly coordinated attack.

The Chancellor and Health Secretary dropped their bombshells on the PM within minutes of each other, shortly after he issued a grovelling apology over his appointment of shamed MP Chris Pincher.

In his resignation letter, Mr Sunak told the PM that 'we cannot continue like this'.

Quite surprising actually, I wouldn't have expected to see such high-profile resignations at this point in time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

And the Conservative Party Vice Chairman, Bin Afolami, has now resigned as well:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bim-afolami-resigns-boris-johnson-b2116479.html

The Conservative Party’s vice chairman has resigned from his position during a televised interview, saying Boris Johnson no longer has the support of the country.

Bim Afolami told Talk TV Mr Johnson should resign from No 10 and said he “can’t serve under the prime minister”.

• Haha 1

Question is will Boris call it a day or maybe call a snap election. It will give the country the ultimate decision. :hmm:

5 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Question is will Boris call it a day or maybe call a snap election. It will give the country the ultimate decision. :hmm:

Not sure, but something has to give - this looks like a co-ordinated attempt to oust him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Saru said:

Not sure, but something has to give - this looks like a co-ordinated attempt to oust him.

Yes, I would say so. 

I would not expect Boris to give up at this stage, he has gone through more turbulent situations. But when big guns start to jump ship all bets are off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Yes, I would say so. 

I would not expect Boris to give up at this stage, he has gone through more turbulent situations. But when big guns start to jump ship all bets are off. 

Yeah I get the impression he has no intention of resigning unless his position becomes totally and utterly untenable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

At this point I hope neither. This is coming at the worst possible time. Not a fan of Boris as a politician but I think he is too valuable on the world stage curently and a resignation would destabilise the situation inside and outside the UK.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saru said:

Yeah I get the impression he has no intention of resigning unless his position becomes totally and utterly untenable.

Taking an overview, the UK could find itself waiting for a new prime minster and, if Starmer receives a fine, a new leader of the opposition and deputy while facing a big cost of living problem and a slowly escalating war in Ukraine. 

How the public see all this will be interesting. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Taking an overview, the UK could find itself waiting for a new prime minster and, if Starmer receives a fine, a new leader of the opposition and deputy while facing a big cost of living problem and a slowly escalating war in Ukraine. 

Despite my views on the UK and Boris, I cant believe I'm saying this but I think he should stay in power for a few more months. Purely to see whats happening in Ukraine. Theres strong rumours Ukraine are gonna launch a major counter attack in August and if you looked how fast they've retreated it may be true. I may have gone off a bit but its my reason why.

• Like 2

Just now, ThereWeAreThen said:

Despite my views on the UK and Boris, I cant believe I'm saying this but I think he should stay in power for a few more months. Purely to see whats happening in Ukraine. Theres strong rumours Ukraine are gonna launch a major counter attack in August and if you looked how fast they've retreated it may be true. I may have gone off a bit but its my reason why.

Its a good point, there are times to navel gaze and times to focus on the real problems at hand. Today is definitely one of those times when real problems should be the priority. 

If it becomes obvious the public are of the same opinion then the organised rebellion might start to look a bit, out on a limb. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Its a good point, there are times to navel gaze and times to focus on the real problems at hand. Today is definitely one of those times when real problems should be the priority. 

If it becomes obvious the public are of the same opinion then the organised rebellion might start to look a bit, out on a limb. 

What real problems has Johnson  solved, or attempted to solve?  We need him gone and we need a serious MP as PM.

2 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

What real problems has Johnson  solved, or attempted to solve?  We need him gone and we need a serious MP as PM.

I vote for Lord Frost. :tu: 

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

There still isn`t enough support for a no confidence vote to be successful.

But if he does decide to go then Mogg for PM!!!!!

• Like 1

Boris fights back.

Nadhim Zahawi has been appointed Chancellor and Steve Barclay is the new Health Secretary - as Boris Johnson clings on to Downing Street by his fingertips tonight after Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid both dramatically quit his Cabinet in a seemingly coordinated attack.

The PM is engaged in a desperate damage limitation battle in the wake of the bombshells from the now-former Chancellor and Health Secretary, who walked out within minutes of each other berating his lack of 'integrity' and competence.

Brexit minister Jacob Rees-Mogg was sent out to bat in broadcast studios tonight, insisting there is no 'constitutional' reason for the PM to go. 

Asked whether he would really survive a fresh Tory confidence vote, Mr Rees-Mogg told Sky News: 'He might very well win another.' 

Mr Rees-Mogg said Mr Johnson's mood after the resignations was 'business as usual' and he still hoped he would beat Robert Walpole's record of 21 years in No10.

Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid resign with Zahawi and Barclay in to help Boris cling to No.10 | Daily Mail Online

Edited by The Silver Shroud

Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid... I will probably be called racisit, but seems to me, UK goverming structures are overrepresented with racial minorities... Somewhere on YT Simon from Debunked History covered this issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

No link sadly but I was reading earlier on that one of the big public opinion bodies ran a survey asking the public to describe Johnson.

The most commonly used word was 'liar'.

Think it's pretty clear what the public think of him.

• Like 1

The 1922 Committee are planning to change the rules so they can have another Vote Of No Confidence in Boris Johnson. What on Earth are they doing? Everyone knows you can't have a second vote, just because you didn't like the last result.

Edited by The Silver Shroud

Seems that things are moving behind the scenes to remove him sooner rather than later:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sir Keir Starmer has vowed to resign as Labour leader if he is issued with a fixed penalty notice by Durham Police for a possible breach of Covid rules.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-statement-resign-beergate-b2074889.html

Labour leader Keir Starmer has so far failed to deny reports circulating in Labour party and movement circles that he has been issued with a ‘fixed penalty notice’ fine over his ‘beergate’ lockdown get-together in Durham last year.

https://skwawkbox.org/2022/07/01/exclusive-no-denial-from-starmer-that-he-has-received-beergate-fixed-penalty/#:~:text=Labour leader Keir Starmer has so far failed,his ‘beergate’ lockdown get-together in Durham last year.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

He's not an MP.

Yeah I know but if long held rules on confidence votes can be changed over night ... ;)

• Like 1