Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biblical inerrancy

Doug1066

I was reminded of a Biblical error I haven’t seen in a while: 

1 John 5:7 - The King James Bible states, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." Most modern translations agree that this was an uninspired and erroneous addition to the Latin Vulgate used to support the unscriptural doctrine of the Trinity. This addition was not present in the original Greek manuscripts of the New Testament!

This verse should read "And it is the Spirit that bears witness because the Spirit is the truth" (HBFV). Verse 8 of the chapter should read, "For there are three that bear witness on the earth: the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these three witness unto the one truth."

https://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/bible-errors.html

and 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Historical_Account_of_Two_Notable_Corruptions_of_Scripture

So much for Biblical Inerrancy IMO. 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

The only real authentic history is that of the Scriptures, which history, geology, archeology, geology, and historians support.

Even Israeli archeologists have serious doubts.

But why would thàt bother you, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the world certainly has its ways of disabusing us of the notion that God is our great sugar daddy in the sky and that the Western concept of human morality is far from universal in any respect. Reality, in the end, is merely what we make of it, our sagas, our customs, our religion and jurisprudence, heavily laden with dollops of biblical wisdom for good measure. We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and by dint of our own efforts and artifice create this monumental artifact of civilization within which we reside. As far as we may, we cloister ourselves away from the harsh reality that is human existence like primitive savages, huddled around a fire, holding at bay the long night with its shadows and perils which, inevitably, claim us each and every one.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4

On 7/14/2022 at 5:48 AM, XenoFish said:

As a soulless ginger I have zero worries about heaven or hell.

YHWH

The people in Noah's day felt the same as you do today. For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.  Matthew 24:38

On 7/14/2022 at 7:54 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Considering that he was "allowed" to kill people and law enforcement finally after many years caught him and punished him, no god involved.   If God had taken care of him how did he slip through God's cracks to begin with.  Was it a "lesson" for the people he killed and their families?   The cognitive dissonance of what you said is painful!  I have just added to my long list of ignored users.

Smoke and mirrors!!

8 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

The people in Noah's day felt the same as you do today. For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.  Matthew 24:38

Consider that particular flood didn't happen, I've got no worries. Plus I can swim. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:04 AM, Abramelin said:

Even Israeli archeologists have serious doubts.

But why would thàt bother you, eh?

It doesn't bother me because ancient scrolls dating back two thousand years ago testify to the authenticity of YHWH's word, the Bible. I'm not interested in what a mere man has to say. Period.

Edited by larryp
the details!!

1 minute ago, larryp said:

It doesn't bother me because ancient scrolls dating back two thousand years ago testify to the authenticity of YHWH's word, the Bible. I'm not interested in what a mere man has to say.

Then you can explain why the word “Hell” exists NOWHERE in the original texts, not in word nor in meaning. Also why “Thou shall not murder” was changed to “Thou shall not kill”. Also why in 1 John 5:7 - The King James Bible it states, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one” yet that verse DOES NOT exist in the original texts. Hmm? 

cormac

• Thanks 3

On 7/14/2022 at 5:25 AM, Will Due said:

Not only that, but why would you let a person committed to doing such things enter the hereafter? It seems to me that the mortal life is definitely a testing ground. A test to see what you will be committed to.

That's food for thought!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Then you can explain why the word “Hell” exists NOWHERE in the original texts, not in word nor in meaning. Also why “Thou shall not murder” was changed to “Thou shall not kill”. Also why in 1 John 5:7 - The King James Bible it states, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one” yet that verse DOES NOT exist in the original texts. Hmm? 

cormac

You can't possibly win an argument with people who consider ignorance a virtue or think their great sugar daddy in the sky loves them because they're so willfully stupid.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 2:14 PM, cormac mac airt said:

According to the Bible the earliest mention of Yahweh as the name for God came from the Midianites. THAT’S in the Bible. The historical reason for it is. . ."

cormac

Hey Cormac, your first two sentences may be correct; however, the rest is pure fantasy, played out in the minds of men; it's not biblical, man.  Sorry!!

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You can't possibly win an argument with people who consider ignorance a virtue or think their great sugar daddy in the sky loves them because they're so willfully stupid.

I’m not trying to win, merely pointing out his deficits to him. 

cormac

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

I’m not trying to win, merely pointing out his deficits to him. 

cormac

Might as well be praising them as they consider those deficits, virtues. We're dealing with Sunday School mentalities, here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, larryp said:

Hey Cormac, your first two sentences may be correct; however, the rest is pure fantasy, played out in the minds of men; it's not biblical, man.  Sorry!!

Nope as it’s a matter of textual and archaeological record, and in the case of the origin of the name Yahweh both Biblical AND historical record, therefore part of history. And those are just a few of MANY errors in the Bible. That you know little to nothing about them shows a considerable lack of Biblical education. Sorry to hear it. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, larryp said:

Something else that apparently needs pointed out to you:  the Midianites WEREN’T Hebrews as the former worshipped a completely different pantheon originally. 

cormac

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 5:25 AM, Will Due said:

Not only that, but why would you let a person committed to doing such things enter the hereafter? It seems to me that the mortal life is definitely a testing ground. A test to see what you will be committed to.

In my opinion it's either one of two things.

One is being committed to iniquity which means to knowingly and deliberately do the wrong thing constantly.

And the other is not.

If this is the case then to be created with the chance of committing oneself to the ideal of becoming "perfect as the Father in heaven is perfect" then in my opinion it's only fair that if life is everlasting that there be some sort of stopgap to keep those who are not committed in the right way be kept from proceeding hereafter. The mortal life is long enough to decide which way to go. But if life were to have been accidentally cut short where a person didn't have enough time to make such a choice then certainly without a doubt, a person like that will be allowed over to give them the time in the hereafter to make such a choice. Otherwise, how would it be fair?

This life is all about choices. Even in the hereafter that will not change.

That makes sense; that makes perfect sense, and Will is Catholic. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Nope as it’s a matter of textual and archaeological record . . ."

cormac

Hey Cormac, it's not biblical, man; plain and simple. Period.

How many versions of the Bible are there?  Yes, there are errors galore.  There are translation errors and transcription errors.  Taking the Bible too literal is another source of errors.  Perhaps the most famous one, I think, is that of Bishop Ussher.  He did a literal reading of Genesis to determine the age of the world (about 6000 years).  He made a bad assumption that the list of generations in Genesis were consecutive and complete.  He did not consider the possibility that there were holes in the lineage.  Science has been able to give us a low end to the age of the Universe and it is juuuuust a bit north of 6000.

Here’s the thing. even with such errors, the Bible is still inerrant.  What is important is what is the Bible inerrant in?  The Bible is made of 66 books whose writing spans about 1500 years.  Through all that time even to today, the message remains fairly consistent.  The Bible is simply the Bona fides of Jesus.  The Bible is a canon, not a complete work.  Don’t put any less or any more into it.  It is just the story of Jesus.  It is also a guidebook into human nature.

Edited by RavenHawk
  • Like 1

Just now, larryp said:

Hey Cormac, it's not biblical, man; plain and simple. Period.

bull****! Numbers 31, Yahweh commands the Israelites to destroy Midian. THAT’S Biblical. 

cormac

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

How many versions of the Bible are there?  Yes, there are errors galore.  There are translation errors and transcription errors.  Taking the Bible too literal is another source of errors.  Perhaps the most famous one, I think, is that of Bishop Ussher.  He did a literal reading of Genesis to determine the age of the world (about 6000 years).  He made a bad assumption that the list of generations in Genesis were consecutive and complete.  He did not consider the possibility that there were holes in the lineage.  Science has been able to give us a low end to the age of the Universe and it is juuuuust a bit north of 6000.

Here’s the thing. even with such errors, the Bible is still inerrant.  What is important is what is the Bible inerrant in?  The Bible is made of 66 books whose writing spans about 1500 years.  Through all that time even to today, the message remains fairly consistent.  The Bible is simply the Bona fides of Jesus.  The Bible is a canon, not a complete work.  Don’t put any less or any more into it.  It is just the story of Jesus.  It is also a guidebook into human nature.

Actually the relevant sections of the NT are Paul’s interpretation/reinterpretation of Christianity, while never having known the man Jesus himself. That’s hardly inerrant. 

cormac

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

bull****! Numbers 31, Yahweh commands the Israelites to destroy Midian. THAT’S Biblical. 

cormac

What does that have to do with the tea in China? LOL . . 

2 minutes ago, larryp said:

What does that have to do with the tea in China? LOL . . 

It shows you know nothing about the peoples involved. 

cormac

• Like 5

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked