Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biblical inerrancy

Doug1066

12 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

The earth being round is backed up. It is backed up when YHWH told the Jews two hundred years in advance that the Medes and the Persians would liberate them from Egyptian bondage. When YHWH mentioned Mesopotamian King Nebuchadnezzar was backed up. When YHWH instructed the Israelites to bury their trash, long before Louis Pasteur and the discovery of microbes was backed up. I could go on and on . . . So, what part of that don't you understand, Piney?

The earth being round was known prior to the Bible.

Please show a dated source where these prophesies are true. Such as writings that predate the events.

My people buried their trash and didn't even have a writing system.

Please provide links to the archaeologists, geologists and historians who verify the Bible.

The lack of understanding is your problem. Not mine.

^_^

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

The earth being round was known prior to the Bible.

YHWH

Wrong: 

Moses knew in 1400 BCE that the earth was round. Try again, Piney.

Edited by larryp
the details!!
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

Wrong: 

Moses knew in 1400 BCE that the earth was round. Try again, Piney.

Where's the photograph of the Paleo-Hebrew inscription proving this?

Why are you claiming Moses was real when Jewish scholars say he's  fictional? So are the Jews wrong about their own history?

33 minutes ago, larryp said:

Come out and play, Piney.

I am, and quite enjoying it! ^_^

• Like 5

1 hour ago, larryp said:

Come out and play, Piney.

So what’s the game Larry. Watching you pull smoke and mirrors out your buttocks, because you’ve been doing that the entire thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, larryp said:

Moses knew in 1400 BCE that the earth was round.

Every ancient sailor with a working brain would have known the earth was round.

Edited to add:

Round as in spherical.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Edited to add:

Round as in spherical.

I'm more than certain the Arawak-Taino traders paddling their outrigger canoes from Puerto Rico to Cuba then Savannah, Georgia knew it was at least curved.  :whistle:

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, larryp said:

The creed of Constantine sums up in his own words how he polluted the correct way to worship YHWH. All allow his own words to testify:

Creed of Constantinople Church

“I renounce all customs, rites, legalisms, unleavened breads and sacrifices of lambs of the Hebrews, and all the other feasts of the Hebrews, sacrifices, prayers, aspirations, purifications, sanctifications, and propitiations, and fasts and New Moons, and Sabbaths,and superstitions, and hymns and chants, and observances, and synagogues.  

Absolutely everything Jewish, every [TORAH] Law, rite and custom and if afterwards I shall wish to deny and return to Jewish superstition, or shall be found eating with Jews, or feasting with them, or secretly conversing and condemning the Christian religion instead of openly confuting them and condemning their vain faith, then let the trembling of Cain and the leprosy of Gehazi cleave to me, as well as the legal punishments to which I acknowledge myself liable. And may I be an anathema in the world to come, and may my soul be set down with Satan and the devils.” Stefano Assemani, Acta Sanctorium Martyrum Orientalium at Occidentalium, Vol. 1, Rome 1748, page 105. [Emphasis mine]

Wow......Catholic antisemitism was quite pronounced but this wasn't Constantine. He worshipped Elagabalus i.e. Sol Invictus.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Sorry to say, as an ex-academic, the sort of Christian Fundamentalists I used to deal with tended to have actually read and often memorized the Bible so they could regurgitate it at you.  It is odd that having done so that they remained completely convinced that the obviously flawed document was perfect in every way... Until someone pointed out the inconsistencies, mistakes, contradictions etc. to them. which they would inevitably treat as a personal attack rather than an opportunity to correct a misinterpretation.

Yes, I remember as a kid spending time with my aunt who taught us how to find anything in the bible quickly.  We actually read it, that was her hobby, reading the bible.   And then when I was 19 and in the army I rented a hovel off base.  One Sunday a Jehova's Witness showed up to "talk about the bible".  I knew before they got to the porch where my friend and I were sitting that he was Jehova's Witness because he had a boy with him that was obviously not his.   He greeted us and said he wanted to talk to us about the bible, I told him I wasn't interested and he misquoted something, (cherry picked) and I quoted it back to him completely, which meant the opposite of what he wanted to say.   He threw his little flyer at me and left quickly.   I was glad we had those lessons, though at the time I would have rather been outside playing.   My mother's family were very religious but my mother was not.   My father had a lot of guilt so he did take us to church every Sunday except when he wanted to go camping or fishing, but luckily he was mad at the Baptists and took us to a Presbyterian church where we did actually study, rather than get yelled at about being sinners that deserved to burn in hell.   I am not kind to people who assault me with bible quotes in order to manipulate me into giving them money or time (or both).   I probably would have enjoyed the scholarly Christians when I was young, but pointing out the inconsistencies would have gotten old.

I have a friend who was the youngest of 8 children and she was very smart.  When her family fought or argued they used bible verses so she memorized the bible in order to defend herself in an argument.   It makes me laugh to think about how poeple could argue that way.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

Wow......Catholic antisemitism was quite pronounced but this wasn't Constantine. He worshipped Elagabalus i.e. Sol Invictus.

Piney apparently it’s not even Nicaean to begin with but Medieval. 

https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2010/05/17/hunting-the-wild-misquotation/

cormac

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, Larry's literacy is something to be desired. :unsure2:

His knowledge base leaves a lot to be desired. After all attributing something to a man (Moses) who never existed is both hilarious and embarrassing. 

cormac

• Thanks 1

I’m not nearly as biblically literate as I once was (mostly because when I left the faith my brain was filled with better nonsense that I at least knew was nonsense) but one of the reasons why I had left was because I actually investigates some of the claims against and thought ‘Wow this is a bunch of nonsense”.

I then believed in other types of nonsense until I learned that was bunkus as well, so I’ve slowly over time became less and less dependent on faith based beliefs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Why are you claiming Moses was real when Jewish scholars say he's  fictional? So are the Jews wrong about their own history?

YHWH

The Jews were wrong about many things. For example, they were wrong when they started idol worship, rejected Jesus, and were very wrong about Moses. Period.

4 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

The Jews were wrong about many things. For example, they were wrong when they started idol worship, rejected Jesus, and were very wrong about Moses. Period.

American Evangelical antisemitism and ignorance at it's finest!!!!!!!

5 stars!!!!! :nw:

But you still have to show the historians and archeologists who proved Moses existed and their papers. ^_^

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Edited to add:

Round as in spherical.

YHWH

They sure didn't know it during Columbus day. You remember Abramelin, your brethren believing in the flat earth fantasy. LOL . . . 

14 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

The Jews originated with idol worship and polytheism and they rejected Jesus because they were expecting to find a military messiah to defeat the Romans and NOT a religious one. Moses is STILL a fantasy. 

cormac

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

They sure didn't know it during Columbus day. You remember Abramelin, your brethren believing in the flat earth fantasy. LOL . . . 

Try again: 

Myth of flat-Earth prevalence

Beginning in the 19th century, a historical myth arose which held that the predominant cosmological doctrine during the Middle Ages was that the Earth was flat. An early proponent of this myth was the American writer Washington Irving, who maintained that Christopher Columbus had to overcome the opposition of churchmen to gain sponsorship for his voyage of exploration. Later significant advocates of this view were John William Draper and Andrew Dickson White, who used it as a major element in their advocacy of the thesis[126] that there was a long-lasting and essential conflict between science and religion.[127] Some studies of the historical connections between science and religion have demonstrated that theories of their mutual antagonism ignore examples of their mutual support.[128][129]

Subsequent studies of medieval science have shown that most scholars in the Middle Ages, including those read by Christopher Columbus, maintained that the Earth was spherical.[130]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

cormac

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

That's a out of date American myth. They just thought the distance to China was too far to make the trip and Columbus believed it was closer. Viking sailors hit North America and Basque and Breton fishing fleets were sailing as far as their supplies would take them and probably hit North America too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

They did know during Columbus' time. They only did not expect to find the Americas on their way to Japan.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

It’s not a fantasy it’s a matter of fact. Early Canaanite texts show Yahweh in Israel was at first considered a “son of El”. These PREDATE the Israelites. 

cormac

It's a fantasy, and it doesn't hold water. The Canaanites had many gods, but only one had the personal name of YHWH, and no one was like Him. Period.

23 minutes ago, larryp said:

YHWH

His brethren were Vikings and they believed no such thing considering they beat Columbus here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Since archaeologists and other scholars have shown that not only didn’t the Biblical Moses exist but he also never wrote those books attributed to him . . ."

cormac

If he never existed, how could he have written the books? Your rational needs work, pal.

43 minutes ago, larryp said:

You remember Abramelin, your brethren believing in the flat earth fantasy. LOL . . . 

I case you are referring to my username, "Abra Melin" is short for "Abraham Melin" with "Melin" being Coptic for something like 'protector' or 'guardian'.

"Abramelin" was supposedly an Egyptian magician.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, larryp said:

It's a fantasy, and it doesn't hold water. The Canaanites had many gods, but only one had the personal name of YHWH, and no one was like Him. Period.

The Canaanites ACTUALLY CALL YAHWEH a “son of El”. Willful ignorance doesn’t help you a bit. 

ETA:  If Yahweh was a Canaanite god then HE WASN’T THE CREATOR. :rolleyes:

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked