Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biblical inerrancy

Doug1066

2 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

You skipped over the first inconsistency. 

First: Let US make man in OUR image

then

Second: So God created man in HIS own image

cormac

A case of the Royal We, surely?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

I’m just going to say this because I need to get it off my chest.  Let’s just say that God is real.  Do you really think that a “Loving God” or “God of Love” would or could need to go off on people with a bloody temper tantrum?  I mean what kind of bloody tyrant are Bible writers afraid of?  Answer = Human Kind.  Primitive fears of conquest and domination right there and I’ll be glad to tell you why.

The real God, if it exists, doesn’t need to go off.  It could just hit pause and do whatever the eff it wanted.  I rest my case.

The Biblical God, as written about (OT to NT), is a bipolar and self-absorbed deity who is essentially seeking validation from His subjects by any means necessary. 

An actual Universal God by definition would be so incomprehensible to humanity that there is no reason to believe we could ever know anything meaningful about Him/Her/It. At the very least anything one thinks they “know” about such a deity would be such a minuscule percentage as to be forever pointless to even mention. 

cormac

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

A case of the Royal We, surely?

Not likely as the word for god used in Genesis 1 is Elohim, a plural derivative of the Canaanite god EL who actually was a creator deity. In Genesis 2 it changes to YAHWEH who originally was a Midianite storm/mountain deity. Many Biblical scholars see Genesis 1 and 2 as two different creation stories merged in an attempt to show EL and YAHWEH as one and the same deity. Something that actually did occur within Judaism. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Not likely as the word for god used in Genesis 1 is Elohim, a plural derivative of the Canaanite god EL who actually was a creator deity. In Genesis 2 it changes to YAHWEH who originally was a Midianite storm/mountain deity. Many Biblical scholars see Genesis 1 and 2 as two different creation stories merged in an attempt to show EL and YAHWEH as one and the same deity. Something that actually did occur within Judaism. 

cormac

Ohh absolutely, there’s an entire unit of work in the Aussie religious education curriculum exploring the “doubled up” stories like that and exploring why they’re doubled, the reason both might have been included and so forth…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

The Biblical God, as written about (OT to NT), is a bipolar and self-absorbed deity who is essentially seeking validation from His subjects by any means necessary. 

An actual Universal God by definition would be so incomprehensible to humanity that there is no reason to believe we could ever know anything meaningful about Him/Her/It. At the very least anything one thinks they “know” about such a deity would be such a minuscule percentage as to be forever pointless to even mention. 

cormac

No wonder the gnostics claimed that god was the devil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

You skipped over the first inconsistency. 

First: Let US make man in OUR image

then

Second: So God created man in HIS own image

cormac

So, God is more than one then.  In the Bible’s view anyway.

Cormac, we forgot.  It’s Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  The three are one.

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

So, God is more than one then.  In the Bible’s view anyway.

I think it was the first semi-successful merger of the EL and YAHWEH stories. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Guyver said:

Cormac, we forgot.  It’s Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  The three are one.

That idea came later as it wasn’t original to either El or Yahweh. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

Winner!  You win.  Thread closed from further replies.  Lol.  JK.  Seriously though.

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Winner!  You win.  Thread closed from further replies.  Lol.  JK.  Seriously though.

Sorry, there’s just A LOT that many believers and even some researchers either don’t know, or simply ignore, about the origins of the Judeo-Christian belief system. And much organized religion doesn’t want them to question. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can say from experience, them hillbilly’s can’t play.  But these can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

I can say from experience, them hillbilly’s can’t play.  But these can.

Hey now, I resemble that remark. :P:w00t:

cormac

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Hu... 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

The Hu... 

~

:nw:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

That's the kind of reply I amlooking for.  Thanks.

Doug

You might want to dig into some of Henry Cadbury's writing. He was a Hicksite theologian, from Haverford I think, who shredded the accuracy of the Bible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Hey now, I resemble that remark. :P:w00t:

cormac

So do I, in Missouri we’re I grew up reidneck was a term of endearment hell I am one myself! :lol: Yet, when ever I use that term here in reference to a certain political party everyone gets their panties bunched up, go figure!:wacko::lol:

Lost John the Fiddle Player

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SHaYap said:

The Hu... 

~

This is my favorite meditation artist, when I need to find that inner spiritual peace we all look for Imee Ooi never fails me, hope you enjoy it!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

This is my favorite meditation artist, when I need to find that inner spiritual peace we all look for Imee Ooi never fails me, hope you enjoy it!:tu:

The best way to practice inner silence is with noise and distraction.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

AND if there were "only One God" like has been shouted at me a few times, there would only be "only One Religion".    No one would be able to think of anything else because - God, right?   All the excuses that god let's this and expects that and "free will"  is nonsense.   We have free will if we choose, but it makes no sense that a deity would make laws and then give us the ability to break those "laws".

The entire Trinity makes no sense.  God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  The idea that the 'Spirit' of God impregnated Mary.  That the spawn of spiritual rape could levitate on the surface of the water, change the molecular structure of water, and return to life after 3 days dead is quite preposterous.  

In short...The Bible is the Word of God and it is inerrant!  ...but only in the context of the Word of God...which is the same thing as saying, The only way that Harry Potter makes any sense is in the context of the Harry Potter books and movies.

To quote Spock...it's illogical.   There is no thought process except in the mind of man.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joc said:

The entire Trinity makes no sense.  God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  The idea that the 'Spirit' of God impregnated Mary.  That the spawn of spiritual rape could levitate on the surface of the water, change the molecular structure of water, and return to life after 3 days dead is quite preposterous.  

In short...The Bible is the Word of God and it is inerrant!  ...but only in the context of the Word of God...which is the same thing as saying, The only way that Harry Potter makes any sense is in the context of the Harry Potter books and movies.

To quote Spock...it's illogical.   There is no thought process except in the mind of man.  

The Trinity was invented by later church fathers.

William Penn wrote a tract titled 'No Cross, No Crown' which completely debunks it in the Bible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Trinity was invented by later church fathers.

William Penn wrote a tract titled 'No Cross, No Crown' which completely debunks it in the Bible.

Is the Crown supposed to mean the Crown of England or the Crown of Believers?

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Is the Crown supposed to mean the Crown of England or the Crown of Believers?

The crown of Jesus.

Many early Quakers adopted a Unitarian stance that he was just a teacher.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked